XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Aftermarket Steering Wheel for X300

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 09:14 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Aftermarket Steering Wheel for X300

Does anyone know anything about replacing an OEM steering wheel ('96 X300) with a sporty wooden type?
Since the original doesn't have any crucial controls on it (I don't consider a horn "crucial". If I have a choice between "horn" and "brakes", I go for the brakes).
I realize this will mean eliminating the airbag but I can live without a bomb exploding in my face under most circumstances. I find it distracting to have something blowing up in my face while I'm trying to drive.
Since it's probably going to throw some sort of code and the state inspection crowd my have an issue with that, I can always pay those guys off.
If I absolutely must, couldn't I stick the OEM one back on and hook up the igniter or shell casing or whatever is in there waiting to embed shards of polarized glass into my corneas?
Since my next inspection is in two years, I would be inclined to burn that bridge when I get to it.
I think it would somewhat attenuate the "Ford LTD-ness" of the interior, visually, at least.
Plus, nothing greets the fingers quite like frozen metal and wood at 4am of a winter morn.
Seriously, though; can this be done?
Who sells a nice wheel with the adapter for a '96 XJ6 ?
I'm willing to meet you half-way and hook up the horn if you insist.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

There is one From a 95 X300 VDP that is half wood if I recall

Don;t recall the condition of the leather but is a tan color and there is a trim color code on the car somewhere to reference the color match

I took the airbag and center cover for mine and is a match for I believe mine is oatmeal color

You can replace the skin with new in this video and others have resurfaced their wood in post links

The airbag is not the manufacture of the defective nature depends how much you value your face and neck

These people ship but not open on weekends

http://avenueautoparts.com/

I would consider putting this the half wood on mine as I like it better and you can deal with me on mine as a all leather unit with good cover and no wear throughs

Avenue Auto Wrecking

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 11-07-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Still laughing about the "Ford LTD-ness" of the steering wheel. I don't see any Growler on any LTD steering wheel!

Just down below a user was looking for a hub adapter and this was my reply:
I would suggest asking in the XJ-S (X27) section, as I believe that practice is more common there. I can't recall any regular users in this section that have changed steering wheels, other than to change to a different color (or woodgrain) with the same type of wheel. I do recall seeing a 1994 XJS with a Momo steering wheel. But again I don't know if that adapter would fit the XJ6 steering column.

We didn't hear back from that poster, although he said he couldn't find an adapter. So it may be up to you, Jimi. Or just change to the "Ford LTD" steering wheel with the woodgrain, which is quite nice actually. One less thing you'll have to "undo" before next inspection. Bridges left un-burned!

Without the airbag hooked up and working properly, you will have to view "AIRBAG" on the odometer all the time. But remember it's not you, it's the car.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Jimi,

I recently changed the steeringwheel on my X300 -95 with a Wood/leather-SW from a X308 that was in the junkyard. It happened to be the same colour so I felt lucky.
But, the SW from the 308 is "deeper" that the original which meant I could not refit the old centerhub (containing the airbag)..
Also that 308 has a different connector.
I´m thinking of buying a resistance to try and fool the system into believing the airbag is connected.
I´m not shure yet how many ohms. Any ideas on this anyone?

/Olle

The following users liked this post:
someguywithajag (12-20-2020)
Old 04-01-2019, 05:20 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimi Shelter
Does anyone know anything about replacing an OEM steering wheel ('96 X300) with a sporty wooden type?
I don't consider a horn "crucial".
Wouldn't you need a horn to pass any inspections?

Old 04-01-2019, 08:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the centerhub for the "new" steeringwheel but the airbag is blown so its not looking great (but the horn works)

Old 04-01-2019, 11:47 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The following users liked this post:
someguywithajag (07-19-2020)