XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Battery Already Dead

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Battery Already Dead

Just bought a brand NEW battery from auto zone for my Jaguar XJ6 1995 and it's been 2 days since I bought it and it's already dead, car won't start, I changed the alternator and bought a new one so it can't be the alternator, have no clue what the problem is, Any Fixes/Ideas?

Old 09-21-2016, 11:41 PM
cds
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Check your firewall/bulkhead powerstud

Originally Posted by Jorge Dias
Just bought a brand NEW battery from auto zone for my Jaguar XJ6 1995 and it's been 2 days since I bought it and it's already dead, car won't start, I changed the alternator and bought a new one so it can't be the alternator, have no clue what the problem is, Any Fixes/Ideas?
It's on the passenger side behind the exhaust, it will melt due to the heat of the exhaust and then cause a short draining the voltage from your system.

Mine had a rubber cover which looked fine, but the insulating spacer on the body/chassis had melted.

If u took your alternator to autozone did it test ok?

Mine did and I replaced it anyway, now I'm replacing the rebuilt autozone replacement every year :-/

Old 09-22-2016, 01:50 AM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

You should recharge the battery asap because leaving it discharged will cause irreversible damage and you'll need another new one.
I think you need to connect an ammeter in series with one of the battery leads then pull fuses one at a time to identify where the current is going.
There is a risk that the current will be so great that the meter fuse will blow but my bet is that it will be less than half an amp. A couple of hundred mA is enough to drain your battery over a few days.
You could try a clamp meter on the battery lead if you have access to one which will measure DC but my bet is that the current you measure will be too small for that to work.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:55 AM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Jorge Dias
Just bought a brand NEW battery from auto zone for my Jaguar XJ6 1995 and it's been 2 days since I bought it and it's already dead...
I had this once, new battery dead after 2 days. Went back to the shop, replaced it again. Seemed the battery had a defect.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cds
It's on the passenger side behind the exhaust, it will melt due to the heat of the exhaust and then cause a short draining the voltage from your system.

Mine had a rubber cover which looked fine, but the insulating spacer on the body/chassis had melted.

If u took your alternator to autozone did it test ok?

Mine did and I replaced it anyway, now I'm replacing the rebuilt autozone replacement every year :-/
Can't seem to find that part

Old 09-22-2016, 12:21 PM
cds

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...esolved-92738/

check post #6 there is an image, it will probably be covered with a rubber boot.

Are you seeing low voltage on the dashboard meter?

Old 09-24-2016, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Good suggestion, cds. Bad connections can ruin your day!

Jorge: Like Bob (Motorcarman) said in your other thread, it is most likely that your bad (slipping) crank pulley is causing the squealing, and it is also causing the new battery to go dead. A slipping pulley can't turn the alternator belt fast enough to keep the battery charged. Especially at idle, and if the lights and a/c are on.

The alternator is probably not at fault for the dead battery.

So go and mark the pulley (on the metal edge and on the rubberized belt guide), and run the engine for a minute or two. If there is a squeal on start up, the belt guide has already slipped. But any misalignment in those marks after you've run the engine means that the pulley's belt guide is slipping and it will need to be rebuilt.

You must send Dale (or Damper Doctor) your own unit for a rebuild. Don't bother searching for a good used one; they don't exist. It will cost a few hundred in total, but the car is worthless without a good pulley. We just completed this job on my (now my son's) XJ6 in May, and it was easier to do than I thought it would be. There are many forum threads on the subject. Most of these cars have had it done by now.

Incidentally, the thread that cds brought up was mine, and that car was eventually "early retired" in 2014 at 150k. It had this pulley failure, plus a/c failure and many more expensive needs. So I parted it out. The bad pulley can be a deal breaker, but it's a decision you have to make based on your overall value of the car.

Good luck, please keep us informed!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...d-help-169748/

Last edited by SleekJag12; 09-24-2016 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 09-24-2016, 09:38 AM
cds

I didn't realize there was another posting about squealing, (I no longer have an X300, I went back to a S1 XJ6) I just saw this posting on the bottom of the page on the XJ6 page.

There is a possibility it can be the damper delaminating. In my experience with these cars (my 97 XJR, brothers 97 XJ6, 95 XJS, 95 XJ12) all the 3 idler pulley failures resulted in broken belts.

Low voltage output from a slipping belt due to a bad damper, or some kind of a short causing low voltage is going to cause your car to run its battery out in a time frame that is longer than just a failed alternator.

It should be sortable, these cars are IMHO the most reliable cars Jaguar had made.

I ended up cobbling some nylon washers and spacers together to re-isolate the power point from the firewall/bulkhead area, but I know that the part is readily available, check the sponsors of the forum.

Old 09-25-2016, 03:52 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by cds
It's on the passenger side behind the exhaust
You might consider rephrasing that statement - for some owners, the passenger side is on the left, for others, the right. For some components, they follow the driver side, for others parts, they are statically located on the right or left (ie, they always live in the same location).

Old 09-25-2016, 10:10 PM
cds

Originally Posted by caldercay
You might consider rephrasing that statement - for some owners, the passenger side is on the left, for others, the right. For some components, they follow the driver side, for others parts, they are statically located on the right or left (ie, they always live in the same location).
With all due respect, I won't, I sent him a link to an image that shows the point in question clearly.

I had also mentioned behind the exhaust, which only leaves one side of the engine bay.

OP had stated he got his alternator from Autozone, which has no stores in any nation that drives on the left.

I'm trying to help the OP.

Last edited by cds; 09-25-2016 at 10:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mgb4tim (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Jorge,

So what did you find when you marked the pulley and ran the engine? Jorge? Jorge where have you gone? Has anyone seen Jorge?

Old 10-07-2016, 01:08 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

If it turns out to be the damper then I second the suggestion on rebuilding: it does not cost too much more than a used one *if* you could find one.

I think I paid $150 in all around January 2015.