XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Air Con Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 06:39 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Air Con Compressor

When I got my X300 there was a slight rattle from the front of the engine not near the timming belt. It turned out the air con compressor was the dodgy part. I had a garage do a service on the car when I got it due to lack of time on my behalf and that was what was diagnosed.
For a quick fix they removed the belt to get rid of the rattle which was annoying.

Ive now sourced a company that can recondition the ACC the company offer a 12mth warranty and quote:

"All our compressors are stripped, checked internally and nitrogen pressure tested to ensure you the customer only receive the highest quality used compressor"

My question is while changing, should I change any other parts around it?

I know you need a special oil for the ACC

But any tips appreciated from the guys who have done the job welcome.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Oil is circulated in suspension in the working fluid, R134a in this case. When at rest, as yours has been, it will pool in the compressor and in the Rec/drier or suction accumulator depending on system type. (Ashamedly admitting) mine has worked so well since purchase in August I haven't even bothered to look close enough to determine whether it is CCOT or TXV system. I KNOW I saw a TXV (thermal expansion valve) which means rec/drier on ONE of the Jags I maintain..but can't recall if S type or VDP or both. Anyhow, either of those it has will also contain dessicant and should probably be replaced, certainly if your system is open for some days whilst comp is repaired. Best to pull a vacuum and seal the system while it's off but I realize that is not always feasible. At least cap your lines that attach to the comp. while it is off with some kind of air-tight caps. Back to the oil...make sure you determine if the rebuild shop ships compressor back dry or with an oil charge. In the end, you need somewhere close to the specified oil amount in the system when you put it all back together. You can count on a few ounces being distributed throughout system on inside of lines and cond/evap surfaces, but add the rest to compressor or Rec/drier on installation. Sorry, don't know offhand what the spec oil capacity is, but it should be on the a/c label under the hood somewhere. Lotsa folks change TXV as a matter of course but I think it's largely because the system needed a vacuum and recharge...but no warranty code for that, so, in process of R&R TXV, you also vacuum and recharge, so system works great going out the door.....if it is cheap and accessible, you may want to consider it.

"Rattle" sounds foreboding, possible compressor metallic particles distributed throughout your system, lying in wait to attack new compressor and/or TXV. I don't like the idea of cutting a hose and using nipples/clamps but perhaps better than nothing...there are in-line filter kits available for this eventuality. Maybe the comp rebuilders can advise you if it was coming apart internally before you take that step?

The following users liked this post:
Car-Nut (02-02-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

ACTUALLY IVE NEVER SEEN 1 OF THOSE COMPRESSOR GRENADE. I STILL HAVE MYU ORIGINAL AT 136K AND 15 YRS OLD, BUT iVE REPLACED THE DRIER AND YOU SHOULD TOO CAUS EWITH AGE THE DESICANT BAG COMES APART AND PLUGS THE SYSTEM. ITS IN FRONT BEHIND THE GRILL. I WOULD ALSO REPLACE THE BELT AND IDLER PULLEY, THE PULLEY IS PLASTIC AND THE BELT WEARS INTO VERY QUICKLY. IM ON TH 3RD. THE SYSTEM USES AN EXPANSION VALVE ON THE FIREWALL WHERE THE AC LINES GO IN.
ONLY IF THE SYSTEM SHOWS TRASH FROM THE COMPRESSOR WOULD I WORRY, IF SO THEN FLUSH THE SYSTEM AS BEST AS POSSIBLE AND THERE ARE MANY INLINE FILTER TO INSTALL IN THE LOW SIDE BEFORE THE COMPRESSOR TO STOP DEBRIS. IF YOU ASK OR SAY ANYTHING TO THE COMPANY REBUILDING IT, THEY MAY JUST MARK YOU AS NO WARRANTY IF YOU BRING IT UP

The following users liked this post:
Car-Nut (02-02-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 12:48 PM

Brutal,

"Thanks" for both your comprehensive replies

Im sure the garage mentioned i should change some pullys \ tensioners at the same time

Or am I confusing this with something else they told me

New to X300 so your help and patience appreciated.

Last edited by Car-Nut; 02-02-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my A/C compressor just locked up today, and there seemed to be a trail of oil that leaked out of the front of the compressor and congealed on its way out. I heard the clutch wobbling around and pulled it off, and the compressor shaft is all 32 flavours of seized to hell & back. soooo I'm looking for a compressor too. :/

Old 02-16-2011, 03:28 AM

Excuse my ignorance, but if the ACC is seized can it be refurbed or at that stage is it past it...

Old 02-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it probably could, but I wouldn't want to; I'd prefer to just go with a new one.