XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1995 XJR repair record

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts
Default 1995 XJR repair record

While updating my service file it struck me that I've covered almost exactly 100k miles (100,521) with my XJR so I thought to re-summarize, on the odd chance that anyone cares :-)

-replace steering tilt motor
-replace 2 front wheel bearings
-repair door latch switch, right front
-replace trans mount and spring
-replace power steering return hose
-replace one oxy sensor
-replace thermostat
-replace intercooler pump
-replace brake light switch
-replace rear wheel bearing, right side
-replace differential
-replace water pump
-replace air injection pump
-replace idler pulleys
-replace both exhaust manifolds
-replace starter
-replace 4 seat heaters
-replace trans solenoids and speed sensors
-repair broken sub woofer speaker
-replace gas gauge sender
-replace multiple ignition coils
-replace antenna mast
-repair door latch switch, left rear
-replace radio (several times)
-clean throttle body (2x)
-replace radiator upper mounts
-replace crank sensor
-replace cam cover gasket
-replace trunk lid supports
-replace u-joints
-replace center bearing on driveshaft
-replace water pump (again)
-replace harmonic balancer (re-bonded)

Not listed are consumables such as brake pads and rotors, belts, coolant hoses, battery, etc. Speaking of brakes I have almost 100k miles on the Akebono ceramics and they still have ample thickness. However, most of my driving is "highway" so naturally the brakes don't get as much use as a car driven mostly in the city

Also not listed is replacement of three headlamps and two signal lamps due to rock/debris damage.

A huge expense has been tires, with 18 being purchased over the course of 6 years (including the set I'm running on now), two being replaced to road damage and 16 due to wear out.

(When I bought the car at 30k miles the Goodyear tires were worn out....and *they* were replacements for the original Pirelli P-Zeros. If we generously assume the originals went 15k miles, the history looks like this: replacements at 15k, 30k, 55k, 77k, and 118k miles. that's 20 tires!)

I've not mentioned umpteen hours spent repairing squeeks and rattles. Finally got 'em all, though! Ahhhh....silence :-)

Upcoming concerns are some oil leaks that are getting a bit too much to ignore and a slight brake pull suggesting a caliper problem.

On the bright side: no problems with suspension, climate control, alarm, power windows-locks-seats (although memory function is "iffy"), cruise control and many other sub-systems. No fuel delivery/pump/injection problems. No overheating issues. No mechanical engine problems. No supercharger problems. Uses only one quart of oil every 4k miles. Trans is soldiering on but I sense it's getting slightly tired....not quite as crisp as it used to be although it'll still occasionally chirp the tires on the 1-2 shift at WOT.

I'm plannng on running the car for another 40-50k miles. Let's see what happens :-). It has been totally "reliable" in the sense that it has never left me stranded. And by all indications it will be "durable". However, I obviously can't say it has been trouble-free!

Cheers
DD

Old 11-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

THanks for the summary Doug. I'm at 122k (Normally Aspirated) and hoping for another 100k of (relatively) trouble-free operation. You can add 4 door speakers to your "on the bright side" paragraph - think you may have the only '95 that hasn't needed them replaced!

In a coupla months, when Jan/Feb arrive, it will be time for me to utter my annual "dangit, I shoulda fixed the heated seats last summer" exclamation.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

I might be too tone deaf to notice any defect with the door speakers :-). At minimum, though, they don't buzz or rattle as the broken sub-woofer did.

I might add that lack of suspension wear/problems/noises can probably be attributed to accumulating so many miles on smooth interstate highways. As the saying goes, highway miles are "easy miles".

Cheers
DD