XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Bulb fail indicator illuminates on turn signal and rear light dimms

Old 01-04-2017, 01:19 PM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Angry Bulb fail indicator illuminates on turn signal and rear light dimms

Hello guys,
I'm new at this forum, own a wonderful car a 1997 x300 3,2 litre sport.

Couple months ago the very annoying problem started to occure.

With headlights on when i switch right turn lever , the bulb failure light illuminates together with blinking signal. When the turn light illuminates the red parklight and brake light dimms at that moment. (as if current leak happens)

Also noticed with no headlights on, when I switch Reverse gear and apply brakes (bulb failure iluminates in dashboard) - rear lights illuminate , brake lights illuminates dimmed , and somehow turn signal orange light illuminates half dimmed.

Sometimes when i touch and wiggle the connector of bulb holder or touch and move the bulb holder, the problem disappears for short time. The connector looks fine and clean.

Everything happens on passenger rear side of a car.

Sometimes i can drive all day everything works fine, sometimes with no reason it happens all the time.

All bulbs are working, haven't changed to non OEM, maybe the module could be failing???? Could it be bulb holder maybe??

The problem occurred simply with no reason, i haven't done anything regarding to a bulb change or similar thing.
Any help and advise appreciated, because its so annoying. Wonderful car, but has its own mysteries.

Thanks guys for Your replies!

Old 01-07-2017, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Hello RB (my initials also),

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!

Please check to see if your rear turn signal bulbs are the right type:

If you look very closely you can just see that the pegs at the base of the bulb are not exactly opposite from each other. They are offset by about 30 degrees. Some amber bulbs have the pegs exactly opposite. They can be forcibly jammed into the car's turn signal socket, but will probably cause all sorts of unusual problems, such as you describe.

Another possibility is that the rear lamp control module is failing. That is the module in the trunk fuse box. But check the bulbs first, to be sure.

Even if only one of the two turn signal bulbs on each FRONT turn signal is burned out, it will cause a bulb failure warning and also a double-speed signal.

Finally, there is the possibility of corroded wires or sockets around the lights that could cause shorts or open circuits.

Good luck, keep working on it and please keep us updated.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:02 PM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi SleekJag12 ,
I rechecked all bulbs, all contacts of bulbs, rechecked the connectors from bulb holder to bulb module. Greased the connectors with dielectric grease (very nice thing for electric connectors). Everything looked fine, no burnt wires or something similar. Have put everything back and went to the city for test drive.

It appears to be working for now, but i guess its not for long, because it happened many times before, that it functions properly and after couple days its not anymore.

If the problem comes back i will try another issue of doing additional ground to body from bulbholder.

Will keep you updated guys.

The following users liked this post:
SleekJag12 (01-09-2017)