XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Bought a 1995 sovereign today

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 01:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bought a 1995 sovereign today

Hi all, I have just collected my xj6 sovereign today after doing a deal for it over the weekend. found it on eBay quite locally and it was very cheap!
will start to bring it back to life over the coming months, but it's pretty clean, runs well and has a good service with some MOT.
drove it back the 45 miles to home and everything appears to work apart from an anti lock brake warning on the dash, but all gauges stayed where they should be and there were no surprises, though I have noticed a distinct whining sound as I accelerate from a stand still then it goes away, maybe a dry bearing somewhere I'm guessing?

that's it for now, will update as and when I get stuck into it, cheers for now.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:25 AM
Received 134 Likes on 100 Posts

Nice car Warwickshire registration I think.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:52 AM

Thanks, it was supplied new by jaguar cars Ltd through company vehicles, browns Lane, Coventry. I took down the old sagging headlining today and replaced with some new veltrim in a wheat colour, what an improvement straight away.
I know it's only been a couple of days but so far so good. I must also point out what a lovely driving car this is, I have had 2 V6 x type's, a 4.2 V8 S type and the X308 4.0 V8 XJR and this is my first straight six, but very pleased with the smoothness of the engine.

Old 12-11-2016, 01:29 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Congrats on your purchase. I did notice the sagging headliner in one of the pics and it is such a "bummer" that a replacement really does lift the whole interior immensely. Well done on that!
I notice some lacquer peel on the roof, also a common issue unfortunately.
I also enjoy the smooth running straight six on my Sovereign, especially as it's a 4 litre. If you're going to drive a Jag, it might as well have all the possible whistles and bells!

Enjoy the little jobs and enjoy lots of happy, safe motoring.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:47 AM

Thanks very much for your kind reply. I just thought I would add a pic of the headlining repair, so much better than having some old smelly canvas resting on your head! forgot to take a before pic I'm afraid, but I guess a lot of you know how they look already. The alarm sensors fixings were both already broken, so will have to find some appropriate fixings and pop them back up.

Last edited by vwbusbits; 12-12-2016 at 03:50 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:29 PM

If you're interested in replacing the alarm sensors, even if only for appearance sake, I can send you a pair from my donor car. (3.2 Sovereign) I'm assuming that the sensors have been disconnected or decommissioned, otherwise you might have alarm issues?

Anyway, if you pm me your address, I can pop them in the post. Happy to help keep a Jag on the road.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:42 PM

Hi sogood,

that's very kind of you and really appreciated. one of them is fine and the other has the electrical connector on the rear missing so I would only need one, how much would you like for it?

I'm trying to put it back to stock and the last piece of the puzzle is the radio as it's been fitted with some modern alpine unit which doesn't suit the car, I don't suppose you know for one of those do you?

thanks again, it's great to see another jag lover who is prepared to help another owner out, top man.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:40 AM
Default Sensor

No charge at all for the sensor, glad to help
As for the radio, the original probably died, as many do. It's a common problem. Somehow mine is still working!
Anyway, send me an address and I'll get the sensor to you. Don't think it matters if it's driver's or passenger side?

The following 2 users liked this post by sogood:
Don B (01-15-2017), vwbusbits (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 06:37 AM

address sent through pm,

thanks ever so much ago for your generosity.

cheers, simon.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:35 AM

Jag passed it's mot yesterday with just an initial failure on headlight alignment and slightly higher emissions on its second pass, so very pleased with that!
here are a few more pics if the headlining install, alarm sensors will go in again thanks to sogood being very generous :-)
​​​​:-)

Old 12-16-2016, 09:14 AM

Hi Simon, just to let you know that I put the sensors (both of them) in the post this morning. I included the backing plates and the wiring loom that goes up to the overhead centre console. You never know!!

Anyway, hope it sorts you out and if you're ever stuck for any hard to get bits, don't hesitate to let me know.

If it suits you, you might, by way of "payment" give a few quid to a charity collector or similar. Plenty of them about at this time of year. I'll leave it with you. Have a good one and congrats on your MOT pass. I have mine (NCT) due at the end of January. Fingers crossed!

Old 01-08-2017, 03:06 PM
Default Alarm sensors

Hi Simon. Just wondering if those sensors showed up and if so, did they sort you out. All the best.