XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Tire Pressure System Fault -please help :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 07:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tire Pressure System Fault -please help :(

I'm really hoping someone can help me.
2008 XJ8

I bought upgraded/chromed 19" Polaris rims for summer driving, I got the Dorman TPMS sensors 315mhz.

Town Fair Tire mounted the sensors and tires to the rims a few months ago.

Yesterday I had the 18" rims w/snows removed and the new 19" chromed rims installed. Had an alignment, drove home with the snows in the car.

Now I'm getting a TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR/SYSTEM FAULT it went away for a bit then came back again so I took it back to tire place, they zapped the sensors again with a hand held device and said the car was picking up 8 sensors from when I drove home with the snows and to drive it for 25 miles or so and should be fine.

Well I drove to Rhode Island and back and I'm getting the TIRE PRESSURE SYSTEM FAULT and its staying on.

I'm going back on Monday but anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by para911; 03-25-2012 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Problem solved
Old 03-23-2012, 06:53 AM

Well no one has had the opportunity to respond to my problem.
To update, the tire dealer that installed the NEW Dorman TPMS sensors on my summer rims (all of which scanned properly) have ordered NEW NEW sensors (not sure of the manufacturer) and I will have them installed on Saturday. Hopefully this will rectify the problem of TIRE PRESSURE SYSTEM FAULT. I cant understand why the Dormans would scan properly but not be recognized by my car. They are the correct frequency (315mhz). I'm just dreading having to go to the dealer for a diagnosis of the fault.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:02 AM

Well even though no one else has even commented on this thread I am going to post the end result just in case it may, in the future help someone else.

I went back to Town Fair Tire to have the TPMS sensors that they ordered for me. They came in a box marked Dill VDO with numbers 1055 and SE53001.

These are for a 2008 XJ8 and a Land Rover I guess.

Well after swapping out the new Dorman sensors that I had bought to go with my new chromed rims, with these sensors I started the car and the same fault was showing. Tyre Pressure System Fault. I was told to drive around to allow my car to relearn with the new sensors. I was very skeptical because it was a system fault not a sensor fault. (I had done this with the Dormans too but they never "learned".

Well I jumped on the highway and after 8 miles BAM! The fault cleared. I was very excited. I was dreading an expensive dealer visit just to identify the fault.

So I don't know if the Dorman's are crap, I bought them because they were the cheapest but buyer beware!

The following 5 users liked this post by para911:
Bigg Will (07-08-2018), CleverName (03-26-2012), H20boy (08-18-2012), jerry_hoback (04-26-2020), XJLFTW (10-19-2015)
Old 03-26-2012, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Thanks for coming back....
I had no ability to help, but was glad you closed the post out with useful info for all of us.

Vince

Old 08-18-2012, 01:24 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

same here...thanks, will avoid the Dorman's then on mine.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, I have the same fault on mine right now and I think it's because I've fitted a set of wheels that don't have sensors fitted (even though they are genuine XJ wheels). Is it easy to fit the sensors? What sort of work is involved in this? I still have my old wheels with the original sensors in so I guess in an ideal world I would have them removed from my old ones and installed in my new ones but am wondering what's involved here.

Thanks

Old 01-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been having the same battle with "Orange" brand sensors.

Had four installled by a non-Jaguar shop, but shop messsed up on activation, they replaced two (not sure it was required), and subsequently have replaced all four.

Yesterday I went to the Jaguar dealer and had them reset the sytem. It was fine for about an hour of driving but for a few seconds of the "Tyre Pressure Sensor Fault", and the message then cleared again.

When I got in for the next drive I had the error right away - cleared after a bit - and came back. Then the "Tyre Pressure System Fault" error has come on. A couple of times it cleared, but the little TPMS icon remained lit. Today it stays on, with both the system fault, and the icon.

Does anyone know what causes it to say "System" fault rather than simply "Sensor" fault - I could guess, but hope some one knows the exact trigger (perhaps after x times showing sensor fault it flips to system?).

Looks like four Jaguar OEM sensors may be the best route - but it is a very expensive option.

Cheers,

Rob.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:27 PM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by para911
Well even though no one else has even commented on this thread I am going to post the end result just in case it may, in the future help someone else.

I went back to Town Fair Tire to have the TPMS sensors that they ordered for me. They came in a box marked Dill VDO with numbers 1055 and SE53001.

These are for a 2008 XJ8 and a Land Rover I guess.

Well after swapping out the new Dorman sensors that I had bought to go with my new chromed rims, with these sensors I started the car and the same fault was showing. Tyre Pressure System Fault. I was told to drive around to allow my car to relearn with the new sensors. I was very skeptical because it was a system fault not a sensor fault. (I had done this with the Dormans too but they never "learned".

Well I jumped on the highway and after 8 miles BAM! The fault cleared. I was very excited. I was dreading an expensive dealer visit just to identify the fault.

