Old 11-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil conundrum

Will a Lincoln LS coil fit in my 95 XJ?
simple question

Old 11-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

In direct answer to your question.

Anything can be made to, or direct fit, almost anything. Whether it will work as the OE spec unit, NO IDEA.

EXAMPLE:

Down here, we have a car called a BA Falcon (Ford of course), and it has a coil over ignition system (same as teh AJ16). I have heard/read that the coils from them (cheap as chips) will fit and work in the AJ16. We got them at work, very different looking, but the length is the SAME, the resistance is the same, the mounting flange is DIFFERENT, and the socket for the plug requires the Jag plug to be turned upside down.

Have I tried them, NO.

Mine are just fine, no need to re-invent the wheel at this time.

Sooooo, if you have the ability to operate in my world (WAY OUTSIDE THE SQUARE), then anything is possible, and I agree 100%.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts

If you needed a temp solution, then the Lincoln coil would "work", but certainly not as a permanent solution. The Lincoln coils are taller than the ones on the XJ6, so there would be no way to refit the coil cover. If you were rigging up an emergency setup, you'd have to use the XJ6 spark plug boot with the Lincoln coil pack. The spark plug boot is the lower rubber half and simply separates from the coil pack by pulling it apart. The spark plug boot on the Lincoln coil is too short to reach the spark plug in the XJ6.

Are you certain you have a bad coil? Very often the issue is the spark plug boot has cracked allowing arcing to occur. A sure sign of this would be a ticking sound which would indicate a functional coil. The spark plug boots can be purchased for about $15 and fitted to your current coil. You can wrap your current one in electrical tape to stop the arcing until the replacement boot is available.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:50 AM

Im thinking of doing a full tune-up but yeah probably not going to but would rather have a backup plan.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:13 PM
doc
Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

I am on my second set of coils in 5 years first set I bought where cheap Chinese ones bought the whole set on Ebay for really cheap
This year one of them failed so I replaced the whole set again got them from British parts Electrical | Jaguar X300 - XJR | British Parts UK
they sent them to Australia in 3 days and they looked like the originals even had made in Japan on them like the original Nippondensos only time will tell Rock auto have Beck Arnley ones for 58 dollars US each that's pretty cheap and they do warranty there parts they are pretty close to you if I am correct

Old 08-17-2014, 05:20 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default LS V8 2000-2006 Coils do work . Not LS V6.

I have over 23,000 miles on these Lincoln Ls coils and so far smooth sailing.
I read a post here about them and immediately found them and installed them.
Hell for 51.00 for six I can afford to replace them all if one goes bad.
So far smooth as silk.
Break off the mounting tabs and turn the electrical connector upside down. The Coil pack cover sticks up about 1" but still looks good.
Jaguar OEM parts are very much over priced. I refuse to pay it.
911 New Ford Ignition Coil FD506 5C1179 C1234 Thunderbird Jaguar Lincoln LS 9302 | eBay

Just my two cents.

The following 2 users liked this post by uslow:
juha_teuvonnen (08-18-2014), panagiotis (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 04:09 PM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I think we should look into other coils that might fit the X300. I suspect that coils with similar characteristics can be adapted form other cars. There are probably not very many flavors as far as electrical characteristics are concerned. Making sure that everything fits mechanically it's a different story. Once could make a trip to the junk yard and yank some coils from common GM/Ford/Chrysler/Import setups, just to see if any will fit or can be altered to fit.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:48 AM
Default 2000-2006 Lincoln LS coils in my 1996 Vanen Plas

