XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Washer pump runs continuously

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 05:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Washer Pump Runs Continuously (2004 XJR X350)

2004 XJR. Exhausted everything I can think of and need the help of the forum! Problem started with no washer fluid on windscreen (headlight washing was fine). Used compressed air in lines - clear. Accessed pump in passenger wheel wheel - wiring not connected. By accident? Or intentionally? Turned out intentionally, as it runs continuously when connected (water flows onto the windshield). Thought it must be the switch on the steering wheel. Replaced it - no help. Pump runs continuous, with either switch I have on hand, or no switch installed at all. Eventually pulled the passenger footwell 15amp F26 screenwash pump fuse to stop the pump. (Engine 30amp F4 Powerwash pump fuse didn’t stop it - unsure what that one is for?). Wiper movement works; headlight washers work (although headlamp washers not working now with F26 pulled). Any suggestions appreciated!

Plug always has power. Except after maybe 15, 20 - 30 minutes (not sure exactly), then nothing until I push the key back in.

While I had it apart, I cleaned the tank and debris screen thoroughly. Works fine - just never shuts off!

Last edited by Shawn M; 04-03-2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:42 PM
Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Just throwing this out there, but how do your lights work? There have been countless people with all sorts of light related issues where the culprit is the stalk. Do some research on the forum on how to remove the light stalk, open it up and see if you have broken wires.

Otherwise the description is consistent with a relay that has failed. In the sticky section you can find the diagrams and search out whether there is a relay in the circuit. I would actually start here, unless you have light issues.

The following users liked this post:
rsa760041 (08-23-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by kg74
Just throwing this out there, but how do your lights work? There have been countless people with all sorts of light related issues where the culprit is the stalk. Do some research on the forum on how to remove the light stalk, open it up and see if you have broken wires.

Otherwise the description is consistent with a relay that has failed. In the sticky section you can find the diagrams and search out whether there is a relay in the circuit. I would actually start here, unless you have light issues.
Hi KG, thank you for the quick response. Lights and light-stalk seem to be functioning correctly. It does sound like a relay issue to me as well, but if I’m reading correctly on this link below, R11 Power Washer relay is non-serviceable. Then again, what is that 30amp power washer fuse I noted, right next to this relay? It didn’t stop the pump, only the passenger footwell 15amp fuse did. Would there be another relay? https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...fuse-boxes.pdf

Old 04-04-2021, 10:00 PM
Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I see the confusion. Have you tried pulling the fuse and getting an amp draw reading? Checking relevant circuits for short to ground?

How tough is it to pull the front power distribution fuse box? A visual of the circuitry will give you an idea how power is routed. Everything can be serviced, it is just a matter of how determined you are and what soldering skills you have. On other cars I have seen similar boards where the bad relay can be removed by de-soldering and replacing.

I had a strange issue with a Volvo once which ended up being a failed Shunt. I am not sure it is a relay, one has to do some more trouble shooting. Electrical issues are tough to find, but once located they are easy repairs.

Old 04-05-2021, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 281 Posts

No relay used for the windscreen washer. The pump is fed 12v on the yellow wire via F26 (15A) in the passenger footwell. This is a keyed 12v source. The ground to the wash pump is provided by the Front Electronic Module (FEM) when the button is pressed, on the black w/ white stripe wire. In your picture above, the test light is grounded elsewhere to the body? I assume you can also light it when connected across both pins of the connector? Is there 12v when the key is off?

If the FEM is providing the ground continuously, then either a bad FEM, wire shorted to chassis (not likely), or a bad signal to the FEM. The latter will require SDD to check if the FEM is receiving a signal to wash.

Old 08-19-2021, 10:18 AM
Default Resolved!

I wanted to update how this was ultimately resolved. I thank everyone for all of their great suggestions. It took a replacement of the ECM computer to resolve. Replacing the computer from a wreck, I learned, was a frowned-upon approach - apparently you should never swap computers from another car. But the used unit was installed and it made the washer squirter work, so I don't know what to say.
Then, I was left with my other issues that were there from the beginning - key fobs that didn't work; folding mirrors didn't work; window switches worked sporadically.
I was told a "reprogramming" of the now-installed used/wreck computer would resolve everything.
I took it to a specialized Jag mechanic - he freaked when I said the computer was swapped from a wreck. Strangely, I had the original there, and he said it wasn't hard to put back in - but he didn't bother. So he reprogrammed the replacement/wreck computer, and lo-and-behold, everything was fixed - fobs, mirrors, windows (although the windows also needed replacement hardware in the doors - the window motors). (Why do Jag window motors die after 30,000 miles?? Anybody experience this?)
Anyhow, everything works now and I love my used Jag, after a rocky start.