XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1995 XJR trunk won't stay open

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1995 XJR trunk won't stay open

Hi, new to the forum here, tried searching but couldn't find an answer.
Trunk was working fine on Friday, went to get something out of it on Sunday and it felt like it weighed a ton. When I fully raised it, it wouldn't stay open. I presume there must be a spring or torsion bar system that assists the opening and keeps it up - can anyone let me know if this is a common fault and if it is easily fixed?
thanks
Andrew

Old 05-01-2012, 03:58 AM
Received 10,286 Likes on 6,807 Posts

Andrew,

2 gas struts, one on each side, attached to the hinge and going forward to the body.

Real PAIN to get at the ends of each strut to release the little clip, but do-able.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:13 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

+1

Gas struts don't seem to give any warning of failure. OK one day and gone the next.

They usually have a good lifespan but this is considerably reduced if the luggage compartment lid is left open for very long periods. I've learned not to do this when the battery is on maintenance charge.

Graham

Old 05-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Might as well check the bonnet struts while you're at it. If the bonnet doesn't stay firmly open, with some resistance to closing, the struts are near failure. As Grant says, do-able, and not particularly expensive.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Thumbs up Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the info - the hood (bonnet) struts are really tired and I have replacements I ordered on hand waiting to install, so I guess the trunk ones are equally as tired. I'll get some trunk ones on order and get the junk out of the trunk over the weekend so I can climb inside and attempt to see the far ends and figure out how to extract.

regards
Andrew

Old 05-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

ordered? Pull one off and take it to your local supplier, I'm sure they'll have a match.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Tips for getting at the ends of each strut

Originally Posted by mehdit
Thanks for the info - the hood (bonnet) struts are really tired and I have replacements I ordered on hand waiting to install, so I guess the trunk ones are equally as tired. I'll get some trunk ones on order and get the junk out of the trunk over the weekend so I can climb inside and attempt to see the far ends and figure out how to extract.

regards
Andrew
Hey mehdit,

Did you replace the trunk gas struts yet? Like Grant Francis said, it looks to me like would really be a pain to get at the ends of each strut to release them and hook in the new one. Any tips?

Old 11-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Andrew,

2 gas struts, one on each side, attached to the hinge and going forward to the body.

Real PAIN to get at the ends of each strut to release the little clip, but do-able.
Hey Grant,

Any tips for getting at the hidden end of each strut to release them and hook in the new one?

Old 11-25-2012, 04:44 AM

Yep, take the fuel tank out REALLY.

Seriously, for just a minute whilst the barmaid pours another beer.

The spring clips DO NOT need to be fully removed, you will know this once the strut is OFF, too late. Sooooo with a LOOOOONG thin spaded blade screwdriver slide it along the strut, towards the rear seat, and if you hold your mouth just right, you will feel the small indent in the end ball eye, now slowly push the blade into this indent, and twist slightly, the strut WILL pop off.

You will attempt this many times before it simply falls into place. first one took me about 1 hour, and 4 beers, the second was about 30 seconds.

The strut that goes thru the fuel filler piping (LH side) is the worst, so do it second. The RH side is a tad easier, and with a STRONG LED torch, you can actually SEE the end up atop the tank.

If you have NEW struts, look at the make up of the clip in the ball socket, it is a simple thing, and that really will give you the key to what is required to free the ball.

Beers arrived, see ya.

The following users liked this post:
dmpsqrd (01-22-2013)
Old 11-25-2012, 02:34 PM
Default 3 out of 4 ain't bad !

Well, I changed out the hood struts first - easy as pie!
After struggling for about a half hour, I got the left hand trunk strut swapped out, but after a couple of hours of trying, I could not get the right hand trunk strut off. I pulled out the carpet and wiring harness to gain access, and slightly bent the end of a long thin screwdriver to make locating the slot under the spring easier, but I just couldn't get it. Worst of all my nine year old daugeher was holding the flashlight for me so I couldn't swear!! Trunk does stay open now which is much better than balancing it on my head when extracting the groceries! My XJR is due for a service in the spring, so I'll see if they can install it for me - maybe they have a mechanic with long skinny arms, I really don't want take the tank out,
Thanks for all of the advice

Old 11-25-2012, 06:24 PM

OH HELL.

I WAS ONLY JOKING ABOUT THE TANK. But if you ever have the tank out, replace those suckers, take all of 2 minutes.

The LH needs unclipping to get the tank out anyway's, so you have done the one that is "usually" the hardest.

The freedom of language does aid these tasks most times, so a "private session" might sort it.