XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Car Wrap Colours

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Car Wrap Colours

Was planning to renew the paintwork on my XJR - I call her Rose as she has factory original colour Rose Bronze Metallic, a unique colour of Jaguar in the 1995 cohort.

Although original paintwork is largely of good condition - no peeling, during the past few years Rose had to be towed from one workshop to another to give several car-medics the chance to recall her from the notorious no-start syndrome; the result is while in transit and waiting in various parking lots, Rose has suffered from dents here and there, big and small, at odd places in almost every door and side panels, which is a shame. The only way to restore her original beauty is through a series of professional panel beating and a new paint, a complete respray, which can cost a fortune to finish by a professional bodyshop.

A more affordable option is car wrap, although all the dents would still have to be redressed. However, workmanship aside, colour choice and quality of material are not an easy decision.

The X300's original colours which I like are, in order of preference:
Carnival Red - rich and classy, which suits Jaguar's majestic beauty best
Turquoise - unique and flashy, which suits the sporty character of the XJR
Rose Bronze - unique and with subtle Red or Pink, a class of her own

Have been looking around for similar colours in car wrap products, and the most difficult to find is one that can imitate Carnival Red. In fact, I also like Candy and Apple Red but have never seen anything including liquid paints in the market that can achieve the effects like those seen in these web pictures.

There are some good colours among the chrome series, e.g. Copper Dust is the closest to Rose Bronze, but chrome would be too shinny for a car like Jaguar, whereas Satin and Matt are another thing. I would like to stay in the gloss paint family.

Please share with me your experience and thoughts in colouring your cars.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:31 AM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

The subtle understated traditional look, it is a British car after all.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member

Nice, but have seen the Union Jack showing much better on the Mini's roof, on the side, at the wing mirrors or at the countryman's rear gate. The British Racing Green (BRG) seems a more fitting match on Jaguar. Or, if one has to be more imaginative, the Tube's colours might look good on the XJR.

I have seen other colour schemes on Jaguar on the racing track, but they may not show well on a 4-door saloon.

Anyhow, am not planning to go for wild colours and designs. Like Carnival Red but not sure an aftermarket spray would have the same effect. Have been looking at close substitutes and this one seems closest, but have read less than complimentary reviews about the product.

The search continues....

Old 02-19-2018, 06:40 AM
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

You could "Dip" it instead of wrap it. Peels off. Has gloss clear coat too. Some wild colors and pearls.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/collectio...-kits-by-color

Old 02-19-2018, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ric in RVA
You could "Dip" it instead of wrap it.
Thanks; won't have the DIY skill to dip my car. Moreover, the bodywork is blemished here and there needing professional fixes. Am hence not going to DIY. Wrap would also help cover up skin-deep patches.

Was thinking of retaining Rose Bronze and trying wrap. Rose Gold wrap is very close but unfortunately it is only available in chrome.