XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

ABS sensor questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default ABS sensor questions

So, after having somewhat sorted out my abs light issue, (1996 x300 4.0l Sovereign) I had a diagnostic done which pointed to a faulty rear rh side ( driver side) sensor. part number LNA 2222 AB. So I took one from my donor car (1997 x300 3.2l Sovereign) but found it to be different. The donor cars' sensor has a shorter, black plastic "probe" with the part number LJA 2226 AA, stamped as an ATE part. Also, the donor car sensor is a separate part to the actual lead and the two parts plug together, whereas, the original is an all in one part, with the lead integral to the sensor itself which is a metallic unit, as opposed to the plastic ATE part.

Now it gets interesting! I got an original replacement on ebay, advertised as a rear passenger side sensor, ( part number LNA 2221 AB) but at £22.00 I took a chance that it would suit the drivers side also. But it is too long/deep and hits the reluctor ring long before it seats itself into the hole. There is no way it will work.

So, are the two rear sensors such different lengths to each other?

Did the sensors change from year 96 to 97?

Has anybody had their sensors out recently and if so, what type are they, relevant to year model?

Tomorrow I will take the rear passenger side sensor out and take a look see at what's what.

Any thoughts, opinions, info etc. greatly appreciated.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by sogood
So, after having somewhat sorted out my abs light issue, (1996 x300 4.0l Sovereign) I had a diagnostic done which pointed to a faulty rear rh side ( driver side) sensor. part number LNA 2222 AB. So I took one from my donor car (1997 x300 3.2l Sovereign) but found it to be different. The donor cars' sensor has a shorter, black plastic "probe" with the part number LJA 2226 AA, stamped as an ATE part. Also, the donor car sensor is a separate part to the actual lead and the two parts plug together, whereas, the original is an all in one part, with the lead integral to the sensor itself which is a metallic unit, as opposed to the plastic ATE part.

Now it gets interesting! I got an original replacement on ebay, advertised as a rear passenger side sensor, ( part number LNA 2221 AB) but at £22.00 I took a chance that it would suit the drivers side also. But it is too long/deep and hits the reluctor ring long before it seats itself into the hole. There is no way it will work.

So, are the two rear sensors such different lengths to each other?

Did the sensors change from year 96 to 97?

Has anybody had their sensors out recently and if so, what type are they, relevant to year model?

Tomorrow I will take the rear passenger side sensor out and take a look see at what's what.

Any thoughts, opinions, info etc. greatly appreciated.

Since posting the above, a bit of googling seems to confirm that the plastic sensor ( LJA 2226 AA ) does indeed seem to apply to cars from 1997 onwards, which makes sense of what I've found. So that just leaves the question of the length of the sensor. So who ever said that size doesn't matter?

Old 02-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

I haven't looked at the sensors in my 6 yet, but I did go through a problem solving session on my XK8. Have you tried swapping the left and right sensors to see if the error moves? Just to be sure it's not a broken cable.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by RJ237
I haven't looked at the sensors in my 6 yet, but I did go through a problem solving session on my XK8. Have you tried swapping the left and right sensors to see if the error moves? Just to be sure it's not a broken cable.
No, I haven't done that but it occurred to me as a possible route to go. I have the details of whats what with regard to testing the sensors, so I might dust off the multimeter and see if everything checks out as it should. I will also see if the "too long"" sensor fits in the passenger side, where it's supposed to go!

Why does a car run totally trouble free and then throw a hissy just days before its' annual inspection? Had it lasted just a few days longer, I could have lived with it and sorted it out at my leisure. The ABS itself is working fine, just a dodgy sensor, which is an automatic fail when tested!

Thanks for the input and watch this space.