XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

97 XJ6 Shock Absorbers

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 02:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 97 XJ6 Shock Absorbers

My car will be 15 years old in November so I don't push it that hard. Which aftermarket shock has the closest characteristics to the OEM?

I am mostly happy with the ride and handling I have now, but the bushes are worn in the front and if the shocks have to come off I may as well replace the shocks.

I have been told to use KYB KG4730 Gas-A-Just Shock Absorber. They are less than $60 each and reviews say they handle well, but what about the ride?

The Bilstein are only about $ 25 more per but have a lifetime guarantee.Bilstein F4-B36-1861-H0 Mono-Tube Gas Pressure Shock Absorber.

Changing the front shocks can make a difference, I am used to a smooth and composed ride. The main reason I bought the XJ6 was that it was RWD and had the best combination of ride and handling. No other cars out there even come close to a Jaguar XJ in ride and handling.

Anybody have experience with either of the above shocks?

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 08-05-2011, 03:20 AM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I think most will recommend the Bilsteins. I've heard from US Jaguar people that Bilstein can rebuild your original shockers to your spec. No idea of the price. I have been told they replace the bush too.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

+1 on Bilstein.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-05-2011, 06:37 AM
Received 10,296 Likes on 6,814 Posts

MY OPINION

We have Monroe, Gabriel, KYB, Boge, Bilstien (if you hunt them out), all readily available down here.

I use Gabriel on the earlier Jags, BUT, my X300 is the same age, and common sense also says time to replace, and I will be using Bilstiens, NO DISCUSSIONS.

Price is of very little concern due to the fact that if you get it WRONG, you buy 4 more shocks, and pay the labour (even if you do it) twice. The fronts no big deal to swap, but the rears, AGHHHHHH. Plus the fact I am getting tooooo old for doing that sort of job anymore times than really required.

The following users liked this post:
panagiotis (09-03-2014)
Old 08-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

+1 Bilstein

Old 08-06-2011, 04:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I do have Monroe on I rear shocks , actually better than I thought but I would vote for Bilstein though , may be it could be stiffer than Monroes , don't know for sure

Old 08-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

KYB is as stiff as XJR's sport shock, so you will not like it.
Bilstein OEM is also a little harder than the genuine one. I have experienced both, and I found the difference in those two.
If you can invest more, I strongly recommend KONI.
It can cover Jaguar's lack of stroke, for it has double tube. Most shocks nowadays are made with single tube but double one will give you the longer stroke, which means it will give you more comfort ride.

Anyways, when you choose from Bil and KYB, I recommend Bil.

The following users liked this post:
plums (10-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

For fun, I checked RockAuto ... they have Monroe's for $150+ (USD) and Boge (which I've never heard of) just over $100, and KYB for just under $100.

I then checked my local independent "British" parts (new and used) house. They sell Bilstein's (front $120+), KYB (fr $90+, rr $120+), and "OEM" ft $130+ and rear $170+.

Anyone know who manufactures the OEM's ?

Old 08-07-2011, 05:43 AM
Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Mainly the cheap OEMs for X300 are BOGE's, which is a brand of ZF, it is like a second line of SACHS.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

For some reason, apparently wrong, I was always under the impression that OEM for all X300s was Bilstein. <shrug>

Boge has been around for ages and was indeed OEM on many Jags. Boge seems to suffer quality lapses, though. I know owners of older Jags seek out German made Boge shocks versus those made in Turkey...the latter being considered lower grade and not lasting anywhere near as long. I've ordered a number of Boge shocks from different suppliers and sometimes they come in a Sachs box. It's hard to know what you're buying these days what with all the "label engineering" .

I once had KYBs on a Jag. I'd say they were unremarkable. Later I found out that, for most cars, KYB has several different offerings with an expected spread in pricing. So, as with tires, judgements based simply on brand name alone might not always be accurate.

I've never heard or read a mixed or vague review of Bilstein, Koni, or Spax, though. perhaps that says something?

Cheers
DD

Old 08-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Default X300 shocks

Originally Posted by Doug
I once had KYBs on a Jag. I'd say they were unremarkable. Later I found out that, for most cars, KYB has several different offerings with an expected spread in pricing. So, as with tires, judgements based simply on brand name alone might not always be accurate.

Cheers
DD
The specific model that was recommended was the KYB KG4730 Gas-A-Just Shock Absorber. KYB and several search engines list the KG4730 as the OEM replacement.

