XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

What did you do to your X350/X358 today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Almost took it out for T-Day, But it rained.

Almost took it out for a T-Day run, But it rained(In Seattle, Shocking!) Maybe tomorrow...
Luckily only rain... I have fam all around MA NH RI and Conn, so hearts out to you Easterners with your early winter
Originally Posted by jackra_1
One of my two key fobs died a week or so ago. Went thru battery change and cleaning no dice.
I am down to NO working FOBs. Mine had stopped working so I took it apart to make sure it was broken, Mission Accomplished... After New Years I'll be back with the stoopid questions.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I bought a used FOB on Ebay . Swapped board with my dead board, reprogrammed good FOB and used board FOB. Now two working key FOBs.

The following users liked this post:
Jakes XJR (11-26-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Always good to have a spare.

Gotta love flea bay

Old 11-24-2018, 01:30 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Etypephil
Those tapered seat nuts are dangerous used in conjunction with flat seat wheels, such as fitted to Jaguars; they will loosen in use.
How so when the original two-piece Jaag nuts are equally tapered?

Corrosion Has Come Between The Nut and Cover Causing the Cover to Spin Around and Not Loosen The Wheel Nut.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

The flat part tightens against the wheels flat portion of the hole your lugs go through, or should.

The following 2 users liked this post by Wingrider:
Etypephil (11-27-2018), Milowokie (11-25-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 08:23 PM
Received 214 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by rhanbury
So, 2 years on, how are you finding the EBC red stuff pads? I've had three sets now, and every one started giving me the heebie-jeebies (and one accident) when they were half worn. They perform brilliantly when new, and I love the lack of brake dust, but after a while they get so they don't really bite until after they get a bit of heat in them (i.e. a few rotations of the wheels, which you don't want!) I corresponded with EBC who suggested I switch to Yellow Stuff, but I've gone to Ferodo for now. I wasn't sure it was the actual pads and have replaced brake lines, rebuilt calipers, replaced rotors, but in the end the only common factor was the pads.
Absolutely no problems with mine at all stopping power is bang on and I still maintain one of the best mods I've done on the car! I run the slotted mtec discs front and rear with the red stuff pads front and rear, don't know if you have the same maybe the discs are improving pad performance compared to what you have?

Not sure what else could cause the effect you describe other than a worm wheel bearing/s pushing the pads away from rotor ( had this on a previous car changed front wheel bearings and brakes were spot on again) however that was every time I went to use brakes! Were the pads evenly worn when replaced? Also did you remove the paint from the outside extremities of the pads (parts that contact and slide on calipers) then copper grease these points as this can also negatively affect performance if not done.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:23 PM
Received 212 Likes on 138 Posts

Gave it a wash,
which is a bit pointless during a rural Irish winter cause it'll be filthy after I've driven a hundred yards down the road, but it was soo dirty.
I also washed my silver C-class which was a nightmare. The way they fix potholes in Ireland is by spraying hot tar in the hole and then chucking a few shovel loads of chippings on top. My car looked like they sprayed it with the tar..what a pain to get that stuff off.
So cleaning the jag was much better...just can't see any of that tar!!

Old 11-25-2018, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Had a little trip to the Trafford Centre shopping and cinema mall near Manchester. Black Friday sales were still on and we even got money off Prada perfume, very unusual !! Car is in for a fix to the driver seat heater on Wednesday as it doesn't heat up. Passenger and rear seats are OK. I had it checked-out last winter but never got round to a fix as it also needed a new heater matrix, and this took all the budget. As usual, there are a few jobs that will eventually need doing in the suspension area, but it just passed it's MOT so these can wait a bit.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default P0171

Trying to troubleshoot a P0171 code. Reset and it will come back within a day. Where is the fuel filter located on the 05 XJR's ?????
Last year when this happened I just added some fuel additive to clean off injectors.
Since It's referring to a lean condition ..... from past experiences I would like to replace the fuel filter first.
Even after code appears it still runs decent except for WOT seems a little slow.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

Its under the sill on driver's side roughly in between the driver door and passenger door.

