XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Earth points.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Yes, Davey, I've removed a wing: Nearside, but LHD, so probably opposite the one you are talking about. They are bolted on, but also somewhat "glued" on with a sealant near the front of the cabin area.
I believe to do it "properly" requires removal of the front bumper. In my case, I obtained a proper-color replacement wing from a breaker to replace a collision-damaged one. Due to the collision damage at the front, the two bolts that the bumper obscures easy tool-access from were exposed. Somewhat of a surprise when re-fitting the undamaged panel that now I've got two pretty important bolts that are not showing an easy way into their assigned spots. It's been quite awhile, but IIRC, an 8mm or 10mm box-end ratchet-wrench (spanner) did the trick.

Start by raising the bonnet and removing the seals and plastic trim panels. Then remove the tyre and inner wing-liner and I believe all of the fixing bolts will be evident.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 02:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

My Lady Penelope was hit by the previous owner in the front right quarter panel and in the process of repair the owner took the insurance check and had someone who had no business with a wrench try to square it away . Although the sheet metal ( they replaced bonnet and right wing ) and paint is average in terms or craftsmanship and can be brought up to standard . The rest is garbage work . Half the bolts along the top edge are missing and out of alignment along with missing wheel well plastic trim and wire loom securing causing wire to wheel rub through past the wire insulation to the conductor . Didn't think the windshield washer reservoir was important so it was left out . Came up with a replacement with a 5 pound plastic jar and my old unworthy car Monte Carlo pumps and level switches that fits and works perfectly . They twisted the wires together controlling the lights and other things on that side ( wrongly wired ) bypassing the missing factory connectors . Hugely important RS3 connector broken and expose to the corrosive environment causing big problems . Door out of alignment . Rust behind the door hinge hidden by a closed door . Other then that I told the previous owner that I can straighter her up and would be proud the drive her . If you need assistance in straighten yours up just ask questions as you have before . When I look back at the previous mechanics work I have seen I have given up at how they have done things ( the word " really" is too polite ) and go forward .

Thanks , Parker

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 06-25-2017 at 02:43 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:03 AM
Received 134 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
No harm intended , just a difference in languages .

Thanks , Parker
Yet another example of two nations separated by an uncommon common language. And that is before the antipodeans get involved!