XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

dangnabit

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default dangnabit

Hi everyone,

I am putting a new serpentine belt on my AC compressor and have become befuddled as to what size or special tool is required to pull the idler (tension) pully. I have tried every socket I have but have been unsuccessful. I thought maybe the open end of a 1/4" extension would accomadate my needs but "curses, foiled again". Anybody know about a special tool that is required? Thanks, Poor Boy

Old 05-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by poor boy
Hi everyone,

I am putting a new serpentine belt on my AC compressor and have become befuddled as to what size or special tool is required to pull the idler (tension) pully. I have tried every socket I have but have been unsuccessful. I thought maybe the open end of a 1/4" extension would accomadate my needs but "curses, foiled again". Anybody know about a special tool that is required? Thanks, Poor Boy
10mm socket to loosen the pulley and slide, then a 1/4 inch 8 point socket for backing off the adjuster to loosen the belt.

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
poor boy (05-03-2011)
Old 05-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default many, many thanks

Hi Steve! Thaks for your expertise I really appreciate it. I didn't even realize there was a slide to loosen, that may be why I couldn't get the 1/4" bolt to break loose when I put the 1/4" on it. It has been a little unseasonably cool here in the "Lower Tundra" (West Central Illinois) so haven't need any A/C yet but I know that that time is "..just around the corner.." as they say so now I can handle the job, or at least take it to my hometown mechanic and tell him what it needs in the line of tools.
I don't know if I would let him handle a really major repair but he is "certified" SAE, just don't know as to his knowledge of Jaguar repair. I certainly know he did a great job on my rotors and disc pads and thermostat replacement as well as re-charging my AC.

Again thank you for your knowledge and maybe now when the temp outside reaches 100 degrees, and it will I will ride in comfort. Poor Boy

Last edited by poor boy; 05-03-2011 at 12:10 PM. Reason: thanks and sp