XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Powerflex poly busings for the X300

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question Powerflex poly busings for the X300

I've searched the forum and did find a fair number of threads in the other model sections by owners that were looking at the Powerflex polyurythane bushings for their cars.

But I haven't seen much (anything) about the applications on the X300, especially for XJR owners.

Powerflex is based in the UK, but also has a US distributor:

Powerflex - Performance Polyurethane Bushes

PowerflexUSA - XJ6 - X300 - X308 (94 - 02)

The available parts form the UK and the US distributor differ slightly, but I assume you can get the equivalent of the entire X300 catalog from either if you were to ask.

But I'm curious if anyone has used any/all of their three poly bushings (street, performance, race):

How To Choose

One thing that is interesting is that they don't have the front upper wishbone bushings, although they have the front & rear lower bushings. From what I've read, the front uppers are probably the only bushings one would want to change (and maintain the Jaguar OEM lowers) to something stiffer to improve performance and maintain ride. I've asked them if the plan to introduce front uppers.

Also of particular interest is what seems to be a poly option for the rear a-frame body bushings. Since these are prone to wear, it would be interesting to hear if anyone has used these poly bushings and if so which version (street versus race) and how they rode and lasted.

Jaguar XJ6, X300 & X308 (94 - 02) Rear Beam Bushing

The following 2 users liked this post by al_roethlisberger:
MountainMan (08-13-2014), panagiotis (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 12:31 AM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Thank you for posting these. I have always looked for poly bushings for the x300 but I could not find any.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:28 AM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

When I first got my Jag last year, I posted on here about nolathane bushes, as they are known in NZ.
I was counselled by experienced others to stick with the genuine Jaguar softer suspension bushes, which I did. I am glad I kept the supple 'genuine' ride.

I also had the original front shocks rebuilt by a Bilstein guy in Auckland, after a horrendous trial of some KYB Adjust-a-shocks. They were terrible on my car. the rebuilt bilsteins, once refitted, were a revelation.

The following 2 users liked this post by AL NZ:
al_roethlisberger (08-13-2014), MountainMan (08-13-2014)
Old 04-04-2015, 03:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey,
Anyone running poly bushes?...

Old 04-04-2015, 04:36 PM

I'm running the powerflex poly bushings for the rear stabilizer links and bar, front stabilizer bar, front lower shock mounts.
I also have the rear subframe bushings from powerflex but I haven't installed them yet. Might be a project for tomorrow.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any difference with road noise? I'm considering "refreshing" whole suspension - basically OEM everywhere, except for the front arms, where I'd try powerflex (trying to get more direct steering, sticking to OEM wouldn't help I guess).

Old 04-05-2015, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbBolivar
I also have the rear subframe bushings from powerflex but I haven't installed them yet. Might be a project for tomorrow.
Can we see pictures of that bushing?

I have a hard time believing that it fits correctly given
the comparison to the original design. Especially the
body locating spigot to bushing interface area.

I'll be interested in the results of the overall package.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by plums
Can we see pictures of that bushing?

I have a hard time believing that it fits correctly given
the comparison to the original design. Especially the
body locating spigot to bushing interface area.

I'll be interested in the results of the overall package.
I just finished installing them actually. They fit correctly, just a different design than the oem bushings... I guess?

There is a slight "slope" in the subframe that bushings conform to

The following users liked this post:
MountainMan (04-07-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member

Glad you took a break and found the post

What does the body spigot sit in?

In the original bush there is a aluminum affair in the center
with a cone area that matches the body spigot.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:12 PM
Received 12,736 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by David7
Any difference with road noise? I'm considering "refreshing" whole suspension - basically OEM everywhere, except for the front arms, where I'd try powerflex (trying to get more direct steering, sticking to OEM wouldn't help I guess).

AlbBolivar,

I'll be curious to know if you hear more differential gear whine in the passenger compartment, since one of the functions of those bushings is to isolate the diff from the body and eliminate gear noise transfer.