So I don't know if the Dorman's are crap, I bought them because they were the cheapest but buyer beware!
I just bought a set of VDO TPMS for my car (2011 XJ) and am having the same issue you did with the Dormans.

Did your shop program the VDOs or did they work out of the box?

I know it's an old thread, hoping you see it!

Old 04-07-2019, 09:53 AM
Unhappy same problem

Originally Posted by para911
I'm really hoping someone can help me.
2008 XJ8

I bought upgraded/chromed 19" Polaris rims for summer driving, I got the Dorman TPMS sensors 315mhz.

Town Fair Tire mounted the sensors and tires to the rims a few months ago.

Yesterday I had the 18" rims w/snows removed and the new 19" chromed rims installed. Had an alignment, drove home with the snows in the car.

Now I'm getting a TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR/SYSTEM FAULT it went away for a bit then came back again so I took it back to tire place, they zapped the sensors again with a hand held device and said the car was picking up 8 sensors from when I drove home with the snows and to drive it for 25 miles or so and should be fine.

Well I drove to Rhode Island and back and I'm getting the TIRE PRESSURE SYSTEM FAULT and its staying on.

I'm going back on Monday but anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.
would really like to speak with u 7814244178

Old 04-07-2019, 09:55 AM

same problem, would really like to speak with u 7814244178

Old 04-07-2019, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Last activity 2012 - so don't hold your breath!!

The following users liked this post:
user 7508230 (01-20-2022)
Old 04-09-2019, 07:25 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 114tcb
same problem, would really like to speak with u 7814244178
need to be programmed

Old 04-09-2019, 08:34 PM
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts

When I had a issue with mine, it ended up being the module. Wasnt alot of $.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mark in Maine
When I had a issue with mine, it ended up being the module. Wasnt alot of $.
Getting system fault myself. Comes and goes (mostly comes, at least when starting)

Every once in a while the dash shows a bad sensor (first the front passenger, then the driver's rear)

Makes me think its a module. Before taking it to the dealer I an gong to see if it can be diagnosed on the LRII reader when ine arives.

I will post up

Old 04-10-2019, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

How old are the sensors?
They do operate on battery's, & they only last so long.
Always wondered if those on sale for a great price.
Just might have older battery's in them.
Button type battery's have a ten yr shelf life.
Do not believe they are replaceable.
Could be wrong, but why else would they need to be replaced?

Old 04-10-2019, 11:37 PM

A free way of checking the sensors in the wheels, is to change the location of the wheels and see if the fault chases the wheel. Sensors aren't cheap, and many tire shops have a hard time with ours. My shop tested and diagnosed a bad sensor, which wasn't bad. My issue was the module, which was the price of 1 sensor from the dealer. My fault did not follow the wheel, and was intermittent. Also if you only have the "check spare" note and swap wheels with no change, the dealer can program the car for a space saver, and you can keep the module you have. Most of us are in the boot enough to check our spare without the need for a computer to tell us to.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mark in Maine
A free way of checking the sensors in the wheels, is to change the location of the wheels and see if the fault chases the wheel. Sensors aren't cheap, and many tire shops have a hard time with ours. My shop tested and diagnosed a bad sensor, which wasn't bad. My issue was the module, which was the price of 1 sensor from the dealer. My fault did not follow the wheel, and was intermittent. Also if you only have the "check spare" note and swap wheels with no change, the dealer can program the car for a space saver, and you can keep the module you have. Most of us are in the boot enough to check our spare without the need for a computer to tell us to.
Now that's a great idea to check the module. I am guessing now that it is likely a module, it would not be each tire sensor and I get a signal from one then another and then general system at times

what module did you have replaced.? the antenna is the same price as the Sensor but I am seeing the Module as double 200?

Also where is the module located?

Old 04-12-2019, 12:15 PM

I replaced the module at about 200.00. Its located in the boot, very easy to get to. I did have the dealer program it, but don't know if it is necessary. I would try it first. Beware of who you purchase from. My first one had been previously loaded in another car (probably for trouble shooting) they CAN NOT be programed to another car. They sent me a new one promptly. Ensure it is security sealed.
It sort of sucks that it has to be programed. My 2009 RR L322 was just plug and play.
After I changed a sensor, and had the same issues, it seemed that the module in the long run was cheaper that 400.00 in sensors and then 200.00 for a module. My issues did not chase the wheel, which ruled out sensors.

Last edited by Mark in Maine; 04-12-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know old replies here but did you have any luck with your XJ getting those dash lights off? Ive got the same year car as yours and its a nightmare now getting these lights off

Old 11-25-2019, 08:07 PM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bri's Jag
I know old replies here but did you have any luck with your XJ getting those dash lights off? Ive got the same year car as yours and its a nightmare now getting these lights off
The issue with mine was that the rear units came from an SWB model and mine was LWB, they are different part numbers that aren't interchangeable, which struck me as very strange. Putting the correct LWB units in fixed the problem.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure System Fault -please help :(