XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Uh Oh! Weird electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 12:18 AM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Uh Oh! Weird electrical issues

My first year of Jaguar ownership has been a dream. Great car, only one mechanical problem. A rear shock went flat, bought Arnotts, no further problem.

But...now the electrics are acting up. A few weeks ago my wife and I decided to get away for a few days. So, we went to the seaside community of Carlsbad. Went to a nice motel, closed up the car and locked it, went to check out the room and clean up before eating dinner. (That's California dinner, not Southern dinner) When we came out of the room a few minutes later the windows were in various states of being open as well as the moon roof being wide open. Closed everything up and went to dinner. No further problem after that.

Until.....a few days ago the brake indicator light quit coming on when I put it in park. It does not feel like the parking brake is automatically setting itself. If I pull up on the brake handle I get the brake indicator, but also I get a message that says " parking brake fault". When I put it in gear the brake indicator light goes off but the message stays. I have to shut off the motor and restart to get it to go off.

And...3 times in the past two days the security alarm has gone off all by itself. I figured that since the key fob was in my pocket, maybe my other keys had put pressure on it. But...yesterday it went off while the fob was on a nearby table in plain sight. No one touched it.

Last night I parked it and locked it up. When I came out this morning it had done the open windows and moon roof thing again.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Old 02-05-2014, 04:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Failing battery, most likely.

(Open windows etc may be Global Open via the key fob.)

The following users liked this post:
SableCat (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 06:01 PM
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Agree, sounds like an errant signal to begin global open. Have a look at the date on your battery and see how old it is.

The following users liked this post:
SableCat (02-06-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 03:26 PM

Today my indie reset the electronics...so we'll see on the global open problem.

I took a look at the battery. It is a German make and was installed by a Jaguar dealer about 18 months ago. The indie checked out the specific gravity of each cell and it was ok.

Now for the "parking brake fault" issue. Here is what I learned. When you put it in park or pull up on the switch, there is a little electric motor between the gas tank and the spare tire well. You can hear it sometimes if your windows are down when you park. There is a cable coming out of both the left and right ends of the motor housing. These cables thread through some tubes until they come out near the rear calipers. Each rear caliper has a little lever sticking out of it. The ends of the cables have a loop which fits over the end of the lever. So when you park the motor runs, the cables tighten and pull on the little levers...and the rear brakes are applied firmly.

I am getting the fault message because the driver's side cable has broken and fallen off. My indie ordered a new one from Jaguar. It will be in in about 10 days for $80.

Glad that one is solved.

Tom

Old 02-26-2014, 11:15 AM

The parking brake fault issue is now solved. My indie installed a new cable on the side where it had broken. He told me that the loop had pulled loose from the crimp thingy that held it in place.

Now on the Global Open surprise surprise problem. I had my battery tested. Tested good. However the charge was at only 60%. So, I had him put it on the charger for an hour. It came up to 79% charged, and the problem has not happened again. I have never had a message about my charging system not functioning properly.

If it does not happen again, I will file this information and wait and see.

Tom