David7,

In addition to stiffer suspension bushes (front and rear), an additional slight improvement in steering feel can be had with the addition of steering rack stiffening bushes. See this post:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...6/#post1135265

Another variable is the tires you choose. Not all tires offer the same steering response, and if you run tires with a speed rating lower than recommended by Jaguar, the sidewalls will flex and distort more than the Jaguar engineers allowed for in the design and you can be guaranteed a sacrifice in steering response. My favorite tires on our '93 XJ40, which is essentially the same chassis as an X300, are Yokohama Advan S.4.s. Great combination of quiet comfort, handling and steering response, wet and dry traction, and long treadlife. We're on our second set. I'm sure the other top companies offer models with similar performance, but neither the Pirellis nor Michelins I've tried were as good.

And regarding the "spigot" plums is referring to, you can see it in the photo below - it's coated in copper grease to prevent siezing to the core of the bushing because water tends to collect on top of the bush:

Cheers,

Don

MountainMan (04-07-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 06:52 PM

Hey guys, the body spigot shape is cut out into the bushing so I made sure that it matched up with the new bushings.
The only metal part that came with the bushings is the sleeve for the bolt and everything is cut to fit and made to replace the original bushing. Not even the metal part made for the spigot to sit in like in the original bushings.

As for the differential noise transferring.... honestly I can't say since my exhaust is loud. Have my resonators removed and replaced the mufflers with aero turbine mufflers so they're pretty loud

Old 04-05-2015, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Thanks for letting those of us on the sidelines know.

Hope it meets your expectations on the test drive.

'course we want to know about that too!

Are you running double dogbones or single monostrut at
the rear of the differential?

I believe the single monostrut to be the better option for
handling. All X308, X300/R, and some late X300 have the
monostrut.

Last edited by plums; 04-05-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:46 PM

I'll let you guys know how it drives. After the installation I only drove it around the block to make sure everything was tight.
I'm not sure exactly what to expect though... is the steering supposed to be tighter? I just switched them out since I got 10% off of my total order from powerflex so I said why not replace these since I'm sure they've never been replaced..

On my 97 XJR I have the double wishbone struts for the differential

Old 04-05-2015, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

It's great to see someone finally installing these bushings.

As mentioned, what will be interesting & helpful will be to hear mid/long-term experience with ride quality (good, bad, noticeable versus OEM at all?), durability and any additional noise such as squeaking that others have reported with some poly bushings.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:51 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I finally got around to my front end today. All new poly bushing except for the wishbone uppers. I plan to tackle the rear later this week.

How did you remove the rear subframe bushings?

Old 04-06-2015, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Compounder
I finally got around to my front end today. All new poly bushing except for the wishbone uppers. I plan to tackle the rear later this week.

How did you remove the rear subframe bushings?
Which poly bushings did you install? Sway bar, lower shock mounts, and sway bar end links? Were you also able to install you lowering springs?

I removed the bushings using a press, but the bushings came out in two pieces. First was the inner piece with the metal since it had broken away at the rubber, the outer part was left and with the help my dad, we had to use an oil filter wrench that was just big enough to fit the diameter of the bushing to push the rest out out.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:55 AM

I installed sway bar, lower shock and lower wishbone bushings. I also put in the H & R springs, Andy's end links and Bilstien shocks. I really want to get the rear done before I give any imressions about handling. I Sneed to drive the car more to settle everything but my car sits higher now with the lowering springs. Lol. I knew my car was sagging, its got 213k on it.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:00 PM

I want to do my lower wishbone bushings also but the springs need to removed to do that so I'm just going to wait until I hear your impressions of the lowering springs and curious about Andy's end links.

Which Bilstein shocks did you go with?

Old 04-06-2015, 03:52 PM

I went with the heavy duty 4600 series shocks. Let me get the rear done so I can really tell how the car handles. Right now I will say that it is very firm and turns much sharper than before. I'll put up some pics in my original post and quit jacking this one.

Sorry for me spelling in the previous posts, I was using a my tablet that sucks for typing.

Ryan

Old 04-28-2015, 01:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced the rear frame bushings with powerflex last year.
I noticed a more stable drive on highways, changing lanes at higher speeds and overall it feels more like a train now, going where I point it.
Its still quite in the cabin, no drivetrain noises or vibrations are felt.
Feels very comfy to ride in too.
I will do the front end this year.

al_roethlisberger (04-28-2015)

Quick Reply: Powerflex poly busings for the X300