XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Update on my X358

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Around 51k miles seems to be the limit for these damned bushes !! Durability is now the Key Issue with Jaguars as far as I am concerned. They already have Desirability, and Reliability, all we want is that little extra something and it'll all be perfect.

Thanks Fraser and as you say, these issues are well documented so no major surprise really I guess.
No point moaning about it, if they need done, they need done....simples

Jim

Old 04-20-2017, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member

Well, spent the morning at Prestige re this noise issue coming from the rear. We did a quick bounce check there whilst Ian, listened underneath with a stethoscope and he was adamant it was the wishbone bushes, so we opted to go for them and leave the shocker bushes for the moment, we can always come back to them if required.

He got to work stripping everything down and made good progress, I checked every now and then and at one point noted that the rear pads were also looking a little low!

These cars always seem to be heavier on rear pads than front, around a 2:1 ratio there or thereabouts. I said to Ian that we may as well get these changed whilst we're here so he got a set ordered up sharpish, they arrived around 30 mins later and so were fitted too.

The other side didn't take long either and everything all torqued back up and good to go.
Off the ramp we again did a bounce test and all seemed quiet, a quick road test and good to go, some £600 lighter.

These wishbones used to be much more expensive hence the bushing route previously, prices have now came way down in that respect

Next on my to do list may be the transmission fluid, changed out not long after I bought the car at approx. 62k miles on 11.03.2014
She's now done 113,670 miles and all is well, that said she's overdue in my book and will be looking to do this in the next couple of months

Thanks
Jim

The following users liked this post:
Don B (04-20-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member

Well, popped in and had a pleasant hour or so with John Mackie if Mackies Transmissions today

It was his birthday a few days ago so took in a bottle of Jack Daniels as a belated birthday gift. He's such a nice guy, very generous sponsorship towards our forum meets and helpful to say the least.

I'll be getting mine booked in for a transmission service in the next week or two, last done at around 62k and now sitting at 113k so due for a freshen up. She actually seems fine with no issues ( touching wood ) but preventative as we all know.

See below some info about Mackies Transmissions who are a ZF A1 rated partner, based in Glasgow
The post has lots of info on them, their practices, as well as lots of pics of a forum meet we held there some 4 years ago. Myself and at least a couple of dozen other forum members / Jag owners have since had their cars transmission serviced their.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...+transmissions

Now normal service resumes and back to weeding / grass cutting and power washing etc...........will it ever end

Have a good weekend guys, happy motoring

Jim

Old 04-28-2017, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Well, managed a really pleasant 2 or 3 hours with the car today, trying to get her ready in time for the meet on Sunday 4th June.

Ideally, I could do with having the wheels off and thoroughly cleaning throughout although their in really good shape, won't hurt

The plan is to get the hubs / calipers freshly done ( hubs std silver as before ) and calipers Ferrari red, again as before ).....To be fair their not terrible but will benefit from being done again and will make me happy, lol

So today?
I broke out the Autoglym leather cleaner and Autoglym leather balm and set to work. Now you have to understand that it's in really decent shape, but.....could always be better.

The rear seats and passenger seat were a breeze. The seats were moved completely forward and yep, there was a smattering of crumbs etc down there so that was vacuumed up, then seats cleaned / treated to leather balm, the door cards etc were cleaned too.
The old toothbrush came in handy for the stitching and hard to reach areas and really made a difference, all nooks and crannies were attended too!

Onto the front and got stuck in about the centre consoled area / arm rest etc, as well as the fascia ( the toothbrush again paid dividends )
Finally, the drivers seat, that's clearly where it was mostly needed and yes, it made a big difference

Unfortunately now at 113k miles and yes there are signs of wear starting to show, a few slight creases etc on the bolsters but nothing too serious, the worst on the seat base. Again it's not terrible, but noticeable for me and I'm thinking of getting at least that part refinished at some point.
Clean as a new pin, a very happy chappy......

I then finished off with an AC bomb throughout the AC system just to freshen things up, very pleased

I'm considering tomorrow to perhaps give her a quick wash and apply some PB Blackhole, see pic below for an idea of the difference it can make

So loads to do..........

My daughter and SIL are going to respective hen night / stag night tomorrow and I said I'd give them a lift in to Glasgow, so, I thought.......
I'll get some Blue WKD ( their choice of drink ) and have them super cooled in the freezer and last minute put them into a cool bag with ice. They can sit In the back with heated seats and chilled WKD's for the chauffeured experience to their nights out.......should be a laugh

Onwards n upwards with only 5 weeks to go this Sunday https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/u...%2A%2A-176390/

Cheers
Jim

Don B (04-28-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member

Well formulated a plan earlier today..........

