XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Fear of Transmission Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fear of Transmission Fluid Change

So I've been reading threads on this forum and trying to figure out what transmission fluid is best for my car - but the more I read the more I'm confused! I have no idea what engine/transmission model I have so I'm not sure what type of ATF to use on it.

I just purchased this car about 2 weeks ago - so far it runs pretty good, transmission shifts fine but you can feel it shift (not sure how it is 'supposed' to feel since this is my first Jag). The car is a 1997 XJ6 with a 6 cylinder 4.0 liter engine..... It has 177,000 miles so I'm very nervous to change the transmission fluid but so far the transmission seems strong and I would like to keep it running a long time so I think changing the fluid/filter is a good idea a this point.

Any idea what ATF I should use? I'm hearing a lot about Redline D4 ATF??

Any direction is appreciated.... thanks everyone!

Old 09-25-2017, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Originally Posted by spartancub
Any idea what ATF I should use? I'm hearing a lot about Redline D4 ATF??

Any direction is appreciated.... thanks everyone!
The transmission for the 3.2 L engine is the ZF4HP22 with old school fluid logic shift control and the 4.0 L is the ZF4HP24 with electronic shift control . Both same hardware as long lasting and reliable used in BMW's and others . About the only issue is the electrical connector on the transmission body gets corroded of contaminated . The 4.0 Supercharged and V12 engines use a GM 4L80 - E

See page 136 of 521 in the below Doc . Too big

See page 4 of 74 in below Doc :

See if there is a superseding Jaguar TSB on the fluids as there are on the engine coolant

I too am looking at putting in a lower viscosity fluid during flush / change if it doesn't harm the transmission . I have a case of the earlier researched recommended fluid that was gifted to me in the garage but have not done it yet , not out of issues but to rejuvenate the transmission up for free .

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2015/0...manufacturers/

Attached Thumbnails Fear of Transmission Fluid Change-jaguar-xmission-untitled.jpg   Fear of Transmission Fluid Change-zf1999chart.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 09-26-2017 at 01:00 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:49 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

1996 Vanden plas. I recently got my transmission, steering and brake fluids replaced at a local Big O Auto repair facility. I gave the manager, the copy of specifications page from the manual and asked him to source the oils/fluids. I purchased the filter for transmission from Auto Zone.
Its been a month, The gears shift very smooth. No issues so far.

ps. I told the Big O guy to save the old fluid and and take a picture of the transmission before cleaning and replacing. I am sure it was never serviced since purchase in 1996. I bought the car in 2014. Fluid was bad.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,049 Likes on 2,028 Posts

The ZF transmission in your car takes Dexron III. Brand doesn't matter.

Like most automatics, there isn't a drain plug in the torque converter, so you'll only be able to change the oil in the pan, which is about 3-4 litres out of the 8 in the transmission. I usually do a change, drive for a week, and repeat 3 times in total. That gets it to being mostly fresh oil in the transmission.

There is lots of oil wives tales about replacing fluid in a transmission, many are petrified to do it claiming all sorts of bad things will happen. I suspect that's because to most people a transmission is this scary black box. Replacing dirty lubricant with clean lubricant is never a bad thing!

Old 09-26-2017, 03:07 PM
Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

So far I have only done the down tube drain and fluid replacement, but "Baby" only has 132,000 pampered miles. I have no idea how often it had been replaced previously and the fluid was pretty decent (a little darker, but not burnt or cruddy at all). I did find though that I got about 4-1/2 quarts out of it that way.

Be sure that you have a wrench for 30 mm! I had to go buy one, as I never needed one that large before. I also have a new filter and gasket ready but wanted to cycle a few more fluid replacements first as Jagboi64 mentioned.