XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

XJ8-L Goose Honk?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ8-L Goose Honk?

Hello fellow forum members! I have finally made the jump to the elite group of Jaguar owners... but I couldn't just stop at any Jaguar (not knocking any of the other models, they're all unique and nice!) but I had to get their top-of-top! The XJ8-L. I am very happy with it. I prefer to drive it over my Mercedes E55 any time!!! I also plan to have it un-governed!

Are there any problems I should be keeping my eye out for? It's a 2005 with 44,000 miles. Black with navigation and tan leather, etc. It's also too fast for its own good.

Now, it handles like a dream but I wanted to ask about a few things. When I am driving, it seems like it wants to switch hard and fast out of first gear into second (just a little jolt, unless I really ease into it)--- but then from there it's smooth sailing.

Second, when I am gassing out of a turn or if I punch it on the freeway trying to get from 50 to 80, I hear a slight inhaling noise from what sounds like from the front-right portion of the engine. It's only one gasp and I can only describe it as a surprised gasp or an angry goose honk. Is it a turbo winding up? Dying, etc? Tensioner?

Thanks everyone who replies and I look forward to getting to know all of you in the future!!!!!

Lastly, where do I get the bi-xenon reflector headlamps. I like the look of the eyes, that's the one thing this car did not come with I can't do the old-style yellow lamps. Personal preference. Aftermarket or Genuine--- doesn't matter. I can't find them anywhere!

Old 07-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,342 Posts

[QUOTE=zach8131;1007967]Hello fellow forum members! I have finally made the jump to the elite group of Jaguar owners... but I couldn't just stop at any Jaguar (not knocking any of the other models, they're all unique and nice!) but I had to get their top-of-top! The XJ8-L. I am very happy with it. I prefer to drive it over my Mercedes E55 any time!!! I also plan to have it un-governed!

Are there any problems I should be keeping my eye out for? It's a 2005 with 44,000 miles. Black with navigation and tan leather, etc. It's also too fast for its own good.

Second, when I am gassing out of a turn or if I punch it on the freeway trying to get from 50 to 80, I hear a slight inhaling noise from what sounds like from the front-right portion of the engine. It's only one gasp and I can only describe it as a surprised gasp or an angry goose honk. Is it a turbo winding up? Dying, etc? Tensioner?

Hi and Welcome Zach. There are several threads on what to look for on X350. Personally, I don't want to own the Jag or any other car unless I have all of the maintenance records. That can be a challenge, but that was a dealer breaker and maker when I bought my Super V8. 44K is very low mileage so that's a plus.

The sound your describing happens when you punch it? There is a notorious "Thwump" that our models make when you punch the gas and it's a known issue with the transmission. According to the dealer's master mechanic, it's relatively harmless but there is a cure, change the fluid and pan. About $250 DIY. Much more if a mechanic does it. You can find several threads on this as well. I'm damn near deaf and have only heard this noise once on my car with both my hearing aids set to stun. It didn't come from the engine bay however. Both my wife and I would have described it as "beneath the dash but toward the driver", so this seems in sync with the known transmission issue the mechanic described to me and fix. I will change mine out at the end of the driving season.

With the E55 you no doubt are familiar with the air suspension. Problematic with Mercedes and Jaguar is no different. Relatively simple design, can be repaired with basic DIY skills but the parts are expensive. (Again, no different than Mercedes) Not guaranteed to fail but a major pain point when it does.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:31 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,145 Likes on 751 Posts

Hey zach, welcome to X350 ownership!

I believe, even though you don't have xenons/HID, your headlamps utilize the projector lens. If that's the case, its simply a matter of getting a good, aftermarket HID kit and swapping out your bulbs with it. It is perfectly safe since the projectors are cutting off the beam pattern just like the rest of us with HID from the factory. Its a huge upgrade, you should definitely do it. No bi-xenon, however, just a separate low beam and high beam.