XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1995 xj6 (x300) electrical faults please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 01:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scrappyloz
I have just brought a 1995 jaguar xj6 (x300) with the 3.2 engine. I have a few electrical issues i was hoping someone could help me with.

Firstly my electric aerial has a mind of its own. When accelerating and decelerating below 40 miles an hour the aerial goes up and down in time with your foot. I.E When you accelerate the aerial goes up and when you slow down it goes down. Stay above 40 and it stays up all the time, and when your not moving it stays up.

Secondly the door open light is on all the time. and i cant find the sensors to see if one is broken. Is there any way i can test each door to find which sensor is broken. Also where are the sensors. If not can i remove a fuse to get rid of the light or does that fuse control other things

Thirdly the button on the dash that you press for the central locking to lock all the doors does nothing at all. And if you press the drivers door lock plunger down it locks all the doors for 2 seconds and then automatically all the doors unlock again. The remote central locking works off the key though. Also i have two remote fobs and the REMOTE central locking works VERY intermittatly if not at all (it is not the fobs)

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks loz
I understand your situation I,m having problems with the electrical in my jag also. Here's where I think the problems is. I believe the relays in most X300 jags are faulty, what I'm going to do is get an x300 wiring diagram and find out where all the relays are and check them myself. Maybe you should do the same thing. CHECK THE RELAYS

Old 08-31-2009, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Ok guys, take a deep breath.

The case of the magical x300 starts with the analysis of the symptoms, not blindly checking stuff (and there are a pile of relays, BTW). Since the light stays on AND, the doors unlock after locking, that would indicate a door switch is indicating door open. The doors unlock in this condition to prevent locking the keys in. Troubleshoot? scanner software or plain old test meter and wiring. If you don't know what that means, I suggest professional help. Not for you, for the car.

The antenna going up and down with speed? You got me there.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Try spraying some wd40 into the locks to free up any stickiness. Regarding the antenna issue, might it be related to the automatic volume control which rises and falls with engine speed? try cleaning the connector block/connection at the back of the radio with some contact cleaner, as the wiring for this feature is part of the block as is the antenna feed. maybe someone messed with it at some time in the past. Diagrams and instructions for radio removal are available here via a search or in the TSB's at the top of the forum page.

Best of luck with it.