XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1995 xj6 speakers not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 xj6 speakers not working

I have a '95 x300 base model. To my knowledge car does not/should not have premium sound. The factory head had began to die and eventually died all together. I replaced it with a modern sony head, I decided my desire for modern things like bluetooth audio and hands-free, etc were greater than my desire to keep the stock head.
Background, prior to stock unit dying, it would only mainly work on the drivers side speaker only, and even that would be scratchy and come and go. Eventually went and never came back.
Replaced with sony unit, used a harness to adapt onto Jag harness into sony. Unit powers up, drivers side speaker works/sounds great, nothing wrong with it.
Almost no sound comes from passenger speaker or either rear speaker. If you fade/balance to each one you get get some high frequency, seems to be only coming from the tweeters on the top of dash/rear parcel shelf.
It was my understanding that a only a premium sound model would have a system with tweeters. That being said I did NOT have the gray DIN cable on the back of the facotry head unit, which I also understood was a tell tale tale sign of premium sound.
Based on what I've said above I am inclined to believe there must be an amp or something somewhere, though so far I have not seen one in the usual places. Also I do not have a CD changer in this car. I don't think it ever had one, though the control cable for it was present behind factory head. but top of trunk and drivers side of trunk are completely blank.
I don't know if there is an off-board crossover network somewhere?
It strikes me that there must be something if you have a 2-way type speaker setup with only one set of cables per channel coming of the head unit.
Like say, drivers speaker works great on new sony.
Any ideas or knowledge would be great, this is more of a mystery than I imagined.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

I believe the standard system in the US had 8 speakers, 4 mid-bass speakers (1 in each door) and 4 tweeters (2 in the fascia and 2 in the rear parcel shelf.

The difference in the premium sound system was an additional power amp mounted in the boot and a sub woofer mounted in the rear parcel shelf. Also the speakers in the doors were an upgraded unit.

Looking at the electrical diagram for the standard system, it appears all 8 speakers connect directly to the head unit, so any cross overs must be within the head unit itself.

The following users liked this post:
MikeyB10 (07-23-2016)
Old 12-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,803 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Originally Posted by jbd172002
I don't know if there is an off-board crossover network somewhere?
It strikes me that there must be something if you have a 2-way type speaker setup with only one set of cables per channel coming of the head unit.
Like say, drivers speaker works great on new sony.
Any ideas or knowledge would be great, this is more of a mystery than I imagined.

I'm with Allan. With the standard "hi-fi system" ( how's that for a stroll down memory lane? ) the speakers were wired directly into the head unit. No nothin' in
between.

I suspect you have a problem with the speaker wires/connections somewhere along the line

Cheers
DD

Old 12-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,803 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanG
I believe the standard system in the US had 8 speakers, 4 mid-bass speakers (1 in each door) and 4 tweeters (2 in the fascia and 2 in the rear parcel shelf.

The difference in the premium sound system was an additional power amp mounted in the boot and a sub woofer mounted in the rear parcel shelf. Also the speakers in the doors were an upgraded unit.

Right, but the tweeters in the dash were disconnected (but, oddly, still installed) and A-pillar tweeters used instead. The rear tweeters were moved to the rear door panels

Cheers
DD

Old 12-14-2013, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Right, but the tweeters in the dash were disconnected (but, oddly, still installed) and A-pillar tweeters used instead. The rear tweeters were moved to the rear door panels

Cheers
DD
Thanks Doug, that will teach me to only read the electrical guide

My XJ6 is relatively new to me so I haven't messed with the stereo yet but just looking I noticed that the front tweeters were only in the A pillar, none installed in the fascia. However, I do have tweeters installed (or at least their covers) in the rear parcel shelf and in the rear doors. Mine is an early MY95 without glovebox.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I can confirm tweeters sans premium sound on my 95 VDP, though to confirm whether A pillar or dash I'd have to dismount the warm comfy bed and walk out to the shop in a cold rain - sorry - don't love y'all that much.

You didn't mention changing the speakers, though I assume you must have, already? All the stock ones I've seen are well-busted already....though most have still managed to vibrate a bit and make some noise. If not, check that, I suppose if enough of the material around the cone crumbles and falls away it may silence it.

Edit: Ok, I took notice - My front tweeters are in the dash, at each end of the defrost louvers. Nothing in the A-Pillars and I don't have premium sound - so it's in-line with Doug's statement.

Last edited by aholbro1; 12-16-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for everyone's reply, going to have to look into a couple of things.
I will add, yes I did replace the stock and yes rotten speakers in the door with 2way aftermarket speakers from crutchfield and I used the included adapters to connect new speakers to factory wiring.
I'm stuck in a hospital waiting room all day so I don't have access to my Jag manuals on the iPad. ( no worries minor outpatient procedure)
What does not make sense to me about the speakers all being wired directly is that if in fact the tweeters are present, unless it's a really cheap way of wiring it, would have involve a crossover or something to divide the sound frequecies. It would either have to be line level or speaker level, but if since it doesn't have an external power amp it would be speaker level. There is only one set of speaker connections per location from the factory head, as there is on any aftermarket unit.
Like say I dont have access to the manuals wiring diagrams at the moment, so I'll look later and get back to the post.
Again thanks for the help.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jbd172002
What does not make sense to me about the speakers all being wired directly is that if in fact the tweeters are present, unless it's a really cheap way of wiring it, would have involve a crossover or something to divide the sound frequecies. It would either have to be line level or speaker level, but if since it doesn't have an external power amp it would be speaker level. There is only one set of speaker connections per location from the factory head, as there is on any aftermarket unit.
Like say I dont have access to the manuals wiring diagrams at the moment, so I'll look later and get back to the post.
Again thanks for the help.
I would assume that the crossovers are in the head unit. Nothing fancy just passive frequency cutoffs perhaps? Another possible but to my mind less likely method would be to use speakers that only respond to certain frequency ranges.

