XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

XJ wiper replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default XJ wiper replacement

At a typical auto parts store's windscreen wiper display, they had a booklet to show which one to select for your vehicle. The guide did list Jaguars going back many years, and said choose a 24" model for the driver side, and a 19" one for the passenger side. Also for the 19" one, there was a note that said a "hex adaptor" would be needed. There was a 2 for 1 sale on high quality Bosch wipers, so I got a 24" and 19" one for about $15 total.

It was easy to release the factory XJ wiper assembly from the arm, but the jet washer is still attached by a hose to the old blade assembly. Uh-oh, what's going on here?

After some fiddling around, the jet washer came off the old blade assembly. I removed the adaptor from the new blade, and tried to install the jet washer adaptor. It snaps in, but is too tight so it doesn't work properly. Back to the drawing board.

Then I reinstalled the new adaptor in the new blade assembly, put them on the arms, with the result of a good looking and functional renewed wiper system. Only remaining problem, jet washers and old adaptors are not attached to anything. So as a temporary repair I siliconed them to the new wiper assembly. It looks stock and nobody except an expert will notice it isn't.

Later I'll permanently cut the jet washers off the old adaptors, and remedy one of the XJ's minor styling flaws, which is a small rubber hose is visible from the driver's seat on the wiper assembly. I'll cut the hoses a few inches shorter, and mount the jet washers under the wiper arm. That will make them invisible, which they should have been all along.

So the bottom line here is you can quickly replace your XJ wipers for less than $20, with products available at any auto parts store, and some small amount of time to remount the jet washers.

When I next take my Cat out of the garage I'll post on how the new wipers actually function. But this will be a few days, because we are supposed to have constant rain over this period.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:01 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

There is a far simpler (and even less expensive) solution to aftermarket wiper blade replacement on an X350 that allows you to retain the factory wiper blade holders and factory washers and without gerry-rigging anything.

Go to the local parts store and ask for ANCO N-19R and N-24R. You have to ask because they're typically not stocked on the rack. These are narrow wiper refills only (not the whole wiper arm). The original factory blades have to be coaxed out of the arm with pliers and you do destroy the old filler because they weren't made to be replaced that way. The new fillers simply and thread back in the arms and come with a locking tab that allows easy and quick replacement from then on.

Each ANCO package is about $4/$5 and the added value is that you get a pair of each size. So for ten bucks you will have two complete changes, no cutting, no gluing and no hassle. I change all my customers' X350s this way.

Last edited by steve11; 12-19-2010 at 06:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by steve11:
Panthro (12-26-2016), slownlo (06-02-2017)
Old 12-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

What is the average life span of a set of wipers? It seemed like the "one" blade on my 01's lasted forever

Old 12-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Do a search. You should find this topic covered several times in the last 18 months with refill part numbers from additional auto part stores. You surely do not have to replace the original wiper assembly.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Goodness. I didn't realize that the sight of a visible tube/hose annoyed anyone that much!

Old 12-20-2010, 11:09 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Napa makes the complete arm replacement. It's part of the teflon blade line and are pretty exspensive for both. I think I paid about $35 for the two. The issue is you need to use the stock adapter for the washer jet and most blade arms housing don't fit the Jag adapter.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:41 AM
Received 132 Likes on 67 Posts
Default New parts to an old topic

So my new (to me) 04 XJR had a 2" tear in the driver's side wiper blade and a 1/2" tear in the passenger's side wiper blade. In the "Communistwealth" of Virginia, an annual safety inspection is required for $16 and the smallest things can cause your vehicle to FAIL the inspection, which requires the shop to fix it, or you get a pink FAILED sticker on your windshield, 10 days to fix the problem, and then have it re-inspected for an additional fee of $5 (might have been raised to $10 by now). Not to mention having to drop your car off again for the day. I'll give a couple examples at the end, but will get to the point first and then you can read on if you like. As mentioned, any tear in either blade is an automatic failure. The local Advance Auto parts store had the handy dandy wiper computer that said certain Rain X blades would fit w/o any issue (they lied) and certain Michelin blades would fit, with a free adapter I could get from Michelin if I called the toll free number M-F from 9-5. It was Saturday morning, so that was a wash. They did not have the Trico or Anco refills that would work as the blades were too wide to fit in the stock wiper arm channels. As the X350's have the washer fluid connection fitted so you can't just replace the blades off the shelf, as most of us know. I did A LOT of test fitting with other blades and set-ups while I was there. The inside space that the J-Hook clip goes into on the stock arm is 8mm and the majority of the replacements were 6mm & would not accept the stock clip. I found that the blade part itself on the Rain X Weatherbeater was the exact same size as the stock blades. I grabbed a pair of needle nose pliers and pried back the clamps on a 19" Rain X and it slid right out of the channels. Happily I can report that it slid right into the stock wiper arm channels. I gave it a little extra crimp on the replacement to ensure a secure fit as well. I grabbed a 24" and had the same result! Rain X Weatherbeater 19" part# 5070196 was $12.50 and the 24", part# 5070200 was $15. RESULT!!!! For under $30, I might add! I added a few pics to help with the illustration.