My CD changer has been playing up somewhat over the last year or so, albeit intermittently. I can go days, weeks even months or so without any issues, then BAM......"No Discs"

It's been happening a little more often and now no amount of playing around with it will resolve it, it's just "No Discs" as far as the CD changer is concerned.

Now I know it can be removed , taken apart, lubricated etc etc and it may fix the issue, but I'm past that and struggling for time a little, so.....

I've booked a trip South on Monday, leaving dark o clock on Sunday Night or more accurately Monday morning in the early hours and travelling to Leicester on business. Get the nice n early and see a couple of people I need to see, then aim to get to Leeds for around 1pm and see Mark Burton ( Bertieboy )

He's going to swap in a replacement unit at a very reasonable price to fix this, at least for the foreseeable future. Then hoping to meet up with Ashanti for a coffee and the craic, get the 2 black XJ's together again.
Hoping to get the transmission serviced next week or so too, trying to get it booked in tomorrow

Still working on the forum meet for Sun 4th June and now just a tad over 4 weeks away. I'm still aiming to get the wheels off and thoroughly cleaned right through, hubs n calipers all redone and on point.
With some luck and a following wind I may get the paintwork clay barred and PB Blackholed too so she looks somewhat presentable on the day.

Cheers
Jim

Old 05-05-2017, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

Well, nice day today and got loads to do on the car in the next few weeks........
I've been thinking about getting her tidied up a little more and to that end gave her a thorough wash and left her wet, then broke out the clay bar and went over her again from top to bottom, windows n all ( she's a bloody big car! )

Afterwards, washed again and then dried

The clay bar did not lift much to be honest so she was in decent shape as regards that side of things. There are of course plenty of swirls in the paint and I'm really itching to try my DA Polisher and may give her a go a little later to see what we can achieve.

Update as of 9.22pm
I started the process at around 1pm so it's been 8 hours to date, and I'm slowly but surely getting there.
As I had the car detailed only this time last year, it really is a crime that she's got so much damage on her. Bear in mind that as a daily driver she's in and out of quarries all day long where it's either up to her axles in muck or having sand / dust etc blown off her, so really doesn't help.

Broke out my Poorboys DA polisher 900 watt heavy duty machine and my Auto Finesse correction kit.
The Auto Finesse correction kit is nicely colour coded in terms of product and pads, so great for a newbie.

Here's what I was working with to start with....bootlid before......
Name:  before_zpsljkvjv8b.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  113.4 KB

Absolutely shocking and yes I am ashamed!

I skipped the most aggressive no1 restoring compound and went straight to step 2 using the Polishing compound with the yellow pad.
This achieved decent results but needed refinishing as expected, so onto step 3 using the refining compound with matching pad and wow, what a difference.......

See a 50/50 shot below.......
Name:  before%20and%20after_zpsymxn7jmv.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  117.9 KB

Pretty tired around 9pm but wanted to continue, there was still plenty of available light, just not usable light for this kind of thing, so......

I had managed to get the bootlid, rear bumper and rear wings, the roof and passenger side doors completed as of 9.22pm
I'm now hoping for a decent day tomorrow to allow me to get onto the front wings, bonnet and drivers side doors to complete the look.

Once completed and perhaps in the next week or so, I'll look to go over her again with Poorboys Blackhole and then seal it in with Chemical guys BLACK wax which is specifically designed for, well.....black cars, lol

Jim

Don B (05-05-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

Well back on it today, around a 5 hour shift from 12pm to a little after 5pm for the remainder, see below results.......

Bonnet 50/50
Name:  bonnet%205050_zps1fiudclw.jpg
Size:  117.6 KB

Name:  11_zpscx7g6cug.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  207.7 KB
Name:  22_zpszjkw1gax.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  175.6 KB
Name:  33_zpsmbr1npjr.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  179.1 KB
Name:  44_zpsmwzibzxy.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  155.1 KB
Name:  55_zpsrokgxsud.jpg
Size:  158.2 KB
Name:  66_zpszfsxkihn.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  164.7 KB
Name:  77_zpsxovgevtn.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  203.0 KB

Having put my back out quite seriously around 15-20 years ago I still suffer somewhat and have to be careful. Anything too strenuous, lifting anything too heavy or awkwardly or just too much in general plays havoc, and now I'm suffering a little bit, hopefully calms down....

Is she as good as done by a professional detailer?
No is the short answer, but 14 hours or so of love and attention certainly makes a difference. It's not hard to see why it costs around £300 - £500 for a decent detailing job!!

