XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Buying a '96 XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wink Buying a '96 XJ6

Hello all.
I'm looking to sell my '96 Infiniti Q45 and have switched over to Jaguar!
It's Kingfischer Blue and is in god cosmetifc condition. It runs STRONG. The Previous owner is a mechanic and he tuned it up just nice. It does need a few things though:
-Right Front Brake Hose Split and cracked
-Will need new front shocks
-Leaking from Transmission tailshaft
-Needs new tires
-Sunroof motor works, but it needs to be fixed, it's loose
-Cupholder is broken

Aside from that the car is mint. Its dirty right now, but I actually enjoy making cars look new again so I'll get it up to like new condition in no time.

He's asking $2,500 and I'll offer him $2,300 tomorrow morning. Either way, I'm buying it.

What do you guys think?

On a side note, where can I find a replacement cup holder (new or used, doesn't matter) and how much do they run for?

Old 01-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like a good deal. Cup holder:

http://www.motorcarsltd.com/GNA7692AA.html

Old 01-22-2010, 04:22 PM

Wow that's a lot. I wish I could just take it off but then it would probably look stupid. Maybe I'll check out the local junkyard see if I can take one out.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:34 PM

Also, I just realized mine does not come with a key fob. Where can I get one of those?

Old 01-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Ebay - expect to pay $50 - $100 for a working used one for this car. Relatively rare remote.

Also - there are two frequencies, I think United States cars used 315mhz and Canada used 433mhz, not sure on other countries but I know you have to match the car with the right frequency remote. Good news is if you want extra keys themselves, that year did not have a chip in the key so you can get key blanks cheap and most dealers will cut for no charge.

You see the cupholders on ebay sometimes, usually as part of a whole console top, but they break a lot so it may be worth spending the money on a new one.

If you end up needing any parts for the sunroof - pm me I have the whole assembly sitting in my garage out of a 96 Vanden Plas

Last edited by mbalce; 01-24-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Exclamation

Yes I will definately need some sunroof parts...I'll PM you. I actually cannot find any key fobs on eBay for my car? Am I typing in the wrong thing? And more importantly, yesterday, being as curious as I am, pressed the valet button. BIG MISTAKE. Now my trunk won't open. The black master key on't work in the trunk manually, the trunk button on the inside does not work, I tried pressing the valet button a few more times, still NOTHING. My left license plate light is gone, so I've been trying to put a hanger up there and unlatch whatevers keeping it locked, but I can't seem to find anything except wires up there. I have no idea what to do next? I heard you can drill somewhere behind the license plate in order to gain access to the latch...but where exactly do I drill? Will a new key fob open it for me?

Old 01-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Default Ebay Remotes

This should work if you have a US car. This is actually amazing, it is supposed to be a brand new one, I have never seen a new one for sale before, only used ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-J...Q5fAccessories

The best search is "Jaguar remote" Most of the guys selling these include programming directions. I had them once, will look on my old computer if I find them I will let you know, its not too hard.

A working remote may get you in the trunk. According to the to Drivers Handbook that I still have, once the car is in Valet mode, the only way to get into the trunk is either with the black key or the remote. If your black key does not work there is definitely something amiss though, that should work even with a dead battery.

You might also try putting the black key in the drivers door and turning it clockwise, then holding it there for a couple of seconds. That should unlock all doors, fuel door, and trunk (at least unlocking it so the exterior button in the center of the lid may work again) as well as turn on the interior lights.

I can tell you that it is impossible to access the trunk through the interior of the car, fuel tank is in the way.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:56 AM

Yea thanks for he eBay link, I'll be bidding on that the last hour or so of the auction. Now as far as the trunk goes, I'm completely stuck. I did what you said about the putting the key n the drivers door and holding it and it unlocked all my doors made a beeping noise and turned on my interior lights, but did not open the trunk. My fuel filler door isn't automatic, so that didn't open either, it's one of the lift-up kind. My battery isn't dead, it's got plenty of life in it. I was doing some reading on how to program the Key fob and found that you need to have the trunk open in order to complete the syncing process, so either way I need to get this thing opened.

The original owner of the car tried to sell it for more money buy taking off the XJ6 badge on the back and replacing it with an XJ8 as well as putting V8 emblems on the pillars. Would replacing the rear emblem with the key slot in it have anything to do with this maybe?

What should I do next? I'm planning on drilling a hole, but I don't know exactly where yet. I really need to get in my trunk.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:23 AM

I am no expert, but if it was me, and I absolutelyl had to break into the trunk, I would first call a locksmith. If they could not get in, I would probably try to break into the trunk through a tail light. The right tail light is closer to the actuator I believe. You can find replacement tail lights on ebay for pretty cheap and then you do not have to repair metal/paint to get it back.

