XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Vanden Plas Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Vanden Plas Headlights

2004 Vanden Plans X350 170k miles. I've got some weird goings-on with my HID headlights. I've read some posts here, but none of the symptoms are exactly like mine. I leave in darkness 10 months of the year and when I fire up the car, both dipped headlights work fine. After about 15 mins of driving, the drivers side headlight will flicker and less than a minute later will die - the passenger side remains on, and brights still work fine on both sides. This will happen regardless of whether the stalk switch is set to auto or manual. If I mess with the switch, I can lose both headlights (again, the brights work great!). If I ignore the problem, the passenger side will stay on until I get close to work - about another 15 mins. Once parked and with the engine off, I can turn the ignition key to "On", switch the headlights on manually & everything seems to be fine, but if I crank it and run the engine, the drivers side light will go out again. One other thing, I noticed before all this weirdness started was that ALL of the lights, front & rear, on the drivers side were a little more dim than those on the passenger side, not super-obvious, but noticeable. Does anyone have any ideas??

Old 08-06-2017, 08:07 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same car, except the miles. I believe, and someone correct me here, our model (the US 2004 Vanden Plas) might have HID low beams (dipped) only, the high beams are then halogen.

Not sure what would cause your symptoms. Things changing when you wiggle the switch points there, but the flicker could be an HID bulb or ballast. If they are original I'd say you got your moneys worth!

Again I'm not an expert, just trying to help out.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:34 AM
Received 7,894 Likes on 4,768 Posts

I would try swapping the bulb/igniters (Headlamp burner) and see if the fault follows.
I doubt it is the bulb because it operates after it cools down or power is removed for a while.

bob

Old 08-06-2017, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

HIDs do start to do the 'okay-for-a-bit-go-off-come-back-on' thing at end of life. The other thing they do, sometimes, is take on a pinkish hue.

Like motorcarman says, swapping the burners over is the best way of telling if it's the burner or not.

If it is the burner then make sure you get the right replacement - check the number (D1S) on the metal box at the base of the burner. A lot of chain listings (over here anyway [Halfords !]) have it wrong and claim it's a D2S.

It's also best to replace them as a pair because where the one goes the other will usually soon follow.

Last edited by Partick the Cat; 08-06-2017 at 10:23 AM.