I did it for the pride in my vehicle but couldn't do it for someone else, or as a paid job I don't think lol.

I still have to apply the Poorboys Blackhole and top with Chemical guys BLACK wax at some point, but she'll do for now

Off in the early hours of Monday morning, probably around 2am down to Leicester on business, then catch up with my sis in Stoke on Trent with a little surprise for her 50th
She's working so it'll only be a quick visit but I'm sure she'll appreciate the effort.

Then up to Leeds to catch up with Bertiboy ( Mark Burton ) so he can switch out my CD changer and catch up with Ashanti maybe a coffee / spot of lunch

Then back to sunny Glasgow, probably knackered and late on, expected eta home would be 8pm - 9pm

So this detailing business using a DA to correct the paintwork has taught me to appreciate pro detailers even more than I did before. It's also taught me that I need 2 things.....
1. a better camera phone or a dedicated camera
2. a photography course is needed

The pics unfortunately don't do her justice as she's much better in the flesh

Next up in the next week or so?

1.Hopefully the transmission service if I can get her booked in
2. Wash, dry and apply the PB Blackhole and CG BLACK wax
3. Wheels off and repaint hubs and calipers

Thanks
Jim

The following 2 users liked this post by JimC64:
Datsports (05-07-2017), Don B (05-06-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 597 Likes on 473 Posts

sublime detail , condition and up keep .

beautiful !

JimC64 (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Datsports
sublime detail , condition and up keep .

beautiful !

Thanks Andy, appreciate the kind words

She's far from perfect, but perfect from afar lol

Off out to enjoy as we speak and then a wee 600 mile jaunt tomorrow
Jim

Old 05-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

Had a wee potter about in to Glasgow to see my mate ( sleeping on a day like this, even after nightshift? )

Saw my BIL and had the craic, then a short run in the countryside just enjoying the weather / car and everyone going about their lives

Caught up with #1 son for a while, then off to fuel the car up to the hilt for tomorrow, top off screenwash and check / adjust tyre pressures, all ready to rock.

Whilst out n about I swear the car is more eager, cuts through the air more readily and noticed better fuel consumption!

I can only put this down to the slick way she now cuts through the air having been improved aerodynamically

Off out the back possibly with a Crabbies or two and may watch a little tv later, then try to get an hour or two's sleep ( although I'll fail miserably probably ) as tomorrow will be a lonnng day, around 18 hours probably.

Cheers
Jim

Old 05-07-2017, 10:45 AM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice looking car Jim. I'm looking into doing the same to my car but after your post, I think I will let the professionals do it. Too much elbow grease for the little spare time I have.

JimC64 (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BlacXJRcat
Nice looking car Jim. I'm looking into doing the same to my car but after your post, I think I will let the professionals do it. Too much elbow grease for the little spare time I have.

Thanks BlacXJRcat, appreciate the kind words
Yes, in UK pricing it's around £200- £300 for a decent DA + polishing pads and polish, cutting compound etc

I spent so much time, around 14 - 15 hours, washing, clay barring, washing and drying, then using the DA to cut / polish the paintwork and then refine that even further, means a long long time.

To be fair I want to give her a coat of Poorboys Blackhole, then buff, add a coat of ChemicaL Guys BLACK wax and then buff.....this will probably add at least another 3 hours to the process, so about 18 hours in total.

Yes, she looks great, so much better, but not as good as a pro detailer for sure.
Costs are in the region of around £300 for what I done plus my time of course, along with the aches n pains, but.....I have the equipment to do it again IF n when I choose.....note the IF lol.

A pro detailer would take around £300- £400

Look forward to your before and after posts after you've sent it away to the pro detailer to do for you probably a good choice

Jim

Old 05-08-2017, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member

Well had an eventful day, left at 2am and travelled to Stoke and saw my sister today, she's 50 tomorrow ( today at time of writing ) and wanted to surprise her, I did this by knocking on her door at 6am and waking her from a sound sleep, to SUUURPISE!!!! lol

Yes, she was!

Great to catch up and offer my best wishes for her upcoming biggie tomorrow, cards n gifts put a nice smile on her face. Great to catch up as we don't get a chance to very often, took her for a slap up breakfast and whiled away a few hours.
Then off to Leeds to visit the famous Bertieboys ( Mark burton )

I've been having some issues with my CD changer and "no discs" which is really annoying!
I know it can be removed and taken apart, cleaned and lubricated etc and probably a fix, but Mark said he would simply supply a compatible unit, removed and install all at a very reasonable price and in around an hour, which he did.........problem solved

Nice one Mark, great fix, thank you so much

Mark, aka Mark Burton or Bertieboy is based in Leeds and is somewhat of a legend, having helped many Jaguar owners both locally and Nationally, also a very chatty, helpful and friendly guy, well recommended.
I'd also said to forum member Ashanti ( Yoda ) that I'd be about and as he's fairly local he dropped by for a catch up, great to see him and his beautiful beast.

