XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Door handle rubber?

Old 03-01-2017, 11:43 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Door handle rubber?

The thin, black rubber seals around my XJ6 door handles have degraded (see photo), giving a worn look...any solutions someone can recommend? Are they sold as a part, and are they easy to replace?

Thanks! Trying to keep my VDP looking fresh...

C

Attached Thumbnails Door handle rubber?-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 03-01-2017, 12:48 PM
GGG
Received 16,747 Likes on 12,140 Posts

Welcome to the forum sayhitobaldy,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X300 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 03-01-2017, 02:40 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I just purchased two sets of these:

Door Handle Gasket Kit Left and Right Pair for Jaguar XJ6 XJ8 XK8 JLM 12035GSKT | eBay

A bit it a pain to remove all four inner door panels but not difficult. Handle held on with two screws I believe. When I go in to replace mine I figured I'd lubricate the window tracks and moving parts as preventive maintenance.

Last edited by RFXJ12; 03-01-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, guys--perfect.

Yah, a little searching, and I found out this was not a new question, and there's plenty of info to be found.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sayhitobaldy,

If you have the door taken apart, you can finagle the handle out of it's socket, redo the gasket with a piece of rubber or plastic, then put it back together. Problem is, you have to take the door apart entirely to get to the handle to take it off in the first place. (Otherwise you can wedge something in the gap left by the gasket to stabilize the handle, but this can be unsightly and won't hold as well.)

Had the door panels taken apart on my car a few weeks ago to fix faulty door locks and re-did the gaskets on both sides. Handles are nice and firm now. We used a piece cut (with scissors and a steady hand) from a rubber sheet, but it looks like the actual stock gaskets can be found online. Example

Good luck to you. If you decide to take the doors apart, I found this guide helpful.