In another group (the XK8 group) there was a suggestion made to lube up the lock since everybody uses fobs these days when you have to go to the key they are sometimes frozen. May be worth it to spray some WD40 in there every day for a couple of days to see if it will free up.

You gas cap door does open manually but if you try to open it while the car is locked you should find that it will not open. It has its own lock.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by MTZGR777

The original owner of the car tried to sell it for more money buy taking off the XJ6 badge on the back and replacing it with an XJ8 as well as putting V8 emblems on the pillars. Would replacing the rear emblem with the key slot in it have anything to do with this maybe?

Got me thinking so I went out to garage and dug out the badge off my old car (still have a couple of boxes of parts from it) On mine, the badge was just stuck on with foam tape to the lid and the keyhole is just a hole, the badge is not attached to any mechanism or lock so I would say no, changing the badge should not have affected the workings. You could probably peel the badge off your car and you would still be at the same place you are now.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Wow, thanks for that info, you're a great help. Anyway I have an update. I read on another site that this is a somewhat common issue on the X300's. I found that the only way I could get into the trunk without paying $150 for a locksmith is to drill a 3/4" hole in the center of where the license plate normally is. I did that and found a little blue cylinder which I put a Phillips screwdriver in and pulled it to the right, which opened the trunk! Now, I have found the problem, all of teh electrical components of the trunk work fine, It's one of the chains in the trunk motor assembly that cam undone. I bought some plastic tubing that I'm going to try and use on it later, but I was wondering how I can access this part of the trunk? I know on the trunk lid there are those plastic button like things holding the cloth over the metal. If I take those off, they are replaceable I assume right?

On a slightly different note, I'm tired of having my sunroof lift open while I'm driving on the highway. How much do you think labor would be to repair it, if I bought the sunroof assembly off of a member on here?

All in all, I LOVE this car. It's unlike anything I've ever driven and has WAY more power than I could ever imagine this car having.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:34 AM

Good deal that you got the trunk open. The little plastic buttons can be (carefully) pried off and re-used. They are just push in type fasteners with the little plastic ribs on a post to lock them in. Small screwdriver usually works. That should give you the access you need.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remotes (fobs)

I had the same problem with only one fob. I did find one on ebay (I typed in jagaur remote and started scrolling), cost $40 + $5 for shipping. I did lose a couple of auctions that went much higher, but persistence paid off. Programing was a snap.
Good luck.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:21 PM

Alright cool I'll definately win one of those key fobs. I love the beepign noise the car makes when you lock/unlock it....makes it seem so fancy. The P.O. of the car gave me the other master key that they had just found today so I figured I'd try it in the trunk. What do ya know, it turns all the way to the right unlike the other key and WOULD HAVE opened all the way up if I hadn't knocked the chain off of its track by drilling in there a few days ago O well, tomorrow I'll be taking off those plastic rivets and try to fix the trunk as well as trying to seal up the sunroof untill the warmer weather starts to come. Mbalce, please PM with an asking price of what you want for the sunroof assembly and the color of the interior part of it. Thanks a ton.
Kyle

Old 01-30-2010, 07:54 PM
Smile Update

UPDATE: Today me and my father devoted the whole day to working on the Jag. He fixed the trunk assembly after 3 hours. It works, but not great, seems like the motor may be wearing out? I put on a new wiper blade, weatherproofed and sealed the sunroof, put in new mats, tightened up all the door hinges as well as lubricating trunk + hood hinges and antennae. I also used some white tacks to tack up the rear headliner which is slightly sagging. I also put some poured sum Fuel Injector Cleaner in the gas tank and she seems to run cleaner and idle smoother. This car is just amazing.

Next on the list:
-Replace front shocks
-Get new Pirelli P4000 tires (or others if I receive any recommendations)
-Fix F/R cracked brake line
-Find + fix transmission tailshaft slight leak
-Replace parking lights with blue colored bulbs

Can't wait to see how she runs after that's all done!

Old 01-31-2010, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I am happy since you're happy with your Jaguar
I do have a couple of recommendations on your next to do list
-Use Oem shocks
-Buy Michelin Pilot instead
-Think twice before replacing blue parking lights , you know you don't drive a cheeky japanese car

Old 01-31-2010, 02:17 PM

Great recommendations, thanks. Which thread should I upload some pictures into? I want you guys to see my car!

Old 02-01-2010, 03:54 AM
Veteran Member

Anytime, you can use our photo gallery for your pictures . You can also use Detailing Forums after you have your Jaguar cleaned .
X300 Forum also good for that job
I would like to see your Jaguar pics too

Old 02-01-2010, 12:50 PM

Thanks, I'll do that. By the way, who's that girl in your signature?

Old 02-02-2010, 03:32 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for asking
She is Charlize Theron .She also adorns my room

Quick Reply: Buying a '96 XJ6