XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Annoying Sound in Dash.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:49 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Annoying Sound in Dash.

Hello everyone,

I have this annoying sound which I believe is inside my middle AC VENTS, whenever I'm on a bumping road or hitting a bump or just driving I hear this tiny noise like a little plastic pieces is jumping around or someone put sand in there lol. It's really killing my mood when I want to drive with peace and quiet. Does it have to do with my ac pressure or is there an actual loose piece in there? I don't want to attempt to take it apart. Anyone dealt with this? Please help.

PS my sunroof just crapped out on me. Won't slide back anymore.

135k miles

Old 07-21-2013, 03:01 AM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Hi,

The sound you are experiencing ;

- Like there is sand in the dash?
- Hard sound or low sound?
- Cracking sound or rattling sound?
- Experience it while having a/c on or off?

I have experienced sort of same actually in my car. When I start the car in the morning and drive off, the first couple of seconds its like I hear sand cracking under the dashboard, very low sound. I don't hear it anymore after less then 1 mile drive.

Another sound I experience is from the middle vents when I have the AC on, its like a very soft rattling sound coming from the AC compressor. Specially when I step on the gaspedal I hear fluctuating noises coming from the vents. I don't hear the sound when I pop the hood and listen to the compressor there. Everything seems fine.

About your sunroof ;

I believe there are some things to do first. Check the fuse at the heel board (right heel board, I believe its No.15 don't pin me on that tho)
When the fuse is alright, there must be a problem somewhere else.

This can be, the roof motor, the control module, wiring, the rails.

Be sure to clean the sliding mechanism inside so there are no bumps and stops.

I believe every car with a sunroof came initially with a key to open/close it manually.

Let us know how it goes! xD

Goodluck

Old 07-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Have you read this post????

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-clips-98874/

bob gauff

Old 07-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks for showing but the clips are fine.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:18 PM
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

When I got my 95 X300 I it had a rattle. It was driving me crazy. I couldn't get a bead on where it was coming from; the vents, inside the dash, the overhead? Finally while driving down a rough road I jammed my fingers down into the area where the top of the dash meets the windshield. When I reached over & did it in front of the passenger seat the rattle stopped. What I found was that side of the dash pad had come un-glued to whatever it was glued to in the factory & it was buzzing against the windshield.
I found a small tube of clear silicone caulking with a long thin spout. It needs to be long to fit down into the tight angle formed by the windshield & the dash. A standard tube of caulking doesn't work because the diameter of the caulking tube is too large to get the nozzle point down to the apex of the angle.
I carefully slid a 1/8" thick stick ahead of the tube nozzle point & I put a smooth bead bout 1/8" in diameter in the space created by the stick. Before it cured I wiped off the mistakes. You end up with the dash top glued to the bottom edge of the windshield but it is virtually invisible. Fixed!

Old 07-22-2013, 04:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

This has to be a somewhat common problem as my dash seems to make the same noise from the same spot.

I took a piece of felt—sort of like those bumper pieces you put on cabinet doors so they don't slam—and wedged it back into the space between the AC vents and the AC/radio panel (if that makes sense). It serves the same purpose really, pushing the dash up a bit. So far so good.

Also, my sunroof ... ugh. Sunroofs never seem to work like they should. Their a pain in the ***.