XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

1996 Jaguar XJ6 cranks but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Back on the wiring diagram above tiled battery you will see a second 250 amp fuse link

This fuse link is under the right rear seat pan behind the RH heelboard fuse box at the rear passenger foot area

If you lift the seat pan without removing he pan from the car you will see a triangle plastic cover on the right side covering the fuse link and its terminal nuts

If you slide the seat pan out of the car you risk damaging the felt door surround trim

This fuse link is before the 2 terminal post for the left and right engine fuse box in the blue colored areas

But is not for the starter cable run in red color

The splice point is were we split the problem in halve before removing the seat

If you read the voltage sag during starter rotation at the terminal post for the starter cable on the right wheel well you would see the area of interest being a high case ground from the starter solenoid output terminal to the starter motor pigtail

Instead of 100 % of the battery power going down the pigtail wire to the brushes for starter rotation , which it does . It grounds to the case of the starter solenoid which further drops the battery voltage to run the ECU properly

This is the case with my car as well as the example at the salvage yard

9.0 volts is my reading from a good load tested battery with the proper sized test equipment

With the solenoid removed and in free air with no wires attached the output terminal post to case ground is a very small 1 ohm

The 2 new solenoids I ordered do the same thing with the 1 ohm case ground along with new different sourced starter motor assemblies with the different new solenoid attached

The starter motor is a common Bosch 110 series with robust brushes and bearings and I took it apart to inspect and sand the commuter ring with cutback

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 04-02-2019 at 07:04 AM. Reason: ng the felt material on the door trim
Old 04-02-2019, 05:35 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
Back on the wiring diagram above tiled battery you will see a second 250 amp fuse link

This fuse link is under the right rear seat pan behind the RH heelboard fuse box at the rear passenger foot area

Editing
I think this is what you're referring to (circled in blue)...right?

Old 04-02-2019, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member

Yes

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 04-02-2019 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:50 PM

If you lift the seat pan without removing he pan from the car you will see a triangle plastic cover on the right side covering the fuse link and its terminal nuts

If you slide the seat pan out of the car you risk damaging the felt door surround trim

This fuse link is before the 2 terminal post for the left and right engine fuse box in the blue colored areas

But is not for the starter cable run in red color

The splice point is were we split the problem in halve before removing the seat

If you read the voltage sag during starter rotation at the terminal post for the starter cable on the right wheel well you would see the area of interest being a high case ground from the starter solenoid output terminal to the starter motor pigtail

Instead of 100 % of the battery power going down the pigtail wire to the brushes for starter rotation , which it does . It grounds to the case of the starter solenoid which further drops the battery voltage to run the ECU properly

This is the case with my car as well as the example at the salvage yard

9.0 volts is my reading from a good load tested battery with the proper sized test equipment

With the solenoid removed and in free air with no wires attached the output terminal post to case ground is a very small 1 ohm

The 2 new solenoids I ordered do the same thing with the 1 ohm case ground along with new different sourced starter motor assemblies with the different new solenoid attached

The starter motor is a common Bosch 110 series with robust brushes and bearings and I took it apart to inspect and sand the commuter ring with cutback

If I'm interpreting you correctly, are you saying that my starter might be going bad?

I took the mass air flow sensor out and squirted starting fluid into the intake as my sub cranked...she fired but didn't run...just caught and died! This means I'm not getting an injector pulse. Right? So, if the starter is going bad and sucking voltage as I crank, this would result in a low voltage situation and not enable the injectors. Right?

I hope I'm understanding the setup now.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:12 PM

SHE STARTED!!!

As near as I can tell, my Roadi scanner disabled the injectors when I cleared the codes on Saturday. Tonight I threw caution to the wind and figured I wouldn't do any more harm if I hooked it up again and fiddled with it. One of the selections was "fuel ready". On a whim I selected it and tried the key. She fired right up.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:12 PM

Thank you everyone for your patience and advice.

The following users liked this post:
b1mcp (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

That's good news that you're up and running. Well done.

