XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Charging the battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 11:57 AM
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Charging the battery

Got myself a new Carwise 8A charger as the car seems to empty a new bosch battery in 2-3 weeks. Sounds like that's normal on these cars according to some posts here.
Now, my question is; do you guys leave everything connected while charging the battery?
I have disconnected everything before putting on the clamps as I have a stereo amplifier connected to the battery as well. Can i charge the battery while the amp is still connected to + or can I damage the amp in any way by doing so?
Would be really nice to know 😊

Old 03-11-2017, 04:43 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

I always charge as isin the car.

Also, I have NO aftermarket item on any car unless it is wired through the system related to that task, NEVER wired direct AT the battery.

The X300 has 2 +ve terminals, one each side of the engine bay fuse boxes. Look down the engine side of these boxes and it is there under a rubber cover. That is what I use to charge that car. Although, it now has a 900Mamp battery tender permentantly wired to the car via the LH one of those engine bay posts. It sits for months at a time, and the battery is always topped off.

If it were mine, I would wire that amp properly, and charge the battery as it is in the car, but an 8amp is a ballsy charger, and could not be left ON as a floater.

Just my 2cents worth.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:41 AM
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
I always charge as isin the car.

Also, I have NO aftermarket item on any car unless it is wired through the system related to that task, NEVER wired direct AT the battery.

The X300 has 2 +ve terminals, one each side of the engine bay fuse boxes. Look down the engine side of these boxes and it is there under a rubber cover. That is what I use to charge that car. Although, it now has a 900Mamp battery tender permentantly wired to the car via the LH one of those engine bay posts. It sits for months at a time, and the battery is always topped off.

If it were mine, I would wire that amp properly, and charge the battery as it is in the car, but an 8amp is a ballsy charger, and could not be left ON as a floater.

Just my 2cents worth.
Very interesting Grant Francis. I once connected a spare battery to those terminals in the front to open up the boot after i ran out of battery and the boot was shut. I didn't realise you could charge the battery in this way as well.

As for the charger the instructions say you can leave it on for months and charge with everything still connected. And I have attached a separate fuse for the amp, so it should be safe. That's the way I've done with other cars I've owned.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 06:18 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcasmarcus
..... I once connected a spare battery to those terminals in the front to open up the boot after i ran out of battery and the boot was shut. I didn't realise you could charge the battery in this way as well. .....
YES - you can safely charge the battery from those terminals but NEVER attempt to jump start the vehicle from them.

We've had some members fry modules doing this.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Grant Francis (03-11-2017), mgb4tim (03-14-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 02:51 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (03-19-2017)