XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

SRS Air Bag Light On After Big Guy Sat

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 09:57 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default SRS Air Bag Light On After Big Guy Sat

Hello,

I have this friend who is very tall, he moved the passenger seat all the way back and as down as it would go. Then after I left him and I was driving home the yellow air bag light would come on and off in relation to bumps on the road. So if I drove over a rough bump it would come on and then go away.

Eventually it just stayed on. I went under the passenger seat, without removing it and made sure all the connectors were tight. There isn't a lot of room to put my hand in there though.

It went away for a while, but then another friend who is tall and very heavy sat and moved the seat. Now the SRS light will come on, but go away the next time I start the car.

Does anybody know which would be the connector that is related to the air bag sensor? I see there is one (if you are facing forward) that is on the right side of the seat and it is attached to the top or ceiling of the seat. I suspect it is this one?

Thanks

Old 10-14-2016, 10:55 AM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Maybe it pulled or chafed a wire under the seat. The connector being connected and tight wouldn't be enough to tell you that though.

You should probably get an advanced scan tool that is capable of reading SRS codes to confirm the issue is with the wiring, I can't see how it could be anything but related to the seat area. Look up the codes @ https://www.obd-codes.com/

The following users liked this post:
FrankZ06 (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankZ06
Hello,

I have this friend who is very tall, he moved the passenger seat all the way back and as down as it would go. Then after I left him and I was driving home the yellow air bag light would come on and off in relation to bumps on the road. So if I drove over a rough bump it would come on and then go away.

Eventually it just stayed on. I went under the passenger seat, without removing it and made sure all the connectors were tight. There isn't a lot of room to put my hand in there though.

It went away for a while, but then another friend who is tall and very heavy sat and moved the seat. Now the SRS light will come on, but go away the next time I start the car.

Does anybody know which would be the connector that is related to the air bag sensor? I see there is one (if you are facing forward) that is on the right side of the seat and it is attached to the top or ceiling of the seat. I suspect it is this one?

Thanks
The passenger weight sensing module is under the passenger seat and is a 10 way connector (Black)
The passenger seat belt tensioner is a 4 way connector under the seat (gray)
There are additional spatial sensors in the A pillar and above the headliner.

Be aware, even if the connector just came unplugged, if you have an SRS warning light on, you have no airbags. None, not just on the passenger side.
Also, the SRS system will not reset itself. It must be reset with the proper tool.

Any dealer or indy worth his salt will not simply reset this for you either.

They will run a diagnostic as you should be if you're going to tackle this yourself. So you'll need to get up to speed on the tools available that are capable of an SRS reset, or go to the shop. You'll want an electrical schematic too and the shop manual.

SRS systems are not complex but care must be taken when working around airbags, though the actual airbag isn't likely an issue in your case.

Please let us know how this progresses.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
FrankZ06 (10-14-2016), Xeno (07-22-2022)
Old 10-14-2016, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Default A little more info on the passenger occupant sensor

As this system may not trip the SRS warning but you say it's going on and off, which is strange because once it trips, the SRS should remain on until serviced.

But back the the yellow light. First, from the manual:

Sensors
WARNING: Prior to the removal of any SRS sensors and before disconnecting any SRS sensor electrical connectors, the battery ground cable must be disconnected and a period of one minute allowed to elapse.

NOTE:
The SRS sensors do not contain any serviceable components. The SRS consists of the following sensors:
Occupant Position Sensors
The four sensors are strategically placed to detect the presence and movement of the passenger front seat occupant.
The occupant position sensor system uses ultrasound at an operating frequency of 40 kilohertz to monitor the passenger front seat occupant. The SRS uses four ultrasonic sensors, one in the A-pillar, one at the top of the instrument panel console and two in the headliner. The sensors determine the presence and position of the passenger front seat occupant with respect to the passenger air bag deployment door. The sensors determine passenger air bag module deployment decisions by classifying occupants as either 'in position' or 'out of position' according to the predetermined 'keep out zone'. The sensors are part of a system that is sophisticated enough to be unaffected by body extremities (hands and feet) and respond only to head or body movements.

And then this:

Front Passenger Seat Occupant Classification Sensor NOTE:
The front seat occupant classification sensor is serviced as a calibrated assembly.
Individual components of the front seat passenger weight sensing system are not serviceable. The system must be replaced as a complete unit and due to its sophistication, each replacement system requires calibration. To avoid the need to provide calibration equipment to each dealer, a pre-calibrated service kit is available. The following components are combined and calibrated during manufacture to form the front seat passenger weight sensing system:
• Passenger seat cushion
• Silicone filled bladder
• W eight sensing control module
• Pressure sensor
The weight sensing control module is mounted under the passenger front seat. The silicone filled bladder is integrated into the seat cushion and the pressure sensor, which is attached to the bladder, is mounted under the seat.
The silicone filled bladder responds to weight changes on the passenger front seat. The pressure sensor responds to these pressure changes and provides an appropriate signal to the weight sensing control module. The weight sensing control module processes the input signal received from the pressure sensor and makes it available to the RCM via the controller area network (CAN). In addition, the weight sensing control module performs self-diagnostic functions on the system, with any malfunctions being notified to the RCM accordingly.
The front seat passenger weight sensing system responds to the occupancy of the passenger front seat in accordance with the following:
• Passenger front seat status 'EMPTY' — Passenger air bag status 'OFF' — Passenger Air Bag Deactivation (PAD) indicator 'OFF'
• Passenger front seat status 'OCCUPIED' (small occupant) — Passenger air bag status 'OFF' — PAD indicator 'ON'
• Passenger front seat status 'OCCUPIED' (large occupant) — Passenger air bag status 'ON' — PAD indicator 'OFF'. PAD indicator 'ON' if the occupant position sensor detects an occupant out of position
The SRS via the RCM, monitors and processes data from the front seat passenger weight sensing system and several other sensors before making a deployment decision. Malfunction of the sensing system or associated circuits will cause the SRS indicator to illuminate.

While this information gives you a rudimentary understanding of the occupy sensor's operation, a proper diagnostic tool should be able to isolate what specific part of the SRS is malfunctioning. (The proper tool will provide detailed codes). I hope it's basic wiring vs. the seat bladder. A bit of a PIA, that one...

Please let us know what you find.

Last edited by Sean W; 10-14-2016 at 04:15 PM.
FrankZ06 (10-15-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 08:50 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Repair Shop Report

Hello,

So I took it to the shop, it turned out to be a problem in the steering wheel. The fault code was B2293(29) "Driver Air Bag Circuit 1 Open".

A part called the "SRS Clock Spring" had to be replaced.

It was just a coincidence that the same night my tall friend sat and moved the seat all the way back that the code came on.

When I took the car in, and after the technician read the code he was able to get the light to come back on by quickly turning the steering wheel from left to right, the next day I was able to do it by tapping on the steering wheel.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Sean W (10-27-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

Terrific and glad it was resolved. Clock spring is comparatively less expensive than the occupation sensor parts. Thanks for letting us know.

FrankZ06 (10-27-2016)