XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Adjusting Timing Chain Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Adjusting Timing Chain Tensioner

During cold start up and revving at around the 1200-1400rpm range there is a vibrating sound. I've been told the basics of how to adjust it but I don't want to just go and try to adjust it without details on how to do it. If someone would be able give me some directions on how to adjust it to get rid of that issue, that'd be great. Thanks!

Old 09-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Received 10,286 Likes on 6,807 Posts

There is NO adjustment for the AJ16 timing chain.

The top tensioner, the one in the cylinder head RHF corner, is well documented as failing with age, and even the "new update" versions fail.

The "rattle" you hear will possibly be the top tensioner, or some of the internal blades and guides have worn to a noise making point now, as did mine.

Vibration, NO. That sounds more like the front crankshaft pulley is delaminating (age thing again), which will also make a rattle when it gets bad enough.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:19 PM

Oh wow. How would I go about replacing those since I'm not sure if the previous ever replaced them and I think now is the time to do that

Old 09-27-2013, 02:41 AM

OK, firstly, they are NOT a real wear issue, UNLESS, the PO has used crappy oil, and/or been slack with changes, as with mine.

Your mileage is unknown at the moment, but at about 100k miles some wear will be evident, NORMAL, but that is all.

The top tensioner is removed from teh outside, and simple in any language.

The lower, intermediate, etc are ALL timing cover off, so a BIG task in any language. Definately a DIY, if you are competent and have at least some common sense. NO doubting anyones ability here, just stating the facts from downunder.

I would firstly replace the top unit, and see what happens. In most cases it shuts them up significantly.

Mine was still a tad noisier than I wanted, so I went further, and found all the signs of "el-cheapo" oil and more wear in the blades than I liked at 140K kms, and the damper for the oil pump chain was waaaaaaay off the mark, thus also confirming that "some clown has been here before". I went overboard in some peoples opinion and replaced ALL the dampers/guides/chains/etc. Now at 209K kms, SILENT, and I run 10W/30 Synthetic oil all year round, and it is changed every 6 months no matter how many/few kms it travels.

Above all, do not panic, these engines are TUFF, and 500K kms is about "normal". Mine is the mighty 3.2Ltr, and it is awesome in my opinion.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 09-27-2013 at 02:44 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
OK, firstly, they are NOT a real wear issue, UNLESS, the PO has used crappy oil, and/or been slack with changes, as with mine.

Your mileage is unknown at the moment, but at about 100k miles some wear will be evident, NORMAL, but that is all.

The top tensioner is removed from teh outside, and simple in any language.

The lower, intermediate, etc are ALL timing cover off, so a BIG task in any language. Definately a DIY, if you are competent and have at least some common sense. NO doubting anyones ability here, just stating the facts from downunder.

I would firstly replace the top unit, and see what happens. In most cases it shuts them up significantly.

Mine was still a tad noisier than I wanted, so I went further, and found all the signs of "el-cheapo" oil and more wear in the blades than I liked at 140K kms, and the damper for the oil pump chain was waaaaaaay off the mark, thus also confirming that "some clown has been here before". I went overboard in some peoples opinion and replaced ALL the dampers/guides/chains/etc. Now at 209K kms, SILENT, and I run 10W/30 Synthetic oil all year round, and it is changed every 6 months no matter how many/few kms it travels.

Above all, do not panic, these engines are TUFF, and 500K kms is about "normal". Mine is the mighty 3.2Ltr, and it is awesome in my opinion.

Thanks for the information. My car actually hit 135k miles today but would like to make that rattle go away. Like I've said before, I'm not sure if the previous owner has replaced the tensioners so I would like to get started on it.
Would you be able to provide me with detailed information on how to replace the top tensioner and what I need to look out for?

Old 10-01-2013, 07:23 AM

Here ya go.

The bulletin direct from Jaguar.

I have a word paper from when I did mine, but a laptop crash has it in cyberspace at the moment. When I get the time to sort the old unit, and retrieve all that stuff I will repost it, but don't hold your breath, as I am very work tied up for the next 2 months.

AJ16 Timing chain bulletin.pdf

The following users liked this post:
AlbBolivar (10-01-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 04:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've just replaced my upper tensioner and the nasty rattle has gone. One thing I will say is that it's probably a good idea to get the gasket for it too. I didn't, instead using some instant gasket stuff, and now it's dripping oil......

Instructions also say to change the two bolts, but I couldn't find these anywhere.