XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 xj8 VDP - is this year model reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 xj8 VDP - is this year model reliable?

Hi everyone,
I always liked the looks of a jag, but besides that never looked into actually buying one. However, I came across a beautiful 2004 XJ8 VDP with 45k miles on it. The exterior and interior are in excellent conditions. And the asking price is just north of $10,000. My question is this year model (for the most part) a good, reliable, car? I understand cars needs maintenance and I know that since it's a jag the parts might be a bit more pricer, but is the year model prone to mechanical problems?

Also, is there anything I should look for or check on the car?

Thanks,
Junior

Old 11-14-2017, 06:04 PM
Received 12,722 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Hi Junior,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

I have moved your post from the forum for the X308 to the forum for the X350, which is the Jaguar factory project code for the 2004 VDP you are considering. Here you will find knowledgeable owners of similar cars.

I would say that by far the most common issues with the X350 are problems with the air suspension, either leaks somewhere in the system, or a worn piston ring/seal in the air compressor, or both. Problems typically show up by 100K miles, but may be related to age as much as mileage, so ask questions about the air suspension, such as whether the car lowers in cool or cold weather.

See this thread for more issues to be aware of:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...d-know-112913/

If you purchase the car, please come back and post an introduction here: New Member Area - Intro a MUST, and post some photos for us to drool over!

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
AD2014 (12-01-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 10:20 AM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 2004 xj8

Hi,
We had our 04 xj8 and it treated us kindly. We put over 230,000 miles on it before giving it to our daughter. Other than usual maintenance issues, negative camber wear on front tires, h2o pump and coolant tank crack, car still going strong. If there is a car heaven, it has earned it’s spot. Good luck

Old 11-15-2017, 01:52 PM
wwr
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Junior; I'll echo Don B's comments that some wear is the result of age as opposed to mileage. Polymers/rubber becomes brittle, etc. I had air suspension system leaks in the air-springs (rubber to metal seal) that was just age related ( 13 yrs, 80 kmi ). It's a great sign if the vehicle has been well taken care of. At some point you'll have to address age related wear. I have absolutely no regrets with my '04 XJR. Are you in the Dallas Area?

Old 11-15-2017, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts

If you buy it you will love it.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

Like all cars these have some issues but they are not the kind that leave you at the roadside. In my six years of an X350 Sport 2010-2016, I had to get quite a few things put right, but was never let down. The problem with my car is the first owner never used it enough to find the issues during the warranty period so I had to fix them. I bought the car on 30k miles. I did not get a comprehensive warranty with the car, but paid less as a result. Later cars had the main issues dealt with so my 2007 Sovereign has been a whole lot better.

It is well known that the car was late coming on sale and the project manager got the sack for this. It should have been on sale before the X-type but came after it, so I reckon the development testing was a bit truncated. Early air suspension compressors for instance were pushed to get through the warranty period ! A new compressor was the first thing I had to replace in late 2010. The replacement was still on the car and OK when I part-exed it late last year.

Some of the suspension bushes are not long lived, especially the lower air spring unit bushes, and those on the lower rear wishbones. When Ford were in charge, they charged ludicrously high prices for these but under Tata Motors the prices are a lot less, like half the original price !

The whole car is aluminium and can suffer crevice corrosion in certain places. This manifests itself as what looks like bubbling under the paint. In fact it is aluminium hydroxide, a white powder that forces up the paint film. It is harmless in terms of affecting the integrity of the car, but unsightly. I now have a very good technique to repair corrosion areas myself, the biggest problem being matching the paint.

Places to look for this are: -

- leading edge of the trunk lid, it creeps round from the underside
- creep-out from the lower edge of the rear screen seal
- one-third down from the top of the D-pillar due to a weld not being sealed
properly
- lower corners of doors
- creep-out from the crevice above the 'Jaguar' trim piece on the trunk lid
- wheel arches lip at front and rear due to salt action

If you are handy at car painting it is a doddle to fix but getting it done by a paint shop can be expensive.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:56 PM
Received 308 Likes on 114 Posts
Default It's a classic automobile that needs care.

