XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Up grade my ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 10:37 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Up grade my ride

Hello every one!
I was a member in X-Type; I went through 3 X-Type, currently own a 04 Burgundy, now I want to upgrade my ride to XJ, I would like to know what are common problems and weakness of XJ? I have test drive some of them, am found the ride is superb on the highway, but on the back country road I found it's a little float

Old 01-03-2017, 04:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my view, X-type and XJ are very different vehicles. A person that likes X-type might not like an XJ, and vice versa. X-type is Jag's entry sedan, while XJ is its flagship sedan. X-type ride usually appeals to younger crowd that like sports sedans, jumpy in acceleration, quick to make turns and can run amok wild XJ appeals to in general older crowd that value a whisper quiet cabin, sumptuous interiors, they value comfort over sports and desire a composed air-suspension leveling ride, a spacious rear-seat in which they could be chauffeured around.

So in my view very different vehicles. Sorry didn't mean to disappoint, but I think for you to make a switch, unless you value the XJ ride, you might not be happy owing one. I personally love XJ8 but precisely for the reasons you might view as problems
Originally Posted by Thang Nguyen
Hello every one!
I was a member in X-Type; I went through 3 X-Type, currently own a 04 Burgundy, now I want to upgrade my ride to XJ, I would like to know what are common problems and weakness of XJ? I have test drive some of them, am found the ride is superb on the highway, but on the back country road I found it's a little float

Old 01-03-2017, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts

There is also the option to go up to the XJR with firmer air suspension.
Or to get rid of the air ride with an S-Type or XF.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,435 Likes on 1,941 Posts

The mechanical side is practically bullet-proof except that some suspension bushes seem to wear out rather quickly, (what I call "unfair wear and tear"). Then there is the air suspension, that works very well but is much more expensive to fix than a car with steel coil springs. However you can convert to steel coils, and many US owners have done so. Bilstein make the air spring units that are spring and shock in one. They are available from Bilstein and cost a lot but less than used to be charged by Jaguar. There are also firms that will replace the air spring diaphragm the bit that fails before the shock part.The air suspension compressor doesn't last for ever either, but you can buy parts to extend its life fairly cheaply.

Interior is beautifully made and a credit to Jaguar.

There are a couple of potential electrics gremlins but not too serious.

I am now on my 2nd X350, the previous car is in the picture, in front of my MG Midget. I now have a Sovereign, (in the US sold as Van den Plas)

Old 01-03-2017, 10:27 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks guy, I post this yesterday and today I found the thread from Sticky and it was very educational. I didn't ask how is XJ compare to the X-Type; Of course they are two difference car with two difference characters. when I buy the XJ Ill still keep my X-Type as a father and son; The X-Type I will do as much mods as I can and have fun as my toy, the XJ for enjoy the luxury ride.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

So many long time X-type owners seem to make this upgrade. Yes, they are bigger and more refined, but extremely similar in appearance. I went from silver X-type to silver XJ and practically no one has noticed the difference. Interiors are even laid out similarly, albeit different proportions. Weight and fuel economy is even comparable.

Aside from the Gremlins mentioned above and in the sticky, one I've discovered is the TPMS system. If you change wheels like I do, you apparently need wheel sensors from the dealer to avoid fault codes. This affects cars with TPMS only, which apparently began in 2006 on some models and was required by law starting 2008.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:46 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Thang Nguyen
Thanks guy, I post this yesterday and today I found the thread from Sticky and it was very educational. I didn't ask how is XJ compare to the X-Type; Of course they are two difference car with two difference characters. when I buy the XJ Ill still keep my X-Type as a father and son; The X-Type I will do as much mods as I can and have fun as my toy, the XJ for enjoy the luxury ride.
Ah! The best of both worlds. Enjoy!

Tom