XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Stock Bluetooth Phone Interface too Quiet

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 08:17 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Stock Bluetooth Phone Interface too Quiet

As the title says, in my 2006 Super, I have a stock phone bluetooth interface. The problem is, when I'm on a call, I have a hard time hearing the caller. I have confirmed that they can hear me fine, but it sounds like there is only one or two speakers that transmit the audio from the call.

I have the telephone volume all the way up (car) and the bluetooth volume all the way up (Motorola Razr Maxx), but it's not loud enough.

When I'm driving on unbroken pavement in nice weather, I can barely hear at highway speeds. Recently, someone called but it was raining, and I couldn't make out what they were saying.

After hanging up, the stereo kicked back on and it was LOUD AND CLEAR.

Has anyone had this issue? Has anyone figured out how to convince the car to use all the speakers and amps to blast me out of my seat with an incoming call? There is a pre-set for calls, and I'd love to be able, no, to NEED to turn it down from max!

Is there some backwards, proprietary, Jag-thought-this-was-a-good-idea, dealer setting that says use 1 speaker or all speakers to 'play' telephone calls? Can I flip that switch?

I'm befuddled as to why at max volume, it is barely adequate, but the stereo is capable of so much more.

Full disclosure, I am a semi-reformed bass head with thousands of watts of amplifiers doing nothing in my garage. I know what loud is, the factory system is not loud, but it is adequate for most uses. The cell interface is probably -10db of max stereo, and I don't see a reason for that.

For anyone thinking 10db is a small number, it means it is 1/10th the volume.

Even if I could get a 3db boost, it would suffice.

Any idears?

Old 04-28-2014, 10:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Under "MENU" , "VOLUME PRESET", do you have "PHONE" turned up to a sufficient level?

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly; 04-28-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:48 PM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Have you confirmed that the phone "volume preset" is adjusted properly. Assuming you have the multi function touchscreen press MENU > VOLUME PRESET > this should bring up the adjustment screen.
EDIT... It appears Rufus beat me to it.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:26 PM

Yes, as I mentioned, it is at max.

It's just not anywhere close to 'loud' it's more like barely adequate.

When I get around to it, I'll try linking my wife's iPhone and see if that's better. Maybe the Jag doesn't like the droid.

Anyone else have this issue?

Old 06-07-2014, 05:42 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I have always thought the BT phone volume was too quiet. It infuriates me...phone BT all the way up, head unit BT volume at max...and I have to strain to hear my caller. Since the telephone module outputs directly to the fiber optics that lead to the amplifier, there isn't much we can do, at least that I can think of. I am currently doing a signal processor, new speakers, and a new amplifier that will increase my volumes of all sources...so the phone volume will benefit when its finished.

You know whats strange...its like the car 'adjusts' the volume lower after initiating a call. Ever start dialing a number, you hear the ringing on the other end...and its LOUD...then it diminishes to a quieter level?

Old 06-07-2014, 08:40 AM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

In my 2004, it appears the phone uses the front speakers only.Make sure your front door speakers are working. They are notorious for failing due to a faulty speaker terminal plate. It's easy to miss that they aren't working when you have a dozen or so other speakers playing, but that leaves the dash midrange and a couple of tweeters when the phone is in use. Go back to the radio and they ALL kick back in. Other than that I'd suspect the phone.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by H20boy
I have always thought the BT phone volume was too quiet. It infuriates me...phone BT all the way up, head unit BT volume at max...and I have to strain to hear my caller. Since the telephone module outputs directly to the fiber optics that lead to the amplifier, there isn't much we can do, at least that I can think of. I am currently doing a signal processor, new speakers, and a new amplifier that will increase my volumes of all sources...so the phone volume will benefit when its finished.

You know whats strange...its like the car 'adjusts' the volume lower after initiating a call. Ever start dialing a number, you hear the ringing on the
other end...and its LOUD...then it diminishes to a quieter level?

Exactly, EXACTLY!! I've even heard the volume change a few seconds in to the call. I've also noticed that sometimes the volume is so low that I absolutely cannot hear, and other times it stays a little louder. I'm also planning to eventually upgrade the audio, so I too will use the brute force approach.

As for the speakers not working, during a call it sure sounds like the sound only comes from the piddly little dash speakers, but all of the speakers work for music.