XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

cooling fans on always

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: cooling fans on always

I had a '95 XJ6 for 10 years. The fans running all the time was not how mine operated. They only ran when they were needed. They would also run for a while after the ignition was turned off if the weather was hot.

Doug

Old 08-25-2008, 03:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess is you just need a simple fan switch. Glad if it stuck........it stuck in the on position not the off.

Brian

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...20&PTSet=A

Old 08-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too funny. I just bought a '95 XJ6 VDP with the same problem and thought that was just the way the car is. Learn something new every day! Guess I'll be buying a new switch as well.

Thanks for the link, Brian.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:47 PM

If it helps, I found one for cheaper. I haven't checked shipping though.

http://www.britishparts.co.uk/.sc/ms...RADIATOR%20FAN

Old 09-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

It's always nice to read about 200,000 mile XJ6's.

The deal with the fans is explained in the text of an old TSB, I don't have the discon this computer. By original design, the fans are thermostatically controlled and would therefore not be on constantly with ignition on.

The TSB outlines installation of a jumper link lead at the A/C low pressure switch which results in the radiator cooling fans running constantly with ignition on. If that's what your fans are doing, they're fine. If it's not, the circuit was never modified. If the fans arestill working fine on low speed and high speed without blowing fuses, don't worry about it.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:59 PM

That's exactly what's happening to me. Thanks JagTechOhio. I'll leave 'em alone!

Old 09-07-2008, 11:49 PM

Hey folks, glad someone raised this issue,same thing happens with my '95 XJ6, but it gets worse; sometimes the fans keep on running LONG after I turn off the ignition; this has happened twice, to the extent that it run down the battery and I had to jumpstart the car. No better word can describe asking a guy in a toyota or ford to help you jumpstart your Jag than 'utter humiliation'!!

Anyway, at times Istep out of the vehicleand the fans are off, but as soon as I close the door shut they turn on....I suppose due to the 'thud', or 'vibration', or 'sudden jolt' caused by this action. Recently I discovered playing around with the piece/cover under the glovebox on the passenger side kind of controls it....it would go on, and off/on....as I touched it - is there something lose there, switch, wire etc??? I'll make a point of checking to see what lies under there....

Otherwise let me know your valued opinions, guys; whaddya think....faulty thermostat? Switch?? Dunno.

G.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:13 AM

Mine shuts off as soon as the ignition is off. Your issue sounds more like either a bad switch or a loose connection. I'd check out the fan switch connections. A new fan switch isn't that much, see the above link(s). You could replace the switch, see what happens, and if the problem doesn't go away then return the part or keep it as a spare.

I wonder, too, if someone covered that TSB but did it either poorly or incorrectly. Yeah, check those wires man.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:13 PM

Will do as soon as I have time. Seems to behave for now; but that may just be 'the calm before the storm'!!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/3555/5990C7DAC8204BA18375EA775261A0DB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-09-2008, 04:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mineturns off as soon as the key is turned. I like the feature since the thermostat is doing its job the car warms up fine. FAR less proned to over heating ( use to own a 928).

kraziegreggz I love those wheels.

thanks
Brian Felts

Old 09-09-2008, 02:02 PM

Yeah, the wheels rock!!! I give credit to the previous owner though; dunno where he got them from, but they are original Jaguar and cost about $2000!! I'm planning to start up a new post, put on there a few close up pics and have you guys help me figure out from which model they came from - satisfy my curiosity!!

Old 10-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

standard performance for the X300 aux fan, they operate only when the temp sensor gets above 86 degrees, even if the keys are taken out of the switch the fan will continue to work until the temp gets down below 86, if the fan continue to run after the engine is cool, then the fan temp sensor needs to be replace, for the fan to be running when you turn on the engine from a cool stop that is absolutely not normal.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:05 AM

Can anyone tell me where the fan switch is located? I took mine to a garage
To find the fault and they said to replace the fan relay which I did, at a cost of
£55! Only to find the fans still run untill the battery is flat. I'm guessing it's the fan switch but can't find it. I have straight 6 supercharged.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Hello Jay, and welcome.

Well you dug deep for this one! Still relevant though. The fan switch is in the lower part of the radiator tank, left side. That shop took the easiest way out. Get your 55Lb back if you can and put it to that switch. Be advised you'll have to drain the coolant, because it screws into the threads of the tank. Be advised the radiator coolant drain is within the lower right donut supporting the radiator!

I don't know if it is possible to reduce coolant loss with the "swap fan switch while coolant gushes at high velocity through the hole" method. It's a large hole. Could be ugly.

Correct me if I'm wrong in some way about the XJR radiator please, Doug!

Old 10-07-2013, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
Hello Jay, and welcome.

Well you dug deep for this one! Still relevant though. The fan switch is in the lower part of the radiator tank, left side. That shop took the easiest way out. Get your 55Lb back if you can and put it to that switch. Be advised you'll have to drain the coolant, because it screws into the threads of the tank. Be advised the radiator coolant drain is within the lower right donut supporting the radiator!

I don't know if it is possible to reduce coolant loss with the "swap fan switch while coolant gushes at high velocity through the hole" method. It's a large hole. Could be ugly.

Thanks Doug I'll let you know how I get on

Old 02-06-2014, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
Hello Jay, and welcome.

are you sure the fan switch is on the lower left part of the radiator for an X300? Mine is located on the engine top left side front portion of the engine near the fuel injection rails. right on top of the water thermostat.

Attached Images  

Last edited by cool; 02-06-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by cool
are you sure the fan switch is on the lower left part of the radiator for an X300? Mine is located on the engine top left side front portion of the engine near the fuel injection rails. right on top of the water thermostat.
There is a thermostat switch located on the right side of the radiator, now can anyone enlighten us with this part and the aux fan switch? refer to # 13

Attached Images
File Type: bmp
RADIATOR HOSES2.bmp (2.25 MB, 4896 views)
Old 02-06-2014, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by cool
Yes the fan switch (thermostatic switch) is located in the radiator. The sensor with two wires on the top of the thermostat housing is the coolant temp sensor. Next to it is the coolant temp switch/sender (single wire) that feeds the instrument panel.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:12 AM
Smile

My 1996 XJ6 currently has 340,000 miles on it and everything appears to be working ok, except for the coolant level sensor. I will eventually replace that. I use the car as my primary transportation and I has plenty of power and does not require oil addition between changes, which I have done every 3000 miles. Because of an oil leak at the back of the valve cover it was necessary for me the remove the cover and replace the gasket. I was completely surprised to find not a speck of dirt or grease inside the cover, a photo is attached. I have had nothing done to the engine except for a several spark plug condensers, but have replaced three air conditioning compressors and the radiator along with the fans.

I am the original owner and when the car was new the cooling fans came on only when the car was hot and would stay on after it was turned off until it cooled. Later, after having the dealer make a small repair to the heater switch, they must have made an adjustment, because the fans came on whenever the car was started and continued until it was turned off. However, if it was hot the fans will continue until it cools.

Attached Thumbnails  cooling fans on always-1996-jaguar-valve-cover.jpg  

Quick Reply: cooling fans on always