Currently, www.rockauto.com has the Trico full arm & blades for $3.50 each. Part #s 15190 & 15240

Here are a couple of the PITA inspection issues I've faced in the past: For starters, guess how I know that a 1/2" tear in the wiper blade will fail it? Then, my wife's minivan had a chip in her rear tail light lens near the bottom that was smaller that the size of a kernel of corn... FAIL! Had to replace the entire lens. Another time, one of the two license plate bulbs in my Durango was out. I had a choice, $14 for them to replace it and pass it or get a FAIL and come back. Last one for now; same Durango, different year. There are three bulbs in the "3rd brake light" and one of them was out. Again, $14 and a pass or fail and bring it back. Since then, I have replaced ALL the lights in the Durango with LED and I check the wipers on all my vehicles, I even take pics of them as I'm sure that they tore it once and failed it.

The BEST for last. Got the Durango inspected and it passed! Took the Mrs' van in and got the call that it passed as well. On the way to get her van, I was 100 yards from home and my drive shaft fell out of the Durango. The U-Joint strap bolts broke. They said "We don't inspect that" (see attached pic). I pushed her home, the wife and I hopped on the Fatboy and got her van. I stopped off at Advance and picked up a new U-Joint, straps, and bolts. Had it fixed before sunset. Joy...

Attached Thumbnails XJ wiper replacement-wipers-1-.jpg   XJ wiper replacement-wipers-2-.jpg   XJ wiper replacement-wipers-3-.jpg   XJ wiper replacement-wipers-4-.jpg   XJ wiper replacement-driveshaft.jpg  

Last edited by ragman1171; 08-08-2014 at 06:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
abonano (12-09-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 02:40 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by XJPurr
At a typical auto parts store's windscreen wiper display, they had a booklet to show which one to select for your vehicle. The guide did list Jaguars going back many years, and said choose a 24" model for the driver side, and a 19" one for the passenger side. Also for the 19" one, there was a note that said a "hex adaptor" would be needed. There was a 2 for 1 sale on high quality Bosch wipers, so I got a 24" and 19" one for about $15 total.

It was easy to release the factory XJ wiper assembly from the arm, but the jet washer is still attached by a hose to the old blade assembly. Uh-oh, what's going on here?

After some fiddling around, the jet washer came off the old blade assembly. I removed the adaptor from the new blade, and tried to install the jet washer adaptor. It snaps in, but is too tight so it doesn't work properly. Back to the drawing board.

Then I reinstalled the new adaptor in the new blade assembly, put them on the arms, with the result of a good looking and functional renewed wiper system. Only remaining problem, jet washers and old adaptors are not attached to anything. So as a temporary repair I siliconed them to the new wiper assembly. It looks stock and nobody except an expert will notice it isn't.

Later I'll permanently cut the jet washers off the old adaptors, and remedy one of the XJ's minor styling flaws, which is a small rubber hose is visible from the driver's seat on the wiper assembly. I'll cut the hoses a few inches shorter, and mount the jet washers under the wiper arm. That will make them invisible, which they should have been all along.

So the bottom line here is you can quickly replace your XJ wipers for less than $20, with products available at any auto parts store, and some small amount of time to remount the jet washers.

When I next take my Cat out of the garage I'll post on how the new wipers actually function. But this will be a few days, because we are supposed to have constant rain over this period.
So how did it work?

Old 12-05-2014, 10:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The nozzles are on top of the wiper blade so that you dont dry wipe the windscreen on the first sweep

Old 12-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Received 308 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Unfortuantely you did not see this in the FAQ threads

Originally Posted by XJPurr

I did a "How To" in the XJ FAQ section on wiper blade replacement with the part numbers for any Autozone, for about $13.00 total and you easily retain the factory arm. This is an excellent replacement instead of replacing the entire factory assembly or rigging something to work for the washers. A lot of members have been successful with this method.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...xj-vdp-110698/

Old 12-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Trico Exacto arm and wiper. direct replacement. Put the washer on pull the plastic fulrum pin and slide the wiper assembly on. Couldn't be any easier. 9 bucks at Advanced auto. part number is 19-1 and 24-1

Last edited by ooootis; 12-08-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XJ6 - series 3 Wiper confusion!

