XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Failed Emissions...TWICE

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down Failed Emissions...TWICE

I brought my car in for emissions just under 2 weeks ago and it failed due to a lack of computers coming on. He broke it down saying that "when we ask the engine if it's happy, we get no response because it's not on board." He said to take it and drive it on both the highway and city for about a week and come back to him. I drove about 450 miles and no check engine light or anything came on, so I brought it into him for my free re-test. He rudely came back thanking me for wasting his time and said, "you failed again, the computers still aren't ready....you should have listened to me." At that point I just left before I punched the guy in the face.

Anyway, even though there is no CEL light on, I figured I'd stop by AutoZone on my way home wot see if anything would come up if they plugged it in. When they plugged it in, it came up with one code: "CYLINDER 6 MISFIRE." He advised us to buy + replace the spark plugs. We bought them and will put them in tomorrow afternoon. My temp. plate expires in 2 days so time is running out! Any suggestions....?

Old 02-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

if you had a misfire code he SHOULD have told you. its part of the state emmissions insp. that will fail it...But he also was in a roundabout stupid way reffering to the fact that there are on board monitors that have to be avail before the state machine will pass that portion. its in a NOT READY status on 3 or more ie o2 sensors, evap system etc...there are not alot on a 96. But I can tell you that sometimes it can take an act of congress to get the monitors avail in the ecu. most times it takes 30 miles of steady state freeway driving with certain amount of gas, rpm etc.....I just had 1 yesturday that we've driven 500+ miles and still have 2 monitors not ready (its 06 and only 1 can not be ready)

Old 02-03-2010, 08:17 PM

Thanks for clarifying what that retard was trying to explaining. Here is the Inspection Report:
Exhaust: Single - WRONG!
Catalyst: Pass
Test Type: OBDII
RPM: 702
Overall OBD Result: Fail
MIL engine off: Pass
Readiness Result: Fail
Misfire: Ready
Secondary Air System: Not ready
Oxygen Sensor Heater: Ready
Connector Voltage: 13
Catalyst DTC: No
Connector Status: Pass
MIL Engine On: N/A
Fuel System: Ready
Heated Catalyst: Not Supported
A/C System: Not Supported
EGR System: Ready
PCM ID: (blank)
Diagnostic Trouble Codes: N/A
Communication Status: Pass
MIL Commanded On: No
Comprehensive Component: Ready
Evaporative System: Not Ready
Oxygen Sensor: Not Ready
Catalyst: Not Ready

PID Count: (blank)

The car runs like a top so I don't think that the previous owner cleared the codes so I wouldn't see anything...at least I'm hoping. Well I'll drive it on the highway tomorrow after replacing the Spark plugs and see how it goes. Any recommendation on how much fuel to have and how far to go at what speed etc. etc.?

Thanks,
Kyle

Old 02-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Another comment. When I checked my battery today, I found a plug that is not plugged in. It has like 4 or 5 other things plugged in but this one has nothing and it doesn't seem to have anything to be plugged in to. My car doesn't have a whole lot of accessory options compared to other Jags of this year like the VDP including heated seats etc.. so maybe this has never been used? I'll try and take a pic of it tomorrow and post it if that helps.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:12 PM

UPDATE: I spent a little over an hour today replacing all 6 Champion spark plugs with some NGK plugs. Every single one of the plugs was completely burnt. After putting these new ones in, I am at a loss of words. The car idles like a complete rock and accelerates like a rocket. It's just amazing. I drove it on the highway for about 20 miles today on top of my regular driving, so I should be all set for when I go to another emissions testing center tomorrow.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

you could ask if they can check monitors first, I can on the state machine without having to run through a whole session. But then I work for a dealership and do alot that you just would not get from a sticker shop that makes their money from inspections

Old 02-06-2010, 08:01 PM

They said no and had some b.s. explanation for why they couldn't. They also said that I basically just "need to drive it more." I'll go back there in 3 weeks or so when i feel it's ready.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the EXACT same problem with my 1997 xj6...tried driving the monitors still would not set, even though it passed emissions with good marks

the EGR and catalyst monitors could not be read. He cleaned the EGR and that monitor started working so I finally passed. But it looks like your EGR and catalyst monitors are OK