XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

X350 Chrome Window Surround Black Replacements

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 07:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default X350 Chrome Window Surround Black Replacements

So I've read through and searched around to the point of frustration so I'm creating a post... Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

I've seen countless threads about painting/polishing/buffing/etc on these window surrounds, but I can't seem to find a part number anywhere...

I've also seen many threads about wanting to replace them, but no one that has posted successful results, with talk of these being available in black stock from the factory in UK/Japan but not in the US... So I have the following questions:
  1. Does anyone know the part number of these chrome pieces? (I'll settle for the chrome or black variant part number at this point, but prefer black) Or even what they are officially called?
  2. Does anyone know how to remove these pieces? I've seen some say they are double-sided-taped on and others say there are some kind of clips that break on removal. The workshop manual (which I have) doesn't say anything about any of these pieces that I can tell, so what part number are the clips if they break easily?
    Confirmed by WinterJag ( here ) that they are clips, and do break, but can be "reused"
  3. Does anyone know where I can find replacements (better if specifically in black)? I'm totally open to paying international shipping at this point if need be.

A couple notes...
  • The curved top pieces are NOT on the door, they are on the body of the car just above the door... I know that some x-types and such these pieces are actually part of the door, these are not those... those are the pieces circled in blue in picture 3 on the X350 and NOT what i need
  • The above door piece is actually two pieces (you can sort of see the split above the fixed piece of the rear window that I have circled in yellow)
  • The flat piece on the door itself (below the window) on the front driver side is lifting up and no matter how much pressure I put on it it will not stay down in alignment with the back door... I'm guessing this means a clip or something was broken off and I will need to replace it. (see the picture area circled in red)
    Confirmed by WinterJag ( here ) that the bending is unfortunately probably normal and requires replacement if you remove these

Name:  C74RgHv.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  732.9 KB

Name:  bgweVb7.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  593.8 KB

Name:  aYxyYIe.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  577.6 KB

Last edited by KarmaPolice; 03-17-2016 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hey there, noticed your post on the chrome window surrounds.
Sorry I can't help with part numbers etc, but no doubt someone will be along soon to help.

Have you considered trying Plastidip?
Or as I may be you could look at vinyl wrapping them in black for really good results too, both of these methods would be reversible should you decide you didn't like the effect.

I'm thinking wrapping them and also removing my chrome mirror caps, just too much chrome for me

Old 03-17-2016, 10:09 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

I can tell you as someone who recently took all those pieces off during my respray, the trim above the door is held on by clips. To get it off you just have to PULL. The clips themselves pretty much all brake, but in a way that they can be reused. Basically, they are a clip that 'folds' over a metal lip and a small plastic 'rod' goes through a hole in the lip and 'clips' the two sides of the main clip together (did I say clip enough). Not the best description but I hope you can kinda understand. As for the window trim, you are supposed to be able to get them off without bending them, but I couldn't. I got them off, but none of them when back on correct, they kinda curl up at the end like yours in your pic. Now, I didn't like the chrome either, looked into getting the black pieces, but they were too much and as far as I could tell, only for the SWB cars, not the LWB (which I have). So what did I do? Well, since I had them off the car, I just sanded, primed, and sprayed them black. I figured since I kinda destroyed the bottom window trims and will eventually replace them, lets see what they look like black. Same with the long piece over the windows. It looks good to me and cost me about nothing, since I had all the paint already. You can see what it looks like in the pics I put up in a few of my threads. I also did the mirror covers too, as I, like Jim, thought it was just too much shiny stuff! I would think wrapping them, or plastidip, would be just fine, and probably easier than what I did and also reversible.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-free-155796/

Old 03-17-2016, 11:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I definitely have considered plastidip... and I'll do that if it comes to it (like you guys, i'm not down with all that shine)... however I wanted to see what the options were for flat out replacing them...

Thanks for the info on the clips, that's very much appreciated, and on the info about the bending window trim.