XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Driver side tail lights inop

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Driver side tail lights inop

Driver side tail lights don't work in my 96 vp. The driver side number plate, driver side marker lamp, and both driver side tail lights in the lamp assembly don't work. I have already checked all of the wiring and cleaned up all the grounds.

On p. 87 of "XJ6 (X300) 1996 Wiring Diagrams" found here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ams-faq-34888/

It is clear that all of the inop lighting comes off the same switch in the Lamp Control module. My plan is probably to replace the Lamp Control module. Is it possible to replace only the bad switch? Is there anything else I should try before I replace the Lamp Control module? I want to do it right, but I was thinking in the meantime I could just splice the 3 wires that come off that switch into the hot for the rear fog lights. I would have no rear fog lights (does not matter to me) but I should be able to turn on all of the inop lighting by hitting the rear fog light switch.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same Problem Other Side

Looks like it was only a couple of months ago you identified this problem. Any luck replacing the lighting control module? I have a 97 XJ6 with the same problem, but on the passenger side. Two side marker lights (front and back) and both bulbs in the tail. Not sure about the plate light. I've been considering the same lighting control module, but not a cheap part to replace when I'm not sure.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I ended up doing it the free (but not right way). I used the wiring diagram I linked to in the original post. I cut the wire for the rear fog lights and used it to power the lights that were not working. It was easy and only took a couple of minutes. I had checked the numbers for the electrical before I did it and they were almost the same. The difference is small enough that it is impossible to tell visually and all of the lights look perfect. I just always leave the rear fog light switch in the on position, and I no longer have rear fog lights (which are useless to me). I'm not sure if replacing the module would fix it, but it probably would. I am not going to replace it now since the rig has worked so well; I even passes a lamp inspection with flying colors.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SnwbrdB
Looks like it was only a couple of months ago you identified this problem. Any luck replacing the lighting control module? I have a 97 XJ6 with the same problem, but on the passenger side. Two side marker lights (front and back) and both bulbs in the tail. Not sure about the plate light. I've been considering the same lighting control module, but not a cheap part to replace when I'm not sure.
Hey SnwbrdB,

I have the same problem as you (passenger side). Did you replace the Lamp Control Module? Contemplating doing this for mine and hope that is the fix.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It was a short

So I did purchase a used control module and replaced it. This turned out not to be the problem and after a fourth or fifth look finally found the culprit fuse. (Man there are about a million!) It was a fuse in the engine compartment on the passenger side. I replaced it with another 5amp. That lasted two or three days and burned again. Not sure now what to do in order to find out where there is a very slight short, enough to take some time to melt the 5amp but not enough to do it right away. At least it lasted long enough to pass the annual safety inspection.