XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Door trim removal tool recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 08:22 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Door trim removal tool recomendations

Can anyone recommend what tools to purchase to remove door cards etc. Part numbers or type would be great.

Thanks

Old 11-08-2017, 11:52 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts
Old 11-09-2017, 04:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

If you are removing the front door cards, the unusual feature to look out for is a "catch" towards the middle of the panel, comprising a flat piece of steel with the edge turned over to form almost a hook which protrudes from the door panel. When the door card is fitted, the hook pushes over a lip in a plastic clip which attaches to the door itself, and holds the door card onto the door in the centre. I have not yet been able to remove my door card without breaking the retaining lip off of the plastic clip. Whilst the rest of the attachments will hold the door card on, it is not at all satisfactory, and you do need to replace the plastic clip. They are cheap, and easy to fit, if you have the door card off. I keep a spare to hand......

Old 11-09-2017, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I'm not saying it's easy....but working the entire assembly upwards with a fore/aft wiggling motion (once you are certain ALL other fasteners are free!) will allow you to slide the plastic clip up off the door and it comes off with the door card. Then...you can squeeze the steel spring clip with pliers and extract it from the door card, and refit it to the door. I documented it in photos. ...I believe it is in the sticky on removing the door card. Re-installation is not nearly so challenging...I swift pop to the arm-rest with your palm should engage the clip....unless it has become brittle with age, which is increasingly common.

The clip CountyJag references is opposite the arm rest...about 3/4 of the way to the rear of it, IIRC.

CountyJag...what is your source for spare plastic clips?

The following 2 users liked this post by aholbro1:
motorcarman (11-12-2017), Scotlad (11-12-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

The part is number GNA 1374AC, and seems to be available from a number of places on Google. The link below is to a UK based vendor, where it is £0.82 per clip. There seem to be some US based vendors on Ebay, looking for $5ish.
The place where I had sourced mine (jaguar classic parts) lists them as NLA, so I suspect these are all old stock now.

JAGUAR DOOR CASING MOUNTING GUIDE CLIP GNA1374AC

Old 11-12-2017, 05:54 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
will allow you to slide the plastic clip up off the door and it comes off with the door card.
Thanks aholbro1 for correct procedure!!
Even if you do it the proscribed way, it can still break. I keep several in stock because they get brittle over time.

The plastic retainer rides in a SLOT in the sheet metal so lifting is the way to get it to the larger hole section in the steel to remove it.

The interior door trim panel has the spring steel retainer that acts like a barbed fish hook. (easy in but fiddly to remove)

bob

Old 11-12-2017, 05:56 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
CountyJag...what is your source for spare plastic clips?
aholbro1

I keep them in stock so let me know if you need any. Stop by and pick some up if you need them.

bob

The following users liked this post:
aholbro1 (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Thanks Bob! Great to know...I have all door panels off the Spruce car just now...since sometime this summer...and I think one or both are broken but can't remember. Be awhile before I get to those...front bumper also off - 3 of 4 mounting tabs on windscreen bottle are broken, but bottle is intact(may be more, but I've had "eyes on" 3 broken and 1 good) So (in my spare time) I'm working on a solution to that as a watertight bottle is rare as hen's teeth; a tough find and even tougher "get" at the Pick-n-Pull. I put the crank damper back on out in the gravel and only fit the water pump belt, radiator and hooked up xmsn and PS oil cooler lines to bring it 'round into the shop. Would like to get it up to daily-driver status so I can take my time finding the clunks in the black 95's suspension. Still need to fit the condenser and a new drier and find the secret place I hid that charge port I got from you and install it on the discharge hose...plus right-side marker lights and all locks were inoperative at last count.

Anyway, that trick of hooking up the battery cable to the WDS for 30 min or so before power-up worked a treat! Prevented the battery-failure code from interrupting and stopping the works.

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (11-13-2017)