XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

95 XJ6 locks not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 12:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 95 XJ6 locks not working

My door locks, gas cap, are not locking/unlocking automatically. I have to lock/unlock them by hand.. I've checked fuses, they are good. Any suggestions..? Is there a module for the locks..?

Last edited by GGG; 12-13-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:54 AM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

What do you mean by "automatically" -- like when you turn the key on the door (or press the remote fob button) then not all doors lock?

Is there any chirp from the alarm system after turning the key to lock the door?

Sometimes my steering column lock cylinder does not "pop" when taking the key out - so it "thinks" the key is still in the car.

This causes odd (or at least unexpected to me) behavior on mine, such as it will lock the door, but the alarm system does not chirp back the "locked" signal.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by smartobject
What do you mean by "automatically" -- like when you turn the key on the door (or press the remote fob button) then not all doors lock?

Is there any chirp from the alarm system after turning the key to lock the door?

Sometimes my steering column lock cylinder does not "pop" when taking the key out - so it "thinks" the key is still in the car.

This causes odd (or at least unexpected to me) behavior on mine, such as it will lock the door, but the alarm system does not chirp back the "locked" signal.
Thnx, the alarm works properly. It's just that the locks do not lock or unlock in unison. I have to lock/unlock them by hand when inside the car. If I use my key in the driver's door it only unlocks the driver's door, none of the others...

Old 12-12-2015, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

If you use the drivers inside door handle will it unlock all the other doors?

Old 12-12-2015, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by EZDriver
If you use the drivers inside door handle will it unlock all the other doors?
Unfortunately that doesn't work either. It seems to me the locks have no power going to them or something.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:57 AM
Received 91 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm having the same issue. can't seem to figure it out.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by smgdata
I'm having the same issue. can't seem to figure it out.
There has to be a simple solution out there.. I figure if I can get some power ran to them it might do the trick. I did that with my seats and interior lights to get them to work.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:32 PM

yeah. I'm stumped.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by goodgame
There has to be a simple solution out there.. I figure if I can get some power ran to them it might do the trick. I did that with my seats and interior lights to get them to work.
If a solution comes up I'll be sure to let you know as well

The following users liked this post:
smgdata (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Security module springs to mind. I believe it's in the trunk. I will have to dig out the drawings and have a look.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Same problem with my recent $200 acquisition:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-x300s-154657/

In my case, the security module is "floating" on the left side of the boot, near the hinge. If anyone has a pic or drawing of its proper mounting, please post. Based on wireloom length, it has to mount somewhere nearby. Probably shown in elect guide but I'm not that motivated yet...

Last edited by aholbro1; 12-18-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by jimbov8
Security module springs to mind. I believe it's in the trunk. I will have to dig out the drawings and have a look.
OK thanks.. Could that still be the problem if all the other security features seem to be working.. And if that module were swapped put would there have to be any reprogramming of sorts involved..?

Old 12-18-2015, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

As I say, I need to look at the electrical schematics to see how it is all connected. Not sure though on whether a replacement module would require programming.

It could also be a door switch sticking, door module, relay or many other things. It may take a little time to track it down

Old 12-18-2015, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

The most common failure for door locking is the micro switch in the drivers door lock.

Locks can be be locked/unlocked from the button on the centre console. They can also be unlocked by operating the passenger inside handle awell as the driver handle.

So if everything works apart from operating from the driver door that would suggest the micro switch.

If the locking functionality does not work from any of the above that would point me at the module for more specific testing with a meter and the Electrical Guide at my side.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:06 PM

yeah. mine doesn't work from anything. no button or trunk switch/key etc..
one thing I did notice is that the driver door lock if I lift or push the lock in/out. I can hear something in the door very faintly.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:26 PM

As I say, I need to look at the electrical schematics to see how it is all connected. Not sure though on whether a replacement module would require programming.

It could also be a door switch sticking, door module, relay or many other things. It may take a little time to track it down
OK, And once again thanks.. Sounds like I may have to leave this one up to the shop.. I will try swapping that module out first tho..

Old 12-19-2015, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member

There are 3 relays in the left hand heel board under the back seat that control door locking and unlocking.

All locking protocols go through the security module so may also be an idea to check the connections for cleanliness.

The security module is mounted to the left of the left hand hinge in the trunk.

As has been said, when you have checked the above and you still have the same problem then your most likely cause will be a micro switch within the door mechanism itself.

Hope this helps you out.

Jim.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:00 PM

There are 3 relays in the left hand heel board under the back seat that control door locking and unlocking.

All locking protocols go through the security module so may also be an idea to check the connections for cleanliness.

The security module is mounted to the left of the left hand hinge in the trunk.

As has been said, when you have checked the above and you still have the same problem then your most likely cause will be a micro switch within the door mechanism itself.

Hope this helps you out.

Jim.
OK, Thanks Jim.. I'll give all of those a try.. Starting with the relays.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:57 PM

I will switch out my security module

Old 12-20-2015, 12:55 AM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Could it be that one of the latches has something loose and it thinks the door is being opened?

I know this does not match your symptoms of everything being "dead" but mine is acting strange after I put my drivers (left) door latch back together last week.

Now, sometimes when I get in, start up and put the shifter in gear, the doors lock, but then immediately unlock and the interior lights come on, as if the door latch opened.

If I press the lock button on the dash, they lock but then all pop backup,

It does not regain normal behavior until after I close the door with a bit more than normal force -- ostensibly shaking things back into correctness?

I say all this to make the point (that I think others made already) that if there is a microswitch malfunctioning or wire loose then that will affect things.

Taking the doors apart is a (moderately) huge undertaking to me, but you might consider unplugging each latch and see if the the other ones still plugged in regain their automatic behavior,

I think I've read that if the latch is unplugged, then the computer thinks its in the locked position?

Quick Reply: 95 XJ6 locks not working