Funnily enough Mark also has one of these beauties, also in black.....can you say "photo opportunity?"....see further below....

Name:  3a_zpsgw4epmvt.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  115.5 KB
Name:  1a_zpssdrcwbuf.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  116.6 KB

Mark, hard at work...

Name:  5a_zpswaib8jkm.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  137.2 KB

Outside Bertieboys....
Name:  6a_zpshchwewpo.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  120.2 KB

I noticed on a chat on FB that Ross Craig said he was going to Leeds tomorrow, no I thought to myself, surely not?
Yeah, sure enough he too was going to Marks on the same day! Ross only stays around 6 miles or so from me and he and Emz were both travelling south too in their Blue X350's, we would see them for a short while as they arrived much later than us, just as we were preparing to leave......small world eh?

Name:  IMG-20170508-WA0009_zpsbucw62kz.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  133.3 KB

Rich ( Ashanti ) took me to the first ever Harry Ramsdens, we had a slap up fish n chip meal and the craic was good...........what a day!

Arrived home safe n sound around 7pm......600 miles approx. and a longgg day, but a good one

Jim

The following 2 users liked this post by JimC64:
Datsports (05-08-2017), Don B (05-09-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

Well, off into Mackies tomorrow morning bright n early, will leave the car with them and collect in the afternoon, that should be the transmission service taken care of at last

2 birds, one stone and all that, hoping to collect any pamphlets / literature etc from them for the welcome packs for the forum meet Sunday June 4th.

Also, looks like myself and possibly 2 of my sons will be repainting hubs n calipers on Sunday too, so another job out the way.

Insurance just renewed with Admiral again this year, £299.00 for the year all inclusive with 13 yrs NCD protected, not too bad.

Lastly, hoping to speak to Prestige Jaguar and considering trying to get her booked in for rear diff oil change, fresh brake and power steering fluid ( that might be a bit hopeful though )

2 weeks 4 days to go till forum meet

Jim

Old 05-17-2017, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member

Car dropped off at Mackies this am and they're doing their thing, should get it back this afternoon
A bottle of something nice for John in the boot too!

As an aside he showed me all the kit they're giving to me for the meet event, pens, notepads and more..........Cool
Should be another nice welcome pack this year with the usual pamphlets / leaflets, pens, notepads, air fresheners, tyre tread depth indicators and more.......

Ok so not being one for messing about, made a call or two......

Had my brake fluid and power steering fluids changed 29.10.15 and engine oil changed 27.02.17
I have her booked in for fresh engine oil / filter on Sat morning and next Thursday for brake fluid,power steering fluid and rear diff oil flush / change too

Jim

Old 05-17-2017, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Scratch the above, got my car back from Mackies in the early afternoon and went straight for the engine oil / filter change, so that's all done now!

Had my brake fluid and power steering fluids changed 29.10.15 and engine oil changed 27.02.17
I have her booked in for next Thursday for brake fluid,power steering fluid and rear diff oil flush / change too

Jim

Old 05-18-2017, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member

Had a good day today, a few unexpected enquiries led to some really good sales, bumped up my figures for the month by quite a bit, so.....

As the sun was shining ( again, lovin this weather ) I decided to treat the car to a thorough wash, detailing the wheels, hubs n calipers especially as I hope to be repainting them this weekend.

Whilst I was at it I went over her and also touched up a few small chips here n there, then broke out the cotton wool buds and went over all her nooks n crannies to removed any excesses from the polishing / refining process.

I'm hoping for some good numbers again tomorrow, have £5k in the bag with the promise of another £3k or so. If the weather plays ball my intention is to get the Poorboys Blackhole out and get to work with a nice application. Although the polishing process has removed the bulk of the swirls, there may be just a little bit here n there, very light. I could've been more aggressive with the DA and cutting compound but chose a medium application instead, removing around 90% of the worst swirls.

The Poorboys Blackhole is an excellent filler ( check out the Youtube videos on black cars for some really amazing results )

As the paintwork is now in much better condition the Blackhole will take it to another level again
The caveat is that it's a filler glaze, so longevity isn't the best, so.....I'll break out the Chemical guys BLACK wax and top her off with at least one, perhaps 2 coats which should last for a few months all being well

Have I mentioned before about how big this bloody car is??
Checking out part exchange for Mini's as we speak lol

Jim

Old 05-19-2017, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

Well another good day at the office and some decent orders banked, plus a promise of a nice few for Monday, so all good.