XJ6 - series 3.
I see in the thread you talk of wiper blades 24" & 19" long.
My car has wiper blades only 15 3/4" long for both driver and passenger side and on the passenger side the wiper blade already overlaps the chrome beading by about 2" if I position the wiper arm in the logical position. (NB this is a RHD car)
If I measure from the pivot point on the wiper arm to the windscreen corner, it is only about 6". The previous owner fitted the arm so that the blade didn't rest neatly parallel with the bottom of the screen and it tended to argue with the drivers side which was more or less parallel with the bottom.
It just looks wrong how he had it fitted.
My car is very original and unmolested so I don't believe the wiper arms could be the wrong ones? Something is however very wrong.
Are the correct blades offset in relation to the pivot?

Alex Divov

Browns Cows (04-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2015, 03:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wiper blade replacement

As a very good aftermarket wiper replacement the rubber blades from Bosch Microedge blades, 19” 40719A, 24” 40724 work well. I paid less then $25.00 Can (aprox $20 US) from a local Auto Parts, Lordco.

On my 2004 XJ8 the OEM wiper blades are Trico. On the Trico web site they list the replacement numbers, 15-240 & 15-190. I ordered these through a local supplier but when they arrived they were very different in design and style from the original and as much as we tried could not fit them onto the ‘J’ wiper arms.

After much research, including fitting Honda CR-V 19” refills which worked well on the Pass. side, unfortunately they don’t make the same refill in 24” to fit the drivers side, I found the above Bosch blades as refills. The Bosch come as complete wiper blades which include the frame and rubber wiper edge. Only the rubber edge is used, not the frame. This retains the look of the OE.

Replacement can be done on the car but its best to completely remove the old wiper blade including the centre hinge piece that contains the washer heads.

Remove the rubber blade from both the old and new wiper blades. Take care not to damage the new rubber blades particularly around the indentions the frame end claws go into and metal side strips. A little KY Jelly or other water soluble lube helps.

The new blades should slide perfectly into the claws of the old frame. Use a little lube if needed or slightly spread or squeeze each claw with a tool. Make sure the metal side strips are properly in place or they will work loose as well as the end claws are properly fitted in the indentations. Then refit on to the arms.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

"After some fiddling around, the jet washer came off the old blade assembly. I removed the adaptor from the new blade, and tried to install the jet washer adaptor. It snaps in, but is too tight so it doesn't work properly. Back to the drawing board."

My solution was to rub down both sides of the jet assy. on emery paper until it fitted.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This wiper blade fiasco is another example of over engineered rubbish. I went to OReillys to change the blade as that is part of service. These guys do plenty but the recommended Bosch or Trico could not be made to work. Its like the time I went into dealership for a head console because the switches were finished. He could sell me the switches but could not tell me how to replace even if I needed to. The floor head mechanic says you have to butcher a plate and then reassemble with new screws. This mechanic didn't even know how to put in a bulb in a fog light. Now that I have one of these cars I realize there are no others on the road. Jag have been such idiots. Don't they realize if a car is useless at 10-12 yrs and worth more to scrap then they will undoubtedly have problems selling new? There are so many other idiotic 'advances' I'm getting rid of this dog asap.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Bosch Aerotwin AR608S (1x24" and 1x19") come complete with new nozzles attached. They're all plastic, much lighter (less strain on the drive mechanism) and aerodynamically cleaner than the metal OEM blades, ... and work just fine.

Last edited by Partick the Cat; 12-23-2016 at 04:58 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Partick the Cat:
Adam2fl (10-30-2019), Brit57 (12-27-2016), Dr John (12-24-2016), Otakar (06-11-2017), Samilcar (08-24-2020)
Old 12-23-2016, 05:26 PM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

+1. I put the Bosch ones on mine a month ago. Cheap, easy and look better than the OEM ones.

Brit57 (12-27-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 07:20 AM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks, Partick! The Bosch Aerotwin look like what I am looking for since it is winter here in the North East and snow is common and heavy.

Just did a search on Amazon.com and eBay and only saw one supplier in Riga, Latvia. They advertise that I can call them during business hours to check the fit but not sure if it would be easy to do since I'm in the US. I am wondering if they don't import these into the US?

Brit57 (12-27-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

There must be a US importer surely ? At least two major auto-accessory chains here in the UK stock them.

Old 12-24-2016, 02:39 PM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

eBay has them, search the Bosch number

Quick Reply: XJ wiper replacement