XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

XJ8 (two problems can someone help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ8 (two problems can someone help?

Problem No 1. valve No 7 making noise and the car radiator runs out of water after few miles of running (the person I bought the car from i beleive said the Car Ran Hot while his wife was driving) I have purchased the two head gaskets and intake and exhaust valve seals. Should this correct the valve nocking and radiator loosing water.

Problem No 2. Front apssenger seat will tilt backward but will not come back to upright position? I have changed the switch in the seat and the problem still not corrected. Can some one tell me where, if there is a selonoid or where and how to correcthis problem. If the motor goes back ward and does not come forward there is electrical problem can not be a motor problem.

Please. please is there some one who can advice to correct these two problems.

Pargan R. Pawar (Peter)
Nassau, Bahamas.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, sounds like the person you purchased from destroyed the engine. Coolant hose leaks and coolant reservoir problems are common on these cars, but also obvious-coolant will be leaking everywhere and you'll get a 'low coolant' alarm telling you to pull the hell over before you wreck your engine. Sounds like your car may have been driven with little to no coolant, and thus needs a new engine. Good luck, hope I'm wrong! Get this to a mechanic ASAP.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:04 PM

Big harv is right, mine is in the shop right now and its costed about 600 for a water pump thermostat and coolant tank to be replaced. i had the same problem one day it just overheated fiercely. it is common in those cars but i would not just start throwing parts into it hoping it fixes the problem. all of that is a classic pressure problem, soon you will be spilling coolant out of the tank if you dont get a mechanic on it. i hope the engine didnt take that much damage from that previous owner.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,440 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Regarding your Problem No 2, I think your problem is all internal to the seat, so you just have to track back from the switch. According to my X350 Technical Notes, the switches for adjusting the passenger seat are wired directly to the seat motors. So you need to check volts at the motor end.

As regards Problem No 1, clearly this is your Numero Uno problem ! Minimum service action has to be removal of the cylinder heads. FWIW, the noise on "valve 7" (there are four per cylinder, remember, 2 inlet and 2 exhaust) sounds like a bent valve. Difficult to figure how this might occurr, though, unless the timing had slipped in some way, or the valve was lazy in coming back due to lack of oil. You will find out when you lift the heads.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:42 PM

Many thanks for coments and advice on Jaguar XJ8 engine with two problems?
Well first of all thank God the engine status is good, beacuse there is no oil leaks and there is no water leaks any where out side the engine. It is fairly possible that the valve on cylinder #7 is either bent or not seating properly.
I have had a mechanic take out the spark plugs on troubled piston #2 and # 7 and examine them and the egine thoroughly. Piston #2 was not firing because the spark plug needed cleaning. After cleaning the spark plug on # 2 piston it is firing O.K.
Piston # 7 it is making tapping noise and not firing. When we removed the spark plug it is fouled with oil on it and we both came to the same finding that A). The valve is bent and it needs to be changed. B). the valve is not seating properly and the valve seating "O" rings needs to be changed. The compression of the piston was tested for oil ring wear, the compression of the piston it is O.K.
C). The cylinder head gaskiet could be burnet, or the cylinder head could be cracked?
I am hopeful and pretty sure that it is only the valve on cylinder # 7 that needs attention. But I am prepared to change the both cylinder head gaskets and change the valve seating "O" rings and if it comes to that i will change the valve as well, why not lets do it I like the car.
I welcome any more coments on this situation

Pargan R. Pawar
Nassau, Bahamas

Old 06-29-2012, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,440 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Good luck with your engine repairs. I hope they don't cost too much.