XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Exhaust Blow

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 12:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Exhaust Blow

Hi all,

As we have been having some (slightly) decent weather, I have been able to do some window-down style driving. This is great, but I noticed today that the old gal is quite noisy at idle (always thought she sounded very in-gentlemanly when given the stick, especially for a jaguar). Turns out, peeking my head out of the drivers door I could see a hole, about pea-sized. After looking at some exhaust diagrams, it is in the mid section of the down pipe (in line with the drivers door, for perspective).

It hasn't been running properly, rough idle and not that responsive. Could this hole be the answer to my woes?

Would there be any benefit to welding the hole, or is it really a new part thing?

Thanks,
Tom.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:32 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Tom,

There's a hole in the Cat (item 1)?

Exhaust Blow-x300-exhaust.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

A blown Manifold Gasket (item 2) or Olive (item 6) is quite regular but if the Cat has got to the point where the wall has got thin enough for a hole to develop, it's on its last legs.

If it's in the pipe before or after the Cat, welding will certainly extend its life.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
TomSaintJames (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 01:58 PM

Thanks for your speedy reply GGG, the hole is after the downpipe cats, and before the underfloor cats, it looks very close to where the number 4 arrow is pointing on your image there.

It's very bad timing, i'm in the process of buying a new set of wheels and summer tyres, as she's still on winter tyres. It'd be great if this is the cause of her rough idle and less than perfect running.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:51 AM

Hello all,

After a fairly thorough look at the exhaust system on my XJ I've decided to replace both the downpipe with precats and the intermediate pipe with the underfloor cats. Both of these pipes are blowing in places, the biggest hole being just after the downpipe goes from two to one pipe where it joins the next pipe. These pipes on the car look to be original parts! That says something for original parts quality.

My stepdad works for Euro car parts, and so did I several years ago for a couple of months in between jobs. So i have got both pipes for a very good price (£345 for both,. including VAT) ECP say they cannot get hold of any fitting bits so I'm sourcing these on the web. So far I think I need;

2 Manifold-downpipe gaskets
3 Clamps (downpipe-underfloor cat pipe, and two for the underfloor cat-silencers)
3 'Spherical seals' or olives (which seem rather expensive at £27 each!)
2 Locking nuts (manifold-downpipe)

The mounting rubbers look ok, so I will chance leaving those unless otherwise suggested. Anything I have missed?

Thanks.