Shut up shop around 12pm and started to get out the PB Blackhole, microfiber towels, Chemical Guys BLACK wax and applicator pads and set to work. I was mindful that the PB Blackhole was running a little low and that it would be close, sure enough done the bootlid, rear wings and bumper and the roof and it was gone, typical!

Had a quick check and as it turns out my local motor factor has supplies and only 3 miles or so away, so jumped in the car and got that sorted.

Came back and got the rest done, she is a bigggg car lol, only finished applying and buffing the Blackhole around half an hour ago, a quick cool drink ( its so warm here ) and get this added. That constitutes a break before I put another hour or two in to seal in the finish with CG BLACK wax.

Meantime, here's a few shots of her and a little 50/50 shot too for reference purposes. The metallic flecks now really pop........

Sky shot in bootlid.....
Name:  paint_zpsumbjc4wy.jpg
Size:  62.5 KB

Roofline
Name:  roofline_zps6zcewqfn.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  107.0 KB

bootlid again
Name:  paint%201_zpsmd8ryxxz.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  157.9 KB

50 / 50 shot of the bootlid
It's not the best 50/50 purely because I spent last weekend buffing out around 90% + of the swirl marks etc, but, even that said if you look really closely to the left of the PB bottle there is a section I taped off ( more or less half the bootlid )
There's a definite line!
I find it particularly amazing that even after all the hard work is done with the buffer, this product can still raise the shine another level or two, fantastic product
Name:  5050_zpsmlhjgkw2.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  115.5 KB

Now I have to go and do it all over again with the CG BLACK wax lol

Jim

Old 05-19-2017, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member

well I went back out and followed through with the CG Black wax to seal in the shine, another few hours took me to around 6pm
Was it worth it?

Yes and no. The shine is amazing, the results superb and speak for themselves, but god I must be getting old, aches n pains here there n everywhere lol
This is definitely the last, no more.....

See a few pics below....

Name:  front%202_zpscarkqcza.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  219.4 KB
Name:  rear_zps4dyeyaum.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  229.3 KB

Clouds in bootlid reflection
Name:  clouds%20in%20bootlid_zps7pumlcms.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  89.1 KB

drivers door
Name:  drivers%20door_zpsc91ecwe9.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  160.4 KB
Name:  reflection_zpss4ibatg6.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  167.8 KB

Name:  front_zpsxrlexx5q.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  269.5 KB
Name:  side%20front_zpscuyvgejv.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  220.6 KB

This is definitely the last, no more....

That said, I'll be repainting the calipers on Sunday now, then booked in on Thursday to Prestige for brake fluid / power steering fluid change and differential oil change too

Then that's definitely IT.

DONE
Jim

Datsports (05-19-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member

Well, it was a struggle today.......

Didn't go to bed till 5am, number #1 came here after his shift and we stayed catching up till around 3am, then I caught up with some stuff on the forum. Number #2 son came in from a night out around 4am and we had a chat about his night n general stuff, all good, hit the hay around 5am.

The plan was to get up and at it at 10am but didn't happen, up at 11.15am, had a coffee / toast & banana, another coffee plus another cigarette or two, really struggling to motivate myself.....left to start around 12.40pm lol

Got both jacks, various brushes / paint etc and left for the shopping centre car park. As it was raining today that's the go to underground car park area on a Sunday. In fact there were another 2 cars doing bits n bobs, plus a couple of Evos and a BMW turned up for a mini cruise meet.

We got stuck in, starting on the XJ first. To be honest the calipers were not that bad, slightly faded but with a few stone chips here n there to freshen up.
I didn't bother with the hubs as they're still in great shape, used Ferarri red gloss on the calipers, see after shot below.....

Name:  JC1_zpssvwxnvia.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  204.8 KB

Connors Xtype was much worse, really faded, almost pink in colour lol, so we set about those, hubs and calipers this time, see before and afters below......

Name:  cc%20before_zpsgr2mpwpj.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  221.4 KB
Name:  cc%20after_zps3futpq5m.jpg
Size:  250.2 KB

Took our time as we were both knackered, had a coffee break, had to go to Halfords for some Hammerite smooth red for the X type as mine ran out, plus quite a few cigarette breaks so it was around 5.30 by the time we wrapped it up. In truth though a little over 3 hours would've see both done had we cracked on.

Looking much better now, all good

Onwards n upwards till Thursday and Prestige Jaguar visit for brake fluid / power steering fluid and rear diff oil change

Jim

Quick Reply: Update on my X358