XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Engine got immobilised ! Help !

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 11:32 AM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Engine got immobilised ! Help !

Today had a ery bad experience with my car again.
The car ran absolutely fine before that, nothing bad happened, nothing was done or repaired.
The car was left for 2 days in the parking lot. Went for a drive and - nothing. No crank at all.
Turn the key and nothing happens, with ignition on, all lights luminate and goes of with Check engine light as well.
Check engine doesn't stay on, its goes off.
Alarm key fob is well functioning - unlocks and locks the car fine.
The battery is in very good shape , changed it to new a while ago.

Anybody has experience how to reset or remove the immobiliser in this car.??
What could be wrong with this beutyfull car.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:04 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Before you go panicking, it might be worth looking at the engine cut off switch.
It's designed to cut off power to the engine/ignition in the event of an impact. Did you park in such a way as the front of the car might have gotten a nudge from another car? That's what trips the switch. Either way, it's worth looking into. It's a simple push/reset switch and is located up inside the drivers (rhd) foot well. It's a small rubber device and is easy enough to find.

On my car, if memory serves me right, it's up high, above the pedals,near the right hand side.

After that the ECU may be suspect. Have you had a lot of rain recently?

Old 01-30-2018, 02:22 PM

I doubt that there was a nudge from other car because its parked that way that no other car could touch it.

The weather indeed was very moisture these days so it could have some impact on this.

I checked ECU and found no water in besides of ECU connections

Old 01-30-2018, 03:33 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Take a look at the security module, its in the boot/trunk, behind the carpet, on the left, also check your drain channel/hole is clear (FUEL CAP) as any leaks can get in the security module.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

As you tun the key :

Do you get engine rotation ? Put your finger on the starter relay ( solenoid term used in doc )

Do you get fuel ? Put your finger on the fuel pump relay , it will click 3 times during start sequence .

Fully charged battery of 12.77 volts ? New batteries are junk and suspect . You can easily check the instrument cluster gauge .

Relay locations on page 17

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
X300 1996 LWB.pdf (2.14 MB, 112 views)

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 01-30-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:13 PM

I get no engine rotation, as i turn ignition on, all lights on and after couple seconds goes off with oil pressure and brakes on.
Normally with ignition on, the check engine light should stay on but in my case it goes off. What shoes engine immobilisation.
When i turn ignition i hear fuel relay clicking on the right heelboard so fuel is ok i guess. Battery is ok, 12.85 Volts. Since its one year old, and never had problems with it.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member

Check the starter relay and try swapping with the headlight maim beam or front fog relay . They can be hard to pull out and a penetrating spray may help .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 01-30-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

Try waggling your gear selector in park. There is a switch which inhibits the starter if the vehicle isnt in park. Very occasionally mine does what you describe, and a quick waggle of the gearstick seems to do the trick. There is an adjustment referenced in a thread somewhere, but given how infrequent mine is, I have yet to bother.
Hope this helps

Old 01-31-2018, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by countyjag
Try waggling your gear selector in park. There is a switch which inhibits the starter if the vehicle isnt in park. Very occasionally mine does what you describe, and a quick waggle of the gearstick seems to do the trick. There is an adjustment referenced in a thread somewhere, but given how infrequent mine is, I have yet to bother.
Hope this helps
This was not the case , i had this issue before, so wiggling did the thing. Also P should be illuminated in red.
Now wiggling doesn't help, P illuminates in red so i guess its ok.
Also when selector is stuck the check engine light stays on, what in my case goes off.

I suspect something is wrong with SLCM module. Will try to check connectors first, if there any moisture or water in it.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

If you pull the fwd trunk liner to get to the fuel tank you will see a multi pin connector ( # BT4 ) up high on the underside of the rear parsel shelf . If this connector migrates loose the car won't start . The locking bar can be held over to the latch position with a tie wrap . The seating of this connector can be fickle and you don't want to try too hard and possibly bend some pins or break the locking post it engages into .

Thanks , Parker , The Jaguar Whisper

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 01-31-2018 at 08:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
br549 (01-31-2018)