XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Vehicle Too Low

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Received 12,769 Likes on 6,397 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Green spot = Comfort
Red spot = Sport

All XJRs have Sport units. There may also be a bar-code label with the description, incl. the word "Comfort" or "Sport".

Thanks for chiming in, Fraser. Is the general consensus that the VDPs are the opposite of XJRs and all of them have Comfort dampers/shocks?

Cheers,

Don

Old 05-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok Jag fans, here's the source of my consternation:

Shameful that the bellows cannot be replaced with a new one. Poor design, poor execution and failure leads to the car being rendered inoperable.

Anyhow, the Arnott replacement is in and Mrs BoxxMann is happy to have her Jag back...she won't drive my Mercedes and doesn't like to drive "Goldie the Shop Car".

Here's the summary:

While driving the vehicle under normal operating conditions a loud pop was heard like running over a plastic water bottle. The front of the car sank and the "Vehicle Too Low" warning was indicated. A rush of air could be heard from the Right-Front wheel well when the car was running and the ride height didn't not return.

With the help of Don B and others here, it became likely that the strut was gone. The car was taken to Hobson's Auto in Seminole, Florida (Our mechanic and VERY recommended). Jim Hobson confirmed the RF strut was gone. A replacement was ordered from Arnott, PN AS-2395:

https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...36_gid567.html

The cost of the strut was 646.87 US which included tax and overnight shipping. They pay return freight and will credit the core of 150 once they have it back. End cost for the strut is 496.87. The labor to install the new strut at Hobsons was 99.17. Mrs Boxx is on the road for just under 600 smacks. I was expecting MUCH more!

Thanks again fellow Jag fans!

Boxx

Attached Thumbnails Vehicle Too Low-hpim2113.jpg  
Old 05-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,436 Likes on 1,942 Posts

That's the second photo I've seen of a blown diaphragm on this forum. There may have been others I have missed. I suppose not too bad in terms of total air springs deployed. Steel coils can often snap, as I have experienced, but are cheaper to replace, of course !! The photo only shows the ruptured bellows, the actual diaphragm that has ruptured is what holds the air pressure, and this is hidden behind the bellows which is just there to keep water out.

These units are made by Bilstein, and I'm surprised the external bellows are not made available, even the spring diaphragme, or maybe they are; what does your new Arnot have ?

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 05-07-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
These units are made by Bilstein, and I'm surprised the external bellows are not made available, even the spring diaphragme, or maybe they are; what does your new Arnot have ?

Fraser,

I have spent quite a bit of time online looking for a source of replacement bellows or bladders for the Bilstein air dampers with no luck. I have scoured the Bilstein parts lists that are available online, and for some of their racing and off-road dampers you can purchase virtually every single part individually.

For some Mercedes and Land Rover models you can purchase air bladders and some damper replacement parts, but so far I haven't found a source for Jaguar repair parts.

Regarding Arnotts, their website states that rebuild the Jaguar dampers with Goodyear air spring bladders, which leads to the question, can we source bladders from Goodyear too? So far I haven't found an answer.

Cheers,

Don

Old 05-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 741 Likes on 624 Posts

Strut replaced in ?3 days and only $99 labour!

I have heard that there are tornados in the US!

Congratulations Mr Boxxman.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vehicle Too Low ... Solved for now

My 2004 XJ8 has 177k miles on it with several issues -- that dealer offered $3k on trade-on ... since it needed $5k air strut replacements, cat converters, blah, blah, blah ----- no way would I consider that -- so back to the tool box for this old duffer who was determined to beat the system.

Vehicle was too low after sitting overnight -- but would raise within 2 minutes of operation. Detected leak at top of front strut when sprayed with soapy water -- debated whether to replace all struts with coilovers from Arnott for about $1,400 or go piecemeal with remanufactured air struts from Arnott.

Decided to replace two fronts with Arnott remans (net cost about $340 each).

Tackled installation job after reviewing ARNOTT videos several times. Main problem was getting the tires off -- those &*(-chrome covered lug nuts were nightmare (just got replaments from LUGS and More today that will end that debacle). Once tire is off, follow ARNOTT video -- need 18mm Combo wrencn and T60 torx socket. First strut took about 60 minutes including tire issues in 90+ degree weather -- tough for 64-year old. Second replacement a couple of days later in 60 degree weather took less than 30 minutes. (Remembered second time to remove 4 top-mount nuts BEFORE installing new strut). Two people might help but I did this by myself.