The 2004 Vanden Plas is a excellent automobile. The styling is distinctive, especially if you add a mesh grill, it's a high performance sedan. What you may encounter is replacing tires, brakes and rotors at approximately 40K mile intervals, Mass airflow sensor, and particularly front air struts. Additional maintenance items consist of regular oil changes, spark plugs, tires, air filter and cabin air filter. All of these items are readily available. Many at a local Auto-Zone or from online suppliers.

You can take care of all these items yourself with just average mechanical ability if you can read and ask questions. If you take it to a dealer be prepared to pay $$$$. New this car was $74K so don't expect it to be as cheap to maintain as a Ford F-150.

This is the best forum I belong to, when compared to the Corvette, Harley-Davidson and BMW motorcycle forums I participate in. All these issues can be completed with readily available hand tools, a code reader, a floor jack and 4 jack stands. This forum is your best resource. Review the "How To Section." Don B is an excellent moderator and an untapped well of knowledge.

My son is using my Vanden Plas in San Francisco now and just completed it's second complete four wheel brake job, including 4-rotors, pads, brake fluid bleed & flush; following the instructions on this site. For his first time out, it took a Saturday afternoon with excellent results and about $190.

If you found a Vanden Plas in the condition you describe and mileage, I would check the Carfax and $10 K would be in the ballpark. There's nothing like a Jag!

Old 11-15-2017, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

The mentioned issues, just about wrap up the down side of this car. That said, i love my 04 XJ8, at 95,000, still runs and handles like a dream.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the information, guys! Unfortunately, with work being so busy, I wasn't able to go see it in person and the car has now been sold. However, Now I'm in the market for 2004-2009 an xj8 VDP . Hopefully, I can find one soon.

WWR, No I'm not in Dallas, but I'm in East Texas.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:56 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Junior9393
Thanks for all the information, guys! Unfortunately, with work being so busy, I wasn't able to go see it in person and the car has now been sold. However, Now I'm in the market for 2004-2009 an xj8 VDP . Hopefully, I can find one soon.

WWR, No I'm not in Dallas, but I'm in East Texas.
some info for thought

the 08 and 09 vdp are a updated body style as a opposed to the 04-07

everything else is identical, they just look different on exterior.

I own an 04 and an 08. while it is rare ( as opposed to a chevy cobalt or camaro) to see an XJ, it is even more rare to see the 08. It is basically a body style produced for a single year . In my lifetime i have seen probbly 10 -15 total , and i travel the country for work and am always scanning the roads.

Some do say they dont like the looks of the 08. I dont understand this since the 04 to 07 XJ has same design cues as x-type and s-type. i also have a x-type . my xtype and 04 XJ are both black and many a friend or family member has mistaken them as the same car. That would not happen with an 08.

with that said , i love all XJ's , so you will likely be happy with whatever you get. I just like my cars to be uncommon.

Last edited by slownlo; 11-16-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

The 2006 X350 had some significant electrical upgrades over the 2005 MY.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

My experience so far is the later car I have is a lot better, with all the issues of early cars sorted out. My 2007 Sovereign has been almost perfect for a 10 year old car bought on 54k miles, now on 67k and 12 months ownership.

I would say don't be too daunted by the issues I and others have described; these are fine cars, and if you want a traditional styled Jaguar, the last of the line. Do make sure when buying that the previous owners have taken care of the car. Service and maintenance needs to be done on time and then the car will run and run, to Mars and back if you need to !

Old 11-25-2017, 03:55 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

2004 VDP is short wheel base and there are no seat trays on the back.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:06 PM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

It is more reliable and durable than other 14 year old cars.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts

Very very reliable in my case-It's a Ford with Ford suspension, aluminium body and

a Jaguar badge.