XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Another cutting out Prob - No consistency

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another cutting out Prob - No consistency

I own a Turqoise XJ6 3.2 Sport Auto (N Reg) After having a fan belt snap on me and having the belts replaced, I know have an inconsistent cutting out problem which sometimes stops me trying to start the car. Can anyone help?

1. Sometimes I try and start the car. I get ignition lights etc, but the car doesn't turn over.

2. The car eventually turns over but won't fire.

3. Wether the car is at a stand still, being driven soft or hard - it just cuts out. If you knock it into N and turn the Key it will restart unless problem 1 kicks in.

Any help with this would be appreciated as it is now causing much stress and frustration. I no longer feel confident to take the car on the road.

Forgot to mention, I have a small powersteering leak coming from the pipe that goes into the front of the rad on the drivers side. It seems to be a sealed pipe. Any views?

Many Thanks

Drew

Old 08-18-2010, 04:10 AM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

The "snapped belt" MAY have smacked the crank angle sensor, OK, but that would have NOTHING to do with the "no turn over" issue you get.

No crank (turnover) may be the "neutral start switch" on the gearlever assembly, never gone there on mine, but it will not be rocket science. That will kill the starter motor circuit if it does not do what it should, as designed. If the system thinks it is not in "P" or"N" the starter will not crank.

The "crank and no start" is possibly the crank angle sensor as a result of said belt.

Of course the whole thing could be a failing ignition switch electrical section, as with our older Jaguars, again, never gone there on mine, but it also will be simple enough to sort/replace, and these switches are not designed to last forever.

As a side note, it may pay to add to your signature the actual year model of your X300, coz we mere mortals have NO idea what a "N regitered" car is, specially us downunder dwellers. I know it is a UK code for year model, but I have never worked out the code, dunno.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, Should have mentioned that it was a 1995 Model year.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine wouldn't start when I turned the key because the shifter cable needed to be adjusted. A slight vibration might be moving the shifter to cause the issue. Try recreating it by starting the car and wiggle the shifter in gear. I would apply the brakes too. See if you can reproduce 1 and 3. I started noticing it when the shifter indicator light wasn't coming on. Turn the key and nothing would happen.