There should be a removable "plate" covering it if memory serves me.

dwdooley (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

That's where it is on the XJ8's as well as an 05 S Type i worked on.

dwdooley (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 05:27 PM
Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts

Here is an old post for the filter replacement.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ge-how-119351/

dwdooley (11-25-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Waxed, detailed and hooked up to a trickle charger...Taking it out for mom's birthday lunch on Sunday.

Today I bid a bittersweet farewell to my Kitty after 7 good years. Listed on Craigslist after Thanksgiving for much higher than it's worth, expecting to be lowballed again. A guy came up from Newport Beach and, after a short test drive, paid the full asking price(!!!)

Bye-bye Jaguarforums for your years of helpful and money-saving tips.

Happy holidays

Old 11-27-2018, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

Installed my Autool X60 today. Much more convenient than reading values of sensors on an Android.

Now just have to understand all the different readings I can get.

Main reason I got it was for coolant temp.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

No Jag since last Wednesday.
Last autumn we had a cold snap and the heater wasn't heating enough and the driver seat heater didn't work. Anyway, finally had to have a new heater matrix. This was done last January. I also had the car examined for the seat heater and was told there was no volts supplied to the heater element when it was switched-on, so a possible FEM fault. Problem was the matrix job had bust the budget ! So here we are in Autumn 2018 a whole year later, and I decided to get this seat heater job done. Thursday a substitute FEM was connected and still no volts. Shop said they would have to check the heater thermostat by substitution so ordered another one. However, this little gizmo is part of the seat cushion heater assembly, which costs £177 plus our 20% sales tax. Anyway when the new heater arrived it was connected-up and Bingo, heater heated up !! However installing one of these things is not straightforward, as the seat cushion leather cover has to come off, so I am hoping to get the car back next Monday.

Maybe I should have put up with a cold a*se instead !

Old 12-02-2018, 03:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Throttle

Drove it full throttle from Hamburg to Bremen: 60 miles in 30 minutes.

The next day in intra-city traffic I observed that the heating on the drivers side seems to work better after it had gradually become weaker over the time.

Maybe the half-an-hour high rev ride flushed the heater matrix somehow?

Last edited by Horst1956; 12-02-2018 at 03:10 AM.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:22 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Coil Replacements Sucessful

A good lesson about replacement in pairs, sets, etc. I started noticing a slight stumble on acceleration from idle and a lower idle RPM. The codes pointed to a misfire on the right bank, so after swapping coil packs from that cylinder and it's neighbor, which moved the problem to the neigboring cylinder, came to the forum for advice. Several threads covered the issue, and following that advice, I ordered a full set of 8 for under $100 from an Ebay vendor. I didn't have time to do the full job, so replaced the faulty individual and vowed to get back to it soon. Problem solved, driving joy is back. 500 miles later, same symptoms. This time, it's on the left bank. Put it in the garage with time to do them all, but went ahead and replaced the suspect coil first and fired it up. Bingo! 900-1000 RPM idle, right off the bat. Somewhat coincidental, I'm sure, but all the coils had come from the same factory, made with the same materials, maybe on the same day. They had all driven the same 127,000 miles, the same under-hood temps, and so on, so a second failure in a short time isn't too shocking. I could have ordered just one coil pack from the parts counter and had a same-day fix, but I'm glad I took the long view.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

At those prices, how well they work, with life time warranty.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:35 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Replaced my auxiliary heat pump. I now have evenly distributed heat in the cabin and hopefully this will address the electric fan running for 2-3 minutes after engine shut down in summer.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Fan running on mine was thermostat and plastic housing in need of replacing.
Auxiliary pump fixed the lack of heat, but not the fan running after shutting the motor off in warmer weather
Hope you have better luck, mine was bad when purchased in Dec, the fan did not continue to run till 50 degrees or so outside.
Car was sold as is, when they came way down on the price, the auxiliary pump was replaced, so there was heat.
Battery was on its last legs, but would start the car, so no battery included in the deal.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X350/X358 today?