XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Under damped suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Under damped suspension

The suspension on my 2008 X358 2.7 TDi feels under-damped and slightly loose over bumps/potholes etc. I have no warning lights on . People talk about the 'magic carpet' ride of these cars which may be true on very smooth surfaces but once the road surface changes - no way! When I bought the car earlier this year I had a local Jaguar dealer check the car over and they gave it a clean bill of health. Any suggestions as I can't believe they are all like this. Otherwise, love the car.

Old 11-23-2017, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

It sounds like the DSC solenoids which are at the top of the struts are set to 'hard'.

This is not unknown and you could search for a code which may indicate this.

You could also try rebooting the vehicle by disconnecting the battery and touching the leads together.

More info: http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=65930

Last edited by meirion1; 11-23-2017 at 04:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
matthewc (11-26-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Sorry to say, but the "Magic Carpet Ride" disappeared a long time ago. The last car with it was probably the X300 series. My old XJ6 Series 3 had it.

If you want a much better ride, put 17" wheels on the car with 235/55R17 tyres on them. I have just done this, and sold the 19" Polaris on eBay. and it does make a big difference. I assume you are not a "wheel spin to wheel lock" type of driver. There is some sort of mania in our 21st Century for cars to have huge wheel diameters and very low profile tyres with a constant chant in background of "Sport, Sport, Sport, Sport" for some very peculiar reason.

Doesn't anybody want a comfortable ride anymore ?

The following users liked this post:
matthewc (11-26-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 05:01 PM
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I agree with Fraser that the smoother ride quality of the older models has been replaced by the stiffer ride of the x350s.Granted steering and handling qualities have improved but I miss that softer ride.And there is also more road noise that I hear when driving over tar strips etc maybe due to the stiffer air suspension and or the aluminum body.So I guess we take the good with the not so good with each newer model.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:21 PM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought my 2006 Super 8 Portfollio back in October of this year on ebay. I only had about 20 minutes to make my mind up to bid on this car, so I took a chance and win.... I never thought the ride and the exhaust would be what it was. <grin> Looks like the previous owner went through three sets of tires and I had to straighten all the rims and bought one refurbished 20’ wheel. I did do a hard reset with the battery, like meirion1 mentioned, and I think that helped the ride and the muscle car exhaust sound some, or maybe it’s all in my mind. From what I’m reading on this forum and reviews of this car on other sites, it is what it is. I am temped to go to the 17’ wheels, like Fraser mentioned, but that would take away from the look of this car. And I know the bushings, like the control arm bushings, wear out at 50,000 mile and I have 47,000 miles on mine, bushings might be next. I am a little disallutioned with this car, but in someways, I think it’s going to be a love / hate relationship, because I really do love this car!!!

Last edited by Aleather; 11-25-2017 at 12:24 PM.