There are definitely tweeters present, I was just in my rear door yesterday

MikeyB10 (07-23-2016)
Old 04-07-2017, 03:40 AM
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Capacitors

I know I'm a little late to the thread but the "crossovers" Capacitors for the tweeters, are on the tweeters in the base model. I'm in the middle of trying to upgrade my system with similar problems mentioned here.
Does anyone have a clear description of how to remove the demister vents to gain access and replace the dash tweeters.?

Old 04-07-2017, 06:52 AM
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
MikeyB10 (04-08-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyB10
I know I'm a little late to the thread but the "crossovers" Capacitors for the tweeters, are on the tweeters in the base model. I'm in the middle of trying to upgrade my system with similar problems mentioned here.
Does anyone have a clear description of how to remove the demister vents to gain access and replace the dash tweeters.?

Very simple, and reference the parts diagram from Jaguar Classic Parts.

First pull or gently prize straight up on the center "solar sensor panel" (part 7) between the two defrost vents. This part is held in with two clips that should release easily. You'll then need to sit it aside, and there should be enough slack in the wiring to the sensor to allow you to do so without disconnecting it.

Under the "solar sensor panel" is a small phillips head screw that holds each defroster vent (part 8). Because it is so close to the windscreen, you will need a mirror, 90 degree low profile screwdriver that I recommend is either magnetic or you also place a magnet probe nearby so that you can remove and catch the screw so as not to drop the screw into the defroster duct.

Once that single screw is removed, the defroster vent will lift straight up from the center. There is a clip mid-way down under the vent you will feel release once you lift it about an inch or so. Often the plastic on the vent that the clip grabs is broken, so you may not feel it release.

Once the defroster vent is lifted enough to disengage the center clip, you will gently pull/slide the vent horizontally toward the center (toward the "solar sensor panel"). This will disengage and slide the slot at the far end of the vent off that slips over a plastic fir-tree rivet. You'll feel it resist as the tweeter also will catch in its hole, but you just lift/pull gently and it will come out. Be careful not to lift the vent too high as you can crack the vent bezel down around the tweeter area if the slot hasn't fully disengaged. You just have to "feel" for how it is coming out and be gentle.

With regard to the speaker locations and stock crossovers, I think it has been well covered. But in summary regarding the mid/tweeters for both standard and premium, each mid/tweeter pair is wired together at the mid-woofer and the tweeter has a capacitor for low frequency filtering. There is no separate crossover. BTW, in the premium system I think the standard tweeter locations are also still installed in the rear package deck, unused, just like they are in the dash. So I think the premium cars have four unused tweeters. Odd.

Attached Thumbnails 1995 xj6 speakers not working-fascia-dash-parts.png  
The following 2 users liked this post by al_roethlisberger:
b1mcp (04-07-2017), MikeyB10 (04-08-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

PM me for I live north of the river . I worked electronics and will put a meter on it before you rip open everything . Before that will put in my radio because I think that it's more likely your issue . Mine is the standard option so I know the setup . Take about 10 Minutes .

Thanks , Joe

Attached Thumbnails 1995 xj6 speakers not working-jaguar-x300-alpine-aj9500a-untitledvvvvv.jpg  
MikeyB10 (04-08-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 03:15 AM
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

al_roethlisberger, Thanks for the description re: removing the dash tweeters, things are only complicated the first time you do them!.
After I decided to go and have a go it took me about five min to remove the demister vents to get to the tweeters.
I soldered in the passive crossovers to the existing wires and dropped them behind the solar sensor panel. I did an Ohm test between the tweeter wires and corresponding door woofers to confirm that the tweeters are run parallel with their left and right counterparts.
Happily, my new tweeters fitted in snuggly to the existing mountings but unfortunately haven't solved my sound issues.
I got some scratchy sounds out of them with the very faint hint of the radio that was supposed to be playing, exactly the same symptoms as the pair I removed.
I think it may be time to bite the bullet and look into removing the head unit for repair or replacement.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:16 PM
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

You might take that pin diagram (from Lady Penelope ) and use some diy fashioned probes or pins to insert the signal/ground leads from a known working sound source.
That way you can rule out any problem from there on back to the speaker.

I have had to glue in new outer surrounds on some of my door speakers that had rotted away ( but I think that makes a buzzing sound - not necessarily less volume).

Take a 14-gauge copper wire stripped and hammer the end so that it flattens out and that's just the size to insert into that pin point of the jack -- also solder a lead wire from the sound source to that copper wire before inserting.

But whatever method, you should be able to rule out speakers or head unit that way.

MikeyB10 (05-06-2017)