XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Front subframe mount ?s and some other issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Received 91 Likes on 66 Posts
Red face Front subframe mount ?s and some other issues

Im getting alot of metal clanking in the front, looks like the lower shock bushings are gone on both sides, those are gonna be fun to try to replace, but as i found that out today i noticed on the passenger side the subframe mount rubber is separating. im wondering if this could also be some of the noise im getting. when i turn to the left sometimes its like the awfull sound of something releasing/giving way.
If this thing comes apart do i risk the subframe and front end just flying off? rendering me dead?

I have replaced right side ball joints and control arm bushings
left side checked today bushings are ok. i but in need of ball joints.

I noticed also that the drivers side control arm bushings look a bit differnt than the ones i put on the pass side and the ones i bought to replace them whats that about was there a different design?
any suggestions would be welcome thanks in advance

Old 02-03-2012, 03:28 AM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts

Shawn,

Metal clacking on this model is nearly always shocker related, as you say, the tops are more common than the lower, but having said that the reports of lowers lately is rising. Sway bar related rattles are also creeping in a tad.

The subframe mount seperating on this model is NOT common that I know of. On the earlier cars, if the "V" mount failed the "clunk" was quite audile over bumps etc.

I dont believe the car will fall apart as such with the mount seperating, but it should be fixed quick time, as integrity of the whole system is now comprised somewhat.

I also keep in mind, how many cars are driven regularly with various groans/clunks/etc for quite some time until the "next service", as those owners are basically "drivers" and dont look for things, that is what servicing is all about to them. SO, now you know about it, it will play on your mind until it is fxed. At least it would for me, mmmmm.

All manufacturers vary parts from time to time, and when the model is finished, that becomes more evident. This is because aftermarket suppliers now get a bigger chunk of the supply. Jaguar never made the bushes, they were made, FOR JAGUAR, by some bush manufacturer somewhere in the world, and the same applies for any other car builder. I have had this situation over the years, and parts integrity has never been an issue.

The following users liked this post:
smgdata (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Received 91 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks for the help.