Once completed installing both fronts -- still had vehicle too low!!! Thought might be compressor issue and contacted Bagpipe Andy regarding his repair kit -- but he was VERY VERY HELPFUL in explaining that compressor seemed to be working properly and guided me on some "learning" expeditions including finding the air tank and valve block for the air strut system under the spare tire in the trunk/boot. These all check out tight including the tops of the rear struts.

Remaining possible fault was the air lines which snake from front strut toward front of car and then back to valve in trunk. Lucky for me, I spray tested front connections again and noted the slightest bubble coming from compression fitting which I had not replaced although new one was provided. I clipped the incoming hose just above compression fitting and replace old fitting with new one and tightened everything down -- and car works like new with new front struts and NO vehicle too low light.

Proud to have accomplished this and saved $4k from what dealer quoted.
The wife is happy too -- that she gets to keep her Jag jewel!

Old 05-22-2014, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 741 Likes on 624 Posts

Usually you have to drive the jag around the block to extinguish the vehicle too low light.

You beat the system just fine!

Age is not a barrier it's just harder!

Old 06-08-2014, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension continued

Ok guys I am desperate to resolve this problem quickly. I believe it must be the air bladder on right front shock but will continue to run with your ideas. Thanks!

Old 09-16-2014, 05:25 PM

Here's an update for those watching - Mrs BoxxMann told me the car was "too low"...I thought it was low coolant b/c every so often it needs a pint...boy I wish! Imagine my surprise when she said "the air thing"...$h1T!!!!!!!

Two more struts are on the way as this time it's the LF and LR...grr! I suspect it will be Friday when I have it back, my wallet being 1300 bucks lighter now.

I made the decision not to replace the air with coils. If I drove the car, this would be a no brainer, but even though I'm spending the same money, I'm leaving it stock. I'm sure I'll regret this, but at least Arnott struts have a lifetime guarantee on them...and now I need a pint!

Boxx

Old 09-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

How in the world were two Arnott units $1300? I paid around $400 for the RF unit not three months ago, which included the core deposit.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by naterator
How in the world were two Arnott units $1300? I paid around $400 for the RF unit not three months ago, which included the core deposit.
Yep - 1260 or so, but that includes the 150/ea for core deposits. Unfortunately, that money will be put to the installation so it's ~1300 at the end of the day...Scorecard:

3 new Struts - 1 old one...it's a matter of time for that one

Old 09-17-2014, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by BoxxMann
Here's an update for those watching - Mrs BoxxMann told me the car was "too low"... [snip]

Two more struts are on the way as this time it's the LF and LR...grr! I suspect it will be Friday when I have it back, my wallet being 1300 bucks lighter now.

Hi BoxxMann,

I'm sorry to hear about your continued issues with the air suspension. Can you tell us how you diagnosed the LF & LR air shocks as the problem?

Thanks,

Don

Old 09-17-2014, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi BoxxMann,

I'm sorry to hear about your continued issues with the air suspension. Can you tell us how you diagnosed the LF & LR air shocks as the problem?

Thanks,

Don
Such is the "privilege" of owning a Jag :/ My MB has a hydraulic suspension, so all toes and fingers are crossed...

The car was low the morning I looked at it. I started it up and let it run, checking and listening for the compressor. All clear there. The car came up some, but I could hear a wooshing sound from the left rear, so I was 99% certain that one was gone.

The left truck came and later that day my mechanic called to give me the news that both struts on the left side are no good. Bah!

The Arnott struts are on the way, and they should be here Monday. We'll have the car back Tuesday. Mrs Boxx is driving my shop Durango...she loves that thing!

Boxx

Old 09-22-2014, 09:12 PM

So righty-o...Mrs BoxxMann's Jag is back...with two new struts :/ This makes three struts in 4 months...see you in a month when the last one goes out!

The three new ones are Arnott's and have a lifetime warranty. Their struts are good. I recommend them.