You can get that model from Tire Rack which lists it as a premium shock for $59 each. Here in Canada the local shop quoted me $148 each for the same thing. That is a 150% mark-up so even with shipping, duty and brokerage the same shocks are just over half the price from Tire Rack.

In Canada we typically get screwed over completely on anything automotive. Car parts go through multiple levels in the distribution channel, each level adding a mark-up.

To make matters worse, the installers think they should get 40+% retail mark-ups on the parts that the get from their jobbers that day. It's not like they have to inventory the parts.

In many cases these are the exact same part from the very same factory and yet these parts are sold for 100-150% higher in Canada.

The bottom line for me is that I only want to replace these once and if the KYB Gas-A-Just is too stiff I will not be happy. My understanding is that Bilstein is typically stiffer than KYB, so I would like that even less.

I am going to find out what the Jaguar dealer considers OEM replacement shocks and what they charge.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:21 AM
Default Jaguar dealer says

FYI.

The local dealer has two models of shock that they consider OEM for a 97 Jaguar XJ6.

They have "Sport" and "Comfort", no brand name was given just a part number. I was quoted $ 413 each for the Comfort and the person on the phone said there were no other options.

I don't think I will go the dealer route for shocks.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

The Bilstein number you mentioned is described as a "touring" shock on at least a couple vendor web sites. That says "soft ride" to me.

I *think* Bilstein has a web page with a listing of all their part numbers and a tutorial of what the part numbers mean and what the characteristics are of each shock. This info would be helpful since they have so many diffeent offerings for Jags. Vendor descriptions are vague.

You *could* just keep your existing shocks and replace only the bushings.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

If I were you I would take a drive to the US and buy the shocks and install them here (thus no price gouging,and no buty or brokage fees)

Old 08-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Default X300 shocks

The Bilstein number you mentioned is described as a "touring" shock on at least a couple vendor web sites. That says "soft ride" to me.

I *think* Bilstein has a web page with a listing of all their part numbers and a tutorial of what the part numbers mean and what the characteristics are of each shock. This info would be helpful since they have so many different offerings for Jags. Vendor descriptions are vague.

You *could* just keep your existing shocks and replace only the bushings.

Cheers
DD
I was thinking of just changing the bushings, but wouldn't the labour be close to the same to change the shocks?

Thanks for the Bilstein info, that sounds great. I am more of a touring guy.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Default Canada Customs aka Canada Revenue Agency

Originally Posted by Lumppy47
If I were you I would take a drive to the US and buy the shocks and install them here (thus no price gouging,and no buty or brokage fees)
The True North may be Strong but not so Free. We get screwed and taxed at every opportunity by our system. Canadian business and Canadian governments have a monopoly, but in this country only they win that game.

The underlying sentiment is that we have to pay more because we are only 10% of your size and we have so much more, like air and water, two official languages, no hand guns and universal health care, etc.

In case you were wondering our health care is different from province to province. It is not really free, it's subsidized insurance and maybe not that bad if you don't mind waiting and hoping that you don't die of something before your appointment. We do have the ability to seek out private for hire health care however.

We still have some very specific rules on taxes and our border people have the ability to confiscate your car should you make a mistake. If a Canadian gets work done to their car or boat in the USA, they may be liable to pay tax on the total value of that improved vehicle, not just the value of the parts or service.

On the other hand, there is a 6% duty on auto parts and you can get places like Tire Rack to factor in brokerage for $20. The safest route is to ship the parts to Canada and find an independent mechanic.

Keep in mind that our ancestors didn't rebel about taxation and this is how things evolved here.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Well don't feel too alone, We seem to 'catching up' to you.

bob gauff

Old 08-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Smile

The Bilstein number you mentioned is described as a "touring" shock on at least a couple vendor web sites. That says "soft ride" to me. Cheers
DD
Thanks Doug,

I found them online locally for only $20 each more than in the USA.

Bilstein Touring Class
(B36-1861-H0) Front (24-018616)
$105.00 CAD each.

Even with our HST 12% in BC, in the end I am actually saving $10 and not paying for duty, brokerage or shipping.

I will let you know how they work out.

Last edited by Kevin Burnaby; 03-28-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kevin Burnaby
I was thinking of just changing the bushings, but wouldn't the labour be close to the same to change the shocks?

Sure, but you be saved the torment of choosing replacement shocks :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 02-03-2012, 12:19 PM

I still have the full set of shocks I was planning to put on my VDP before it was wrecked. Good price as I have no use for them. Link

Quick Reply: 97 XJ6 Shock Absorbers