XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

electrical/engine gremilins after headlining replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 07:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical/engine gremilins after headlining replacement

Hi all, been a long time reader and this is the first post for some issues that just occurred with my 1997, lhd xj6 sport.

I had the headlining/ lower control arm bushes replaced last week and after receiving the car back the airbag/srs warning light was activated, the radio will stay on permanently, the alarm will chirp on locking and unlocking (not doing it previously) and the fuel economy has gone to about 200km per tank! down from the 480-500km normally experienced.

This is all a bit strange as these would seem to be unrelated issues but all occurred when the headlining/bushes were replaced.

I have disconnected the battery to reset the computer (left it about 10 mins) and nothing has changed at all on the restart.

Does anyone have any ideas as this seems quite strange and i am hoping that more experienced members may be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks Clay

Old 08-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Well, although I have not experienced it myself yet, the old guard will tell you that a low battery can make all sorts of mischief and the car was sitting for a little while, I guess. I would give her a good run, do another :reboot" and see what you have. The battery voltage should not drop below about 13 volts while running or just after.

The radio staying on is probably another cause. The buttons are multiplexed, so that if any button is stuck on, the rest, including on/off will not operate. Maybe the hradliner dude sweated or dropped his drink into a button. Its easy to do if you knock the cupholder!. try "clicking" each button to see if you can id one that seems stuck. Then try clicking that button till you loosesn it up. The correct fix is disassembly and contact cleaner, but that is a big pain in the rear.

How does the liner look and how much did it cost, if I might ask>

Old 08-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There was another thread where someone's radio wasn't shutting off. I believe they traced to a bare wire up near the sun visor that was shorting out.

Might be worth looking into as you just did the headliner...

Here's the thread:

Radio and window have power with key off

Old 08-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks imagine and sparkenzap,

battery all fine (new 6 weeks ago ac delco), will have a double look at the sunvisor/upper console wiring just to be safe but had a check yesterday to see if anything amiss. alternator putting out between 13.4 and 14 when running so i do not believe its a power issue and load testing battery is fine as well.

the headliner cost me about 300dhs (90usd) to get done and i am sure they have stuffed something else up at the same time to cause these issues.

the wife just got home and now the radio will not turn off at all, i removed the fuse and it turned off together with the antenna fien, replaced the fuse and now will not turn on???

all earths are corrosion free and anchored well to eliminate that possibility so this one has me pretty well stumped.

thanks Clay