XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

4L80E Transmission Wiring Harness / Loom Question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 01:29 PM
Z55
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 4L80E Transmission Wiring Harness / Loom Question?

Gooday Gentleman,

I would like to know if there are any trick(s) in removing the the 12 Pin Round Plug (external) that connect directly to the transmission .., it is very tight and I do not want to put too much force on it thus potentially breaking the plug! Dont think they are readily available over here? looks like I can remove it without having to drop the pan just a tight squeeze ..,

Also if I want to buy a new plug where would I be able to source such an plug and what would the correct description be as to make 100% its the correct 12 pin plug - looks like only the X306 / XJR6 use these plugs going into the tranny.

I had this transmission harness done professionally (30 year experienced Transmission Shop) about 4000km ago.

My Jag went into Limp Mode last week - after pulling codes this time it gave me P0753 (Shift Solenoid A Electrical) and P0758 (Shift Solenoid B Electrical). Different codes than the previous time I had to do the harness.

After wiggling the harness the Transmission light went away and my car shifted perfectly but returned after about 10 min drive .., had a look under the car and saw 2/3 wires that were frayed and when gently poking around to separate the wires one even came loose from the plug .., it seems like the Shop haven't done what I asked for and or what I paid for as the wires looks very weathered / old and finicky.

Also noticed that the Heat Shrink / tubing around the 12 Pin plug wasn't put back after been removed - so exposed to the exhaust heat and other elements? could this actually contribute to the quick weathering of the said wires or does it not have any real purpose. Luckily for me it was very quick to diagnose where the problem lies without all the protection around the plug.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I really don't want to deal with this issue again ..,

Regards.

Old 07-25-2023, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 884 Likes on 734 Posts

The other transmission used on the normally aspirated model is German ZF brand . It has referred to as a Duetsch ( SP ? ) plug that first must be pushed aft about 1 / 8 inch to unlock and only then turn

You can put tie wraps on the connector barrel to turn as it has little clearance for a set of connector pliers

This may help with your General Motors transmission

This pic is from a ZF transmission on the control connector

Last edited by Parker 7; 07-25-2023 at 04:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Z55 (07-26-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 02:04 AM
Z55
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Parker,

Yes I saw that another member used the Cable Ties technique .., will give it a go and see.

Tight space to work around though.

Maybe stupid question but how important is the protective rubber Housing around the plug as mine was cut away but never replaced and or covered again? Made for very easy fault finding though as otherwise would have been hidden .., (pls see picture attached).

Do you maybe know where I could find such an plug if needed?

It seems there is plenty of slack in the wiring harness so not sure why some of the wires looks so frayed?

I also noticed like many other XJR6 owners that there is plenty of vertical movement from the Transmission / Transmission Mount (which I replaced a few years back). AL Roethlisberger posted a clip on Youtube also not sure if its correct to have that much up and down movement? Mine looks very similar to his .., I have no Horizontal play around the Tranny Mount though. Maybe all the up and down movement could have frayed the wires but after only about 4000 km is a bit hard to believe?

Regards.