The LS coils can be bought on EBAY as cheap as $51.00 for 8 coils. I paid $8.50 for each coil. Just break off the mounting tabs like I did. It's very easy. I didn't like the way the electrical connectors fit. Even though you can make them fit by turning them upside down. There was too much cracking and crunching for my taste.
I went to the local "Pick A Part" scrap yard and cut the connectors off a 1999 Lincoln Continental. You can find them on so many Ford and Lincoln Vehicles from 1999 to present. Pretty much any of them with coil packs. Just cut your connectors off and splice them in. Don't be afraid to cut and splice. It's not rocket science. There was no charge for the connectors at the "Pick A Part" scrap yard.
I am extremely lucky that I read about bad coils before I spent money on other things like fuel filters and pumps,ECU issues,TPS and transmission diagnosis. I put these cheap coils in my Jag and she has been purring along ever since.
Before I replaced my bad coil packs my car was acting absolutely crazy. Idling high,low shutting off at any given moment,dash lights flashing like a Christmas tree, transmission limp mode light coming and going. The new coils solved all those issues. My car has been running perfect for 23,000 miles. If it acts up again I'm going to just replace all the coils before I do anything else.
The 2000-2006 Lincoln LS Coils are the ones from the V8 engine. Not the V6 engine.
I LOVE MY LITTLE KITTEN AGAIN. I MIGHT PROPOSE.

Attached Thumbnails Coil conundrum-20140818_165814.jpg   Coil conundrum-20140818_170848.jpg   Coil conundrum-20140818_165918.jpg   Coil conundrum-20140818_183710.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by uslow:
al_roethlisberger (08-19-2014), gr8punkin (09-02-2014), panagiotis (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Glad to hear you have found a solution that works for you..... but I don't think I would go this route.

I see a few issues:

1) It appears that nothing other than friction and gravity is holding your coils in place. I would be concerned about wear/tear from vibration, and also continuity/connectivity reliability to the plug and harness.

2) Although you are correct that modifying the coil connectors isn't complicated, a lot of owners would be hesitant to cut off the OEM connectors from the factory harness. Citing decades of splicing wires in auto harnesses, I can attest that even the best DIY crimped or soldered connections are prone to failure from mechanical stresses (esp vibration) or inconsistent impedance, etc. For something as critical as the coil connections, I'd personally avoid cutting the wiring if necessary. Instead I'd recommend at worst a pro-built connector converter/lead (built by a pro or at least use professional AMP all weather connectors with the correct crimpers, etc). Water is your enemy with high voltage.

3) And on that note, since these coils are too high for the cover to seal (to be fair even factory it isn't water tight, but... ), the spark plug wells are more likely to fill with water. The valve covers have a nasty reputation encouraging arcing and corrosion already when the boots go bad, oil leaks, etc. So adding more water is probably less than ideal.

Apologies if that all sounds less than positive, but I'm not sure that this solution will be right for everyone. I agree it might be a good cheap temp fix in the event of an original coil failure though.

I also agree that there might be a cheaper solution out there on another make/model car that will work 100% and it would be great to find one.

.... or better yet, if we find a long term reliable, affordable and consistently available OEM style coil Seems like we can find 2 out of 3 at a given time.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 08-19-2014 at 07:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
uslow (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

I had a 2002 Lincoln LS and bought the cheap Ebay coils when I hit 109k and the coils started to go my neighbor had a Lincoln Navigator at about the same time with the same misfire problem and we also ordered the EBay coils. Both cars went about 6 to 8 months till the coils went out systematically. If you've never replaced them on a Navigator it's a job you don't want to do twice. Sorry to pour water on your excitement but the EBay cheaper coils are a case of you get what you pay for. We both opted for BWD coils from advance Auto for $53 a piece (Lincoln wanted $109) and Advance Auto offered a Lifetime warranty. I wish you 100k on those coils but most that have experience with them will steer well clear.

uslow (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 01:19 PM

Thanx for your observations guys. Great advice. My decision to go this route was mostly because of the over priced OEM parts and labor. You are definitely justified in your reluctance to go this route.
I will at least do a more reliable splice job with the connectors. The coils are in the sockets very tightly. There is very little chance of one of them popping out. I know it all seams kind of risky but for the price compared to Jaguar coils I just couldn't pass this up.
Now with over 23,000 miles even with my poorly spliced connectors this route is almost a " no brainer " for me. If one of the coils were to go bad now replacing all of them would be easier and as cheap as an oil change. So far they are still firing away.
I'll be sure to post any issues that ever come up with this modification.
Thanx again guys . This forum is invaluable. You guys Rock.

Chughes2014 (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 03:36 PM

I'm think im leaning more towards us slow idea because I am tired of paying 100+ for coils and them failing again less than six months later. So I will be trying this when I get a chance.