I've never heard of a scan tool disabling an engine start on any car, and certainly not on the X300. I don't know how it would do that. It would be good if you could try and repeat the scenario as a learning exercise for us all

On second thoughts just leave well alone.

Don B (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by b1mcp
That's good news that you're up and running. Well done.

I've never heard of a scan tool disabling an engine start on any car, and certainly not on the X300. I don't know how it would do that. It would be good if you could try and repeat the scenario as a learning exercise for us all

On second thoughts just leave well alone.
Well, I'm repeating it. Ugh. It's not firing again. I'll keep messing with it. Maybe the scan tool was a coincidence. Who knows when it comes to 'trons?

Old 04-02-2019, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member

CSI / X300

There was the case where someone found something messed up in the OBD 2 connector

The fuse # 10 is the " control " power to close both fuel pump relays to allow " power " from a different fuse to power the pumps

The ECU provides a ground to command the relay closed

If it was a data bus wire that was data corrupted I can see how this could interfere with the fuel pump relay enable in the ECU

Does the # 1 pump run with the reader in the OBD 2 port ?

notice the control power for the relay goes through the BT4 connector above the fuel tank in the trunk , this connector can come loose if the lock over bar is not tywrapped closed

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 04-02-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Don B (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 09:44 PM
Received 12,725 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Originally Posted by bdholsin
SHE STARTED!!!

As near as I can tell, my Roadi scanner disabled the injectors when I cleared the codes on Saturday. Tonight I threw caution to the wind and figured I wouldn't do any more harm if I hooked it up again and fiddled with it. One of the selections was "fuel ready". On a whim I selected it and tried the key. She fired right up.
I do think this was just a coincidence. From what I know of the Roadi scanner, it is a conventional generic OBDII DTC reader and not a bi-directional diagnostic tool capable of changing settings in vehicle ECUs.

The "Fuel Ready" you noticed was probably a reference to the Fuel System Continuous Monitor, which is one of the monitors that is always ready, unlike the Non-Continuous Monitors.

I agree with Parker that your cranking voltage is far too low - maybe when it started it happened to surge enough for the ECM to trigger ignition and fuel. It is quite common for batteries to lose their cranking amp capacity over time, especially if they've been deeply discharged.

Have you cleaned your battery power connections and ground points, including the engine ground strap Parker mentioned? Corrosion at those connections adds cumulative resistance that can pull down your cranking voltage. It may do little good to just tighten the nuts and bolts if you haven't disassembled them and cleaned the studs, bolts nuts washers and eyelet terminals on the wires with a small wire brush and zero-residue electronic cleaner.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 04-02-2019 at 09:48 PM.
MountainMan (04-04-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bdholsin
If I'm interpreting you correctly, are you saying that my starter might be going bad?

I took the mass air flow sensor out and squirted starting fluid into the intake as my sub cranked...she fired but didn't run...just caught and died! This means I'm not getting an injector pulse. Right? So, if the starter is going bad and sucking voltage as I crank, this would result in a low voltage situation and not enable the injectors. Right?

I hope I'm understanding the setup now.
Yes , the solenoid

The starter motor could be shorting out as a possibly , but on mine I find with the pigtail removed I have the 1 ohm short to case ground

In my judgement I can see a 30 ohm resistance if it reads though one of the 2 coils in the solenoid . This as a design would be an engineering compromise to make the assembly work and maybe 95 % of the current goes down the pigtail for starter rotation

This case ground eventually goes down the large engine ground strap

This ground strap is good to clean for other engine regulation issues , so no wasted effort

If you put your finger on the large # 5 ECU controlled relay , do you feel it click that it's getting the close command , this power sitting on the injectors at all time and the ECU providing a very precise timed ground so current flow through the injector for fuel spit

on mine the relay control wire was nicked and insulation removed

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 04-02-2019 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:46 AM

CSI / X300

There was the case where someone found something messed up in the OBD 2 connector

The fuse # 10 is the " control " power to close both fuel pump relays to allow " power " from a different fuse to power the pumps

The ECU provides a ground to command the relay closed

If it was a data bus wire that was data corrupted I can see how this could interfere with the fuel pump relay enable in the ECU

Does the # 1 pump run with the reader in the OBD 2 port ?

notice the control power for the relay goes through the BT4 connector above the fuel tank in the trunk , this connector can come loose if the lock over bar is not tywrapped closed

I struggle with electrical diagrams so I'll be asking incredibly stupid questions. You've exceeded my ability to figure out what I need to look at. LOL

In your diagram I see what you're showing me on the BT4-31 connector. What I am not so sure of is what it physically looks like. Could you guide me a little bit? This is a huge liability with me...correlating the electrical diagram to the real world/physical part. I *think* you are showing me that from the #10 fuse (the 5 amp one), I need to follow the WK wire to the BT4-31 connector.

I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Don B
I do think this was just a coincidence. From what I know of the Roadi scanner, it is a conventional generic OBDII DTC reader and not a bi-directional diagnostic tool capable of changing settings in vehicle ECUs.

The "Fuel Ready" you noticed was probably a reference to the Fuel System Continuous Monitor, which is one of the monitors that is always ready, unlike the Non-Continuous Monitors.

I agree with Parker that your cranking voltage is far too low - maybe when it started it happened to surge enough for the ECM to trigger ignition and fuel. It is quite common for batteries to lose their cranking amp capacity over time, especially if they've been deeply discharged.

Have you cleaned your battery power connections and ground points, including the engine ground strap Parker mentioned? Corrosion at those connections adds cumulative resistance that can pull down your cranking voltage. It may do little good to just tighten the nuts and bolts if you haven't disassembled them and cleaned the studs, bolts nuts washers and eyelet terminals on the wires with a small wire brush and zero-residue electronic cleaner.

Cheers,

Don
Don, yep. Actually, it's a brand new battery that the previous owner put in just a couple weeks ago.

I did remove and clean the ground strap.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:46 PM

I'm not seeing the BT4-3 connector. Is it below all this?

Old 04-03-2019, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

Can we just step back for a minute and think.

Did you check the voltage that you have at each of the engine bay power fuse box studs? What is that showing there compared to the voltage at the battery?

You said you checked the ground strap but did you also check the +ve studs on the firewall for corrosion/tightness?

It's important to confirm that you have good connections all the way from the battery to the engine bay and there are no high resistance connections.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:53 PM

Did you check the voltage that you have at each of the engine bay power fuse box studs? What is that showing there compared to the voltage at the battery?

You said you checked the ground strap but did you also check the +ve studs on the firewall for corrosion/tightness?

It's important to confirm that you have good connections all the way from the battery to the engine bay and there are no high resistance connections.
Nothing wrong with double checking those. I'll do that again.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:35 PM

The voltage readings are each of the fuse locations are within 0.2 volts of each other. I'm getting 13.2ish volts without load and 11.2ish while cranking.

I also loosened, cleaned and tightened the positive battery points under the hood at each fuse box. I used a brass brush and electric cleaner.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:18 PM

One other thing that I tried...I put my booster on the battery and attempted to start. Same result.

Don B (04-04-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member

The BT4 connector is the 48 + 6 position connector above the fuel tank

This connector contains the wire between the Security modual and the BPM to enable starter relay to close

You have this as enabled

It also contains the wire from the fuse # 10 to the fuel pump relay in position 31

This type of connector is used in at least 4 other areas on the car including the LS3 and RS3 connectors in the front well wells

In the BT4 position it can be tricky to reconnect properly and make all the pins connect as well as the locking pins to hold it together

There is sheet metal in the way from bringing together and if you try too hard you can break the locking pins

Long day and will regroup in the morning

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 04-03-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Hunting down a mysterious no-start situation? My 1995 XJR had a bad story which I wish to share with you. Eventually the ultimate cause was a loose cable connection, as shown above in Parker's diagram above - the lock pin broke when trying to remove the fuel tank. This went unnoticed so contact, power and signals were unstable.

Lady Penelope (04-04-2019)

Quick Reply: 1996 Jaguar